APC Forum

Farfalle Tooling

dagabu

I am making some Farfalle (Butterfly) tooling for small shells (3" ID shell hold 12) and made a couple extras while I was at it. These are made to hold 7/16" X 1-1/2" long red tubes I have for sale and are shown below.

I am gauging the desire for the tooling sets, tubes or both combined in a kit along with step by step instructions on how to make a 3" Farfelle shell from start to finish.

med_gallery_9798_35_17443.jpg

med_gallery_9798_35_44305.jpg

med_gallery_9798_35_79341.jpg

-dag

Sweeeet, one of my all time favorite effects. I'm interested! Can we see a video or picture of some of these in action? I've never made them, do you ram them dry or press them damp like a comet?

i am interested as well, also one of my favotite insert effects

I'd buy a set and tubes, & instructions if you'll let me. Edited by warthog

Sweeeet, one of my all time favorite effects. I'm interested! Can we see a video or picture of some of these in action? I've never made them, do you ram them dry or press them damp like a comet?

I am still getting the last word on comp for the inserts but it looks as if the original comp was straight forward BP plus 10-20% Fe but people have been using 10-20% Ti in past years to get the bright butterfly effect. I am using -350 atomized aluminum in mine for a more subtle effect and will then use Ti for shells that I display publicly.

They are pressed or rammed dry with no binder to speak of with a clay increment, four increments of comp and one increment of clay to top them off. In mine, I will be using an increment of flash on top and will glue in a disk to seal them up so that they pop at the end of their flight.

What would you think about a kit with 100 tubes, a 7/16" flat rammer, the base with drill guide and instructions?

-dag

I don't think you need instructions unless you plan to sell them elsewhere online besides pyro discussion boards. I'm not sure what kind of disclaimer you might need to cover yourself if you're selling to just anyone and giving instruction. I guess plenty of other people do it just fine. Sounds good though. I would be glad to do a little demo for you if you do set up a site or something to peddle your pyro wares.

I don't think you need instructions unless you plan to sell them elsewhere online besides pyro discussion boards. I'm not sure what kind of disclaimer you might need to cover yourself if you're selling to just anyone and giving instruction. I guess plenty of other people do it just fine. Sounds good though. I would be glad to do a little demo for you if you do set up a site or something to peddle your pyro wares.

Nope, sales only to my pyro buddies here. Not online and not Passfire. But demos are good ;)

-dag

Edited by dagabu

Hi dag

I use hot 75/15/10 willow bp with 10% ti-sponge. My drilling jig does 1/2" id farfalles and hummers, its effective but not pretty :)

The farfalle guide (at the bottom) has a central 3mm hole and the hummer guide (at the top) has an offset 2.5mm hole, The hi tech hairband keeps pressure on the tube while the holes are drilled.

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/colinspyro/2011/farfalleandhummertool.jpg

Hi dag

I use hot 75/15/10 willow bp with 10% ti-sponge. My drilling jig does 1/2" id farfalles and hummers, its effective but not pretty :)

The farfalle guide (at the bottom) has a central 3mm hole and the hummer guide (at the top) has an offset 2.5mm hole, The hi tech hairband keeps pressure on the tube while the holes are drilled.

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/colinspyro/2011/farfalleandhummertool.jpg

Col,

Are you drilling them before or after you fill them? The jig I made is for drilling them right after the plug is pressed then a strand of black match is inserted and the comp is pressed on top.

-dag

I do it the same way. Clay plug in first, then drill the hole. I tend to make a load of drilled cases with bottom plugs in and then fill them all, its less tedious than switching from drilling to filling :)

Here`s a test i did, not great camera work but it fizzed nice for 1" of comp.

http://youtu.be/DEpzHCY9F-I

Dag - Instructions may not be necessary, you just gave them in this thread. The tooling and tubes (or a source for the tubes) would be all I would need. I've had in mind using FeTi or steel to make a gold farfalle ring with purple stars for the guy that owns the company I shoot for (not in a public display, obviously)

I am making some Farfalle (Butterfly) tooling for small shells (3" ID shell hold 12) and made a couple extras while I was at it. These are made to hold 7/16" X 1-1/2" long red tubes I have for sale and are shown below.

I am gauging the desire for the tooling sets, tubes or both combined in a kit along with step by step instructions on how to make a 3" Farfelle shell from start to finish.

med_gallery_9798_35_17443.jpg

med_gallery_9798_35_44305.jpg

med_gallery_9798_35_79341.jpg

-dag

I thought the hole or vents went straight through the center of the tube,FARFELLE/buttery fly

I thought the hole or vents went straight through the center of the tube,FARFELLE/buttery fly

Ahhhh, you are correct sir, the holes may be in the center or the end or the top but with the holes in the bottom as such, you can make the Farfalle to report like TR makes. If the holes are centered, there is no space to put the report and they have to be longer for a longer effect.

Keep in mind that these are for small shells, a 1/2" tube 3" with a centered hole is good for larger shells.

Also, I keep the tube inside the fixture until they are complete less the report, the fixture serves as the drill guide as well.

What do you all think about this:

A bag of 100+ tubes, the base, the rammer and shipping all for $30.00?* I have plenty of the tubes so they will be around for a while. Extra bags of tubes for $7.00 a bag.

-dag

*USA only via USPS flat rate boxes.

Edited by dagabu

30 sounds fair in my opinion. Write me up for a set with 2 bags of tubes :)

30 sounds fair in my opinion. Write me up for a set with 2 bags of tubes :)

Let me get this over to the AGORA first please, I need to follow the rules here ;)

Is there any more interest? I only have so much material available and don't want to over manufacturer them.

-dag

pm'd

By the way, why is it that there is a slit up each side of the sleeve instead of just a hole large enough for the match? Doesn't the tube want to push out through the crack?

Edited by NightHawkInLight

30 is a very fair price, i am in - however if there is more interest than material or time, i will back out so someone else can use it.

pm'd

By the way, why is it that there is a slit up each side of the sleeve instead of just a hole large enough for the match? Doesn't the tube want to push out through the crack?

If you press too hard then the tube will poke out the slits but the purpose is to allow for ramming the plug, drill the hole, insert a section of blackmatch, press in the comp, plug and then press the whole finished insert out of the fixture. I am sure there other ways to do this but i like the system I have for making them but I certainly will make them without slots and just drill the cross hole(s) anywhere anybody wants along the fixture.

Just tell me how you want yours made and I will do that.

-dag

Looks like to me slits is the way to go, plug then fuse, comp, plug. Remove. The fuse can't slide out without the slits.

Looks like to me slits is the way to go, plug then fuse, comp, plug. Remove. The fuse can't slide out without the slits.

Yup, and if you dont want to drill, just a sharp awl and poke a hole through the tube, turn 180° and poke the other side.

-dag