APC Forum

Rocket Tooling

50caliber

Very cool, Dave. I suppose you just chucked the spindle in the drill press and manipulated the epoxy to form the nozzle former?

Frank,

That's exactly what I did. I had to either get a motorcycle or a lathe, bad choice, only got road rash and had to make epoxy nozzle formers. The benefit is that I can manipulate the shape with sand paper or a file. Steel wool shines it to a mirror. Not bad for about a buck of materials!

Frank,

That's exactly what I did. I had to either get a motorcycle or a lathe, bad choice, only got road rash and had to make epoxy nozzle formers. The benefit is that I can manipulate the shape with sand paper or a file. Steel wool shines it to a mirror. Not bad for about a buck of materials!

And that's your tooling from 30 years ago? Nice. It seems pyro rocketry has come quite far in the last 10-15 years.

Here is my rocket tools for core and end burner rockets..(20mm)

That picture only shows Core burner tooling.

It looks like it might have a piece for endburning sitting to the right. But that just looks like it would recess the clay and you would still have to drill through a solid plug.

And that's your tooling from 30 years ago? Nice. It seems pyro rocketry has come quite far in the last 10-15 years.

HEY!! Wait a minute, its 20 years ago, not 30!! :P

I have made and fired about a thousand rockets with these, almost no sticks, just a few, most were missiles, I like those. Flash = jail, so I just use comets or smoke. Smoke is a real challenge, get it to light, stay lit, go out before touchdown. WHEW!!

the first rammer is for end burner and the last plug too.it has got socket for screw to remove it from the tube.

With end burner tools you should still have a small spindle for the nozzle if your making BP rockets. Even for whistle I think you would get better performance with a small core.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I love pianos tooling. I like the knurling idea:D

I want to make a tube support for a 3/8" OD bottle rockets. I haven't found anything useful around the house or lab that works for anything that small.

Any ideas?

Wow, I'm actually making some aluminum clamshell supports on Thursday!

Is it for those small 1/4"ID tubes? I think the OD should be 3/8".

I'd say you could make a PVC/hose clamp suport fairly easily

Good for you Ventsi-I'm slightly jealous because I'm lacking the tools to do so.

PVC would of course be my first choice but as far as I know they don't make it for that size.

I think my 1/4" bottle rocket tubes are about 3/8" OD.

What I have for support is just a chunk of pine. I cut it from a fairly thick board with a holesaw, drilled the center hole out and then used a dremel with a grinding attachment to flare one end. So it is a combination tube support and ram-through funnel.

It doesn't tighten around the tube so they can deform a little bit but nothing major. Once the rocket is finished it is easy to push out of the support with the rammer and then twist it off the spindle.

If you really want PVC, just get a larger size, cut it length ways and heat it in an oven. It should go soft and pliable essentially forming a sheet, you can wrap it around a 3/8" tube and let it cool.

For my small spolette tubes of this size, I simply drilled a hole in a piece of wood, and sanded it smooth. It gives decen support and the tubes come out. It scratches up the outside a bit, but that just makes the glue hold better.

What's the exact OD of your tubes? Schedule 40 1/4" PVC is actually a shade under 3/8" ID, about .01" undersized.

Schedule 40 dimension table: http://www.snapfour.com/pdf/Table_38-39.pdf

supplier of 1/4" PVC:http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog_name=USPlastic&category_name=13669&product_id=16587

Note, the ID will vary somewhat, so I can't guarantee it will work. I've seen dimensions between .34-.39 or so.

I can't measure it right now. I'll get a caliper on it tomorrow. They are tight in a 3/8'' bore when I slide them into my shells. I'm sure Wolter could come up with something simple for just under $150.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sold on the concept of solid tube supports for smaller rockets. The tube will obviously expand and stick pretty hard to the bore of the support, but if the support is perhaps lubed lightly with silicone or maybe dry PTFE spray or similar, and the ejection rammer is a good fit so that it presses on the tube, and FINALLY, if you have a decent press, the loaded tubes should be ejected with little fuss. A very smooth support wall would be important.

I'm thinking this will work fine up to perhaps 4 oz. Definitely for bottle-rocket sizes, which is the only size I have tried. It greatly simplifies the creation of a support, but does add a bit more work overall when pressing the rockets.