APC Forum

What tool would you love to have

stckmndn

The masterpieces are works of art and a lot quicker than undoing bolts or hose clamps.

I can think of ways of improving the speed but it wouldnt look pretty. Having said that, most people don`t seem to mind cheap and ugly if it can do a better job for less money ;)

If you have a powered press, integrate an automatic tube clamping system for minimal cost using a standard clamshell. Fix one side solidly to the press and attach the other side to a cheap (5T-10T) short bodied ram with an additional hydraulic hose/valve.

For handramming, a hydraulic bottle jack mounted horizontally would do the same job, albeit a bit clunky compared to the short bodied ram. It would be a little slower but not much.

there are people who do casting that could mass produce them,I have seen thigs casted that you would think were done on a cnc machine(i think thats its name)

I was thinking the same thing. Mill one leaf out of wax and you're in business to make as many as you like with a silicone mold. When only making one leaf, you could easily cut it to be the proper size after the blade passes through, and leave all material loss on the rest of the cylinder which could then be scrapped.

Edited by NightHawkInLight

I was thinking the same thing. Mill one leaf out of wax and you're in business to make as many as you like with a silicone mold. When only making one leaf, you could easily cut it to be the proper size after the blade passes through, and leave all material loss on the rest of the cylinder, which would not be needed.

Agreed, once all the hard work is done by hand making a single "leaf", a master could be made and cheaply cast from whatever you wanted to use, HDPE?

-dag

Agreed, once all the hard work is done by hand making a single "leaf", a master could be made and cheaply cast from whatever you wanted to use, HDPE?

-dag

its done everyday

its done everyday

I know material is casted everyday, but if it is so easy to cast or mold HDPE into a tube support, how come nobody is selling one for a tiny percentage of a machined one?

or:

if you figure it out for a good price, I'll buy one.

It doesn't need to be HDPE, could easily be cast aluminum or any number of other things. The fact that nobody is selling them says nothing as to whether or not they can be made that way, especially in such a small group as us pyro's are. It's very possible that nobody thought about it, or if someone did they decided it wasn't a venture they would want to undertake. Me for example. Edited by NightHawkInLight

It doesn't need to be HDPE, could easily be cast aluminum or any number of other things. The fact that nobody is selling them says nothing as to whether or not they can be made that way, especially in such a small group as us pyro's are. It's very possible that nobody thought about it, or if someone did they decided it wasn't a venture they would want to undertake. Me for example.

your right Hawk,that exact same technology has been used in the jewelry business forever split ring shanks that expand to enlarge a ring or bracelet,It had a cam inside that moved in and out forcing the wedges outward you could slide a ring on it and bump it up 1 or 2 sizes easily,we spent 30 seconds to do the job sat for 25 minutes doing other things then give the ring back to the customer! For holding tubes it seems like a damn good way and EASY way to conatain a motor being rammed