APC Forum

What tool would you love to have

stckmndn

I was looking at THIS <--

in terms of amount of types of stars and such, great deal at the 3X single price.

Still very expensive thoe

A fancy hydraulic press with double action ram, that has enough range to press up to 3 lb devices, a jig to align and extract the rammer, and able to be broke down so it is portable for club events. Basically a press similar to what firesmith sells with modifications like and HPA member built.

edit: I couldn't justify the price to buy it and have the modifications made. However if I build it myself over time, I can get it.

Edited by nater

1 pound rocket.

dan.

I have always wanted one of those super duper CTFC some guy is flogging or hawking on passfire,lol!

I have always wanted one of those super duper CTFC some guy is flogging or hawking on passfire,lol!

I hear those are good. And they're only $30. Can you believe it? I don't even use time fuse and I'm thinking about getting one!

A factory quality visco or time fuse machine. Though, I actually would probably find a way to justify the price if one came on the market. Specialty fuses like falling leaves and flying fish is becoming scarce. I would love to become a domestic supplier - Not to mention I would get to experiment like crazy making exotic fuses.

Right now for me it is a Collet Style Tube Support for pressing my 1 lb rocket motors. How cool is that thing? No nuts or bolts. Just a piece of art, really.

I wouldn't mind having a tube roller.

WASP. 'nuff said.

A factory quality visco or time fuse machine. Though, I actually would probably find a way to justify the price if one came on the market. Specialty fuses like falling leaves and flying fish is becoming scarce. I would love to become a domestic supplier - Not to mention I would get to experiment like crazy making exotic fuses.

AWWWWW! I can only pick one? laugh2.gif

-dag

AWWWWW! I can only pick one? laugh2.gif

Pick as many as you want, but Santa may think you're a greedy little boy and only bring you a lump of (char)coal. <_<

If you've otherwise been good, however, it may be a lump of Pawlonia.

Right now for me it is a Collet Style Tube Support for pressing my 1 lb rocket motors. How cool is that thing? No nuts or bolts. Just a piece of art, really.

How about you?

Ooo, neat, I haven't seen those before. I bet you could make one of those that would work adequately well with schedule 80 PVC and couplings. A little grease inside the couplings would no doubt be a big help in removing them.

Ooo, neat, I haven't seen those before. I bet you could make one of those that would work adequately well with schedule 80 PVC and couplings. A little grease inside the couplings would no doubt be a big help in removing them.

Ahhh, but look at it very closely. It's an engineering masterpiece. It tapers from thinner at the top to thicker at the bottom. The round sleeves are machined to fit just as they are right where they are.

I have no idea how it was done but it is a beautiful thing.

Ahhh, but look at it very closely. It's an engineering masterpiece. It tapers from thinner at the top to thicker at the bottom. The round sleeves are machined to fit just as they are right where they are.

I have no idea how it was done but it is a beautiful thing.

Certainly, I understand how complex it must have been to make. I simply mean to say that something that works adequately well and in a similar fashion might be able to be made from PVC. You would just have to tolerate some gaps between the pieces from where the saw took out a small part of the circumference.

Certainly, I understand how complex it must have been to make. I simply mean to say that something that works adequately well and in a similar fashion might be able to be made from PVC. You would just have to tolerate some gaps between the pieces from where the saw took out a small part of the circumference.

You've just hit the nail on the head as to why they're engineering masterpieces, and have an associated price. I assure you they're not as simple as putting a taper on the exterior of the tube, and cutting it into 4 pieces. Steve LaDuke had a set made a few years ago from Rich Wolter, using 3 leaves instead of 4, and I was privy to the kind of labor it takes to make, and was told he'd never make one again.

Perhaps Ben has found a new way to make them, as they're not THAT much more than clamshells. 4 leaves possibly have less issues than 3.

I did see the piece Rich Wolter made. IIRC it was a challenge which he met with flying colors. That's why I was so surprised to see Ben making this one. And it's only $40 more than the old clamshell design. Amazing machinists, both.

This would be the one for me too.

You've just hit the nail on the head as to why they're engineering masterpieces, and have an associated price. I assure you they're not as simple as putting a taper on the exterior of the tube, and cutting it into 4 pieces. Steve LaDuke had a set made a few years ago from Rich Wolter, using 3 leaves instead of 4, and I was privy to the kind of labor it takes to make, and was told he'd never make one again.

Perhaps Ben has found a new way to make them, as they're not THAT much more than clamshells. 4 leaves possibly have less issues than 3.

I very much understand the machining issues. What I am suggesting is that small gaps between the leaves the width of a band saw blade may not be enough for the tube to fail through the cracks. It won't look pretty like that micrometer machined aluminum, but I'll bet that sch 80 pvc supported by a number of couplings would make a usable support that is much quicker to remove and replace than a split pipe and hose clamps. I'll give it a shot when I get a chance and see how it turns out. I'd be careful about doubting me, you know how good I am at taking a beautiful method and finding an ugly and cheap way of doing it.

I'd be careful about doubting me, you know how good I am at taking a beautiful method and finding an ugly and cheap way of doing it.

LOL! You too!?! laugh2.gif

-dag

A lathe, and milling machine. In my own shop. Using friends is a PITA, resulting in hangovers, much too numerous.

there are people who do casting that could mass produce them,I have seen thigs casted that you would think were done on a cnc machine(i think thats its name)