APC Forum

New rocket ignition.

Verge

i'd be curious to know if anyone has tried formulas with coloring agents in them, like an Sr(NO3)2. a red flamed rocket spitting out titanium dross would look awesome in a dark sky. it'd probably need a more powerful supplamentary oxidizer along side it though in order to produce a fast enough propellent.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dagabu

• stckmndn

• r1dermon

• allrocketspsl

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i'd be curious to know if anyone has tried formulas with coloring agents in them, like an Sr(NO3)2. a red flamed rocket spitting out titanium dross would look awesome in a dark sky. it'd probably need a more powerful supplamentary oxidizer along side it though in order to produce a fast enough propellent.

r1dermon, have you heard of these?

http://www.wichitabuggywhip.com/fireworks/rockets/strontiumrockets.html

I top lite the top of core on every rocket havent had a CATO in a long time and my engines are maxed out right on the edge its the only way as far as Im concerned makes a great swish when they go up

I core light almost all of mine. I'd bet there is little difference between the two methods however. Can't imagine one way fills the cavity with fire any faster than the other. That said, I have two rockets set aside for a test.

I core light almost all of mine. I'd bet there is little difference between the two methods however. Can't imagine one way fills the cavity with fire any faster than the other. That said, I have two rockets set aside for a test.

put a 200 gram header on a one pounder I think youll see the diff nice to see your test

Do you really think I'll get a faster take off with the top light as opposed to the core light?

Do you really think I'll get a faster take off with the top light as opposed to the core light?

stick a piece of bent visco up the core about one inch,watch it take off.Then use a fuse of bm to top core lite and yes you will see the diff with or without any payload.I have done both many times.With payload a big diff if its max weight for that rocket.Copy paste this link my last and first 2lb rocket is top core lit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEtzWnVDrBU

Yup, I do understand completely, I used to cast APCP motors that had to be top-lit. There is a place for top lighting but my push back comes from the place where we as artisans are also looking for slow rising motors as well as fast rising motors. Top lighting spikes the thrust at the ignition and then flattens, this is great for heavy lifting and speed but kills soft tubes, slow lift offs and such.

I am every bit for the art aspect as I am for the immediacy but dont wish to push aside one for thew other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpPZk39bJeQ

-dag

that was beautiful my friend,smooth rocket great reports

the link you posted i have flown the red many times when it takes fire it lights up red everywhere,majestic as it takes off,just never got a good size header on one

I have a few of these going up on Thursday night but the speed is only so-so and the lift as you say is unimpressive. I have a few with whistle booster under the fuel to see if I can boost the rocket up too 300' and then let the red shine.

-dag

I have a few of these going up on Thursday night but the speed is only so-so and the lift as you say is unimpressive. I have a few with whistle booster under the fuel to see if I can boost the rocket up too 300' and then let the red shine.

-dag

the whistle kick i would think should do the trick like to see it.

I've clearly used a different formula in the past. I'll look into getting it. The colored rockets I'm experienced with were built on BP tooling, and out preformed BP easily. IE a 4" ball shell on a 1lb rocket vs. a 3" ball or canister.

If you want to improve the performance of those formulas, you can star by trying to use saran in place of at least part of the PVC or parlon (I'd start with PVC). It burns much cleaner and faster.

Sounds GREAT Mum! I got a bunch of saran when I couldn't find PVC last year and have been looking for a place to use it.

I am using 3# BP tooling tonight with this mix and as luck would have it, I have not made another batch. If this works, I will owe you another beer at PGI in... When are you coming to PGI again, 2014? :blush:

-dag

There's a 10% chance for this year, but I'll definitely be there next year. I've got to get Grandmaster at least once before the apocalypse/rapture/end of the world.

There's a 10% chance for this year, but I'll definitely be there next year. I've got to get Grandmaster at least once before the apocalypse/rapture/end of the world.

Thats coming in 2012 you know ;)

-dag

stick a piece of bent visco up the core about one inch,watch it take off.Then use a fuse of bm to top core lite and yes you will see the diff with or without any payload.I have done both many times.With payload a big diff if its max weight for that rocket.Copy paste this link my last and first 2lb rocket is top core lit!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=pEtzWnVDrBU

I think you may misunderstand how I light my rockets. See post #2 and #6. I'm lighting the entire core at once with a very fast paper fuse.

There is definitely a big difference between this way (core lighting) and end lighting with a J hook. My point was that my core lighting would work just as quickly as your top lighting. At least I don't see how there would be much of a difference.

Thats coming in 2012 you know ;)

-dag

Yes, approximately 4 month after the parades and bronze statues commemorating my grandmaster status. :D I'll probably settle for winning one competition though.

I hope you get Grand Master too. Apparently Jim got points for not hitting the rim on a bathroom break. ;)

-dag

I think you may misunderstand how I light my rockets. See post #2 and #6. I'm lighting the entire core at once with a very fast paper fuse.

There is definitely a big difference between this way (core lighting) and end lighting with a J hook. My point was that my core lighting would work just as quickly as your top lighting. At least I don't see how there would be much of a difference.

thats cool good luck