APC Forum

Pyro Glues

AdmiralDonSnider

Wow this thread did quite well since my last visit. Thanks for the insight.

I´m particularly exited about the "urea - formaldehyde". Anymore info around about this, its strenghts and availability?

Wow this thread did quite well since my last visit. Thanks for the insight.

I´m particularly exited about the "urea - formaldehyde". Anymore info around about this, its strenghts and availability?

Is this the Urea that one can buy in the 50# bag mixed with something else?

Never-mind... LINK

-dag

Edited by dagabu

Has anyone ever tried that stuff, or something like it? Any application would be interesting, but I was thinking more as a binder/fuel. The extrudable hummer compositions and resin cured comets come to mind, but with a longer working/drying time.

Good find Dagabu...

I wonder if this could serve the purpose at hand.?

Also as mentioned I wonder 2nd , if this could serve as a binder for some comps / propellants ...etc....

Also , another thought that comes to mind... Is Urea still on the market as a fertilizer ? (sold as 50# bags etc). I cant find it anywhere in the States ...

Edited by pyrojig

Urea is still on the market here in the EU as a fertilizer. In my hometown there is even a chemical plant that produces glues and other stuff from Urea. But, of course these sources are not available for the common man....

Good find Dagabu...

I wonder if this could serve the purpose at hand.?

Also as mentioned I wonder 2nd , if this could serve as a binder for some comps / propellants ...etc....

Also , another thought that comes to mind... Is Urea still on the market as a fertilizer ? (sold as 50# bags etc). I cant find it anywhere in the States ...

$18.00 a 50# bag about a mile from my house. Anything pyro related that I could use it for?

-dag

ok, I've been reluctant to ask for obvious reasons.

What was the glue used on the old factory made M-80?

The ends were filled with a slightly opaque hard substance, the stuff obviously pulverized upon detonation, I lit thousands of them and surely would have been hit by the end plugs if they stayed intact.

A strong glue that fracture easily could come in handy

hey dag,

you might have missed this one from the same site as the cp-0503

http://www.cpadhesiv...1-gallon-bottle

very useful resin in comets i understand, cures at ~50c to give waterproof material.

its in quite common use in the uk by some and possibly the chinese, really worth checking out

viscous, but can be thinned down, need ~5% -10% tops

cooperman from ukpyrosoc sells and uses it, check with him for more info

dave

hey dag,

you might have missed this one from the same site as the cp-0503

http://www.cpadhesiv...1-gallon-bottle

very useful resin in comets i understand, cures at ~50c to give waterproof material.

its in quite common use in the uk by some and possibly the chinese, really worth checking out

viscous, but can be thinned down, need ~5% -10% tops

cooperman from ukpyrosoc sells and uses it, check with him for more info

dave

LOL! That's funny because that is what I was actually looking for when I started my search. Thanks Dave!

-dag

ok, I've been reluctant to ask for obvious reasons.

What was the glue used on the old factory made M-80?

The ends were filled with a slightly opaque hard substance, the stuff obviously pulverized upon detonation, I lit thousands of them and surely would have been hit by the end plugs if they stayed intact.

A strong glue that fracture easily could come in handy

The genuine, original M80 didn't use any glue at all. The ends were crimped. If there was any glue it would certainly have been called out in the drawing (below). For civilian imitations at the time they were legal, there wouldn't have been many choices, since Elmers and hot glue hadn't been invented and the epoxy of that era took over 24 hours to set. My guess would be casein, since that's what my dad used to stick wooden things together when I was a kid. If I recall correctly the powder mixed up to a sticky paste and set sort of grayish translucent when the water evaporated.

post-10245-0-67766800-1311307566_thumb.jpg

I have to believe that they at least glued the fuse into the tube.... Maybe they rolled the ends in addition to the gluing of the plugs. Just because they didnt state it doesnt meant that they didnt glue it. I just dont think they where very clear on the fine details back then on their manufacture,same as they are today . In order to keep thing s a C.O. trade secret. Edited by pyrojig

I had my hands on a few of the Military type, yes they were rolled similar to old shotgun shells.

The aftermarket civilian version had both ends filled with a hard substance.

It's embarrasing to say, but I had the formula/recipe for making it but that was long ago and memory fails me :blush:

but that was nearly 50 yrs ago

We could buy the "Rodent contol" versions for $2.70 per half gross (72)