APC Forum

Left Field Question

RobPrideaux

Hey so I tested a couple things today with alcohol, but I used Isopropyl, as I haven't had time to get Methanol yet.

I put about 4 oz of Potassium Chloride (food grade stuff from the grocery store) in about 12 oz of Isopropyl Alcohol. Either I used too much, or that stuff doesn't like to dissolve in alcohol, because most of it ended up settling on the bottom. I made a 3" diameter pile of cotton balls on top of the tiny Weber grill, poured the solution over that, and lit it. There was a faint magenta tinge to the flame near the wick, but most of the flame was the regular orange.

I dusted the fire with boric acid, and much of the flame would go green for a sec, but then it was back to orange.

I guess I need to soak my media (cotton balls) in a solution of the chemical and water, let it dry out, then douse that with alcohol, and light it up?

Obviously, this is no good for fireballs anyway. It's for

. Unfortunately, I think I need a MUCH bigger fan. The best I could do is this:

http://www.robprideaux.com/temp/_MG_2204sm.jpg

And that's mainly from the semispherical bowl of the Weber grill and the way I poured the alcohol.

Not great results, but a little progress. Thanks for the help.

It's not really soluble in alcohol. Sodium chloride isn't much better. The hydroxides are both soluble in alcohol, as is potassium iodide to some degree. Sorry, I didn't see the suggestions earlier. You are positive you got purely potassium chloride, not a mix of potassium chloride and sodium chloride, right? Both are common as sodium lowering agent.

It's sodium free Potassium Chloride with Magnesium Carbonate (as a flowing agent).

Sodium Hydroxide is Lye, right? What color does that make, and aside from keeping it off my skin, what should I be worried about?

Potassium Iodide seems safer, what color would that be? Also good for radiation poisoning! Wikipedia says it's soluble in acetone, which is flammable. Is that dangerous?