APC Forum

Ball Mill Media

Blackthumb

No kidding that thing is a MONSTER! Mine is set up to be able to turn big honking jars I just have not been able to find the materials........ Yet! One day I will stumble across some 10-12" material and the heavens will part and a light shall beam down and there will be great rejoicing!

• 1 year later...

Anyone knows non-US (european) sources for zirc m media?

Currently building a new mill and read so many positive comments that I would like to try it...

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking about changing from lead media, to Zirconia media for ball milling BP, to cut down wear rate of the media and also try and be a bit more environmentally "friendly" (This way I can at least "sell" the concept and justify the high cost somewhat, to my wife http://74.220.215.62/~rjamesyc/www.pyroguideforum.com/images/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif. I am currently using PyroCreations alumina ceramic cylinders (25 x 1/2in plus 25 x 13/16in) for milling individual components, but have so far stayed with 1/2in lead for BP. I am using Loretone 3lb barrels with their 6lb tumbler, running at around 80 RPM.

Zirconia is expensive and I would like to make the best choice of size and shape at the start. What are the pro's and con's of round media versus cyclindrical media (with radiused edges)? Both are available at similar cost. This barrel and media will be dedicated to BP milling.

I was thinking of getting either 12mm round, or cylinders, but is there any added benefit in going to two different sizes at the same time, in the barrel? Options are 10, 12, 15 and 20mm.

I am thinking about changing from lead media, to Zirconia media for ball milling BP, to cut down wear rate of the media and also try and be a bit more environmentally "friendly" (This way I can at least "sell" the concept and justify the high cost somewhat, to my wife http://74.220.215.62/~rjamesyc/www.pyroguideforum.com/images/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif.

I recently milled 1Kg of BP for 3hrs with non-hardened lead media, I weighed it again afterwards and it had gained 25g! So I see what you mean... but it's not enough to concern me.

Zirconia is quite hard to get over in the EU probably better to look at SiC or Ceramic media (Alumiinium Oxide) have a look at Inoxia

Are there any current US suppliers for Zirc M?

That looks a little bit different than the yellowish media posted before. Is that the same stuff?

That looks a little bit different than the yellowish media posted before. Is that the same stuff?

I think the yellowish media you have seen is used media and is stained from the material it has been previously milling. All the YSZ Zirconia from manufacturers I have seen has been white. But I guess there may be other types of ZIrconia.