APC Forum

Steps Toward Legal Manufacture, Transportation, and Storage

NightHawkInLight

I was curious why a hobbyist builder would choose the license over the permit? I know the license allows one to manufacture but the ATF defines manufacturer as " any person engaged in the business of manufacturing explosive materials for purposes of sale or distribution" It is my goal to purchase 1.3 fireworks, transport them, purchase explosive materials and make fireworks for my own use. Since the ATF has done away with the explosive/high explosive nomenclature I should be able to do this with an explosive permit???? I have access to a club type 4 magazine on my property.

Dick

Yeah you would be fine on a permit. There's no reason for most people to go for a manufacturers, though they are not any harder to come by. I went for a manufacturers because I shoot a lot of videos which I get paid for, which walks a fine line with manufacturing.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NightHawkInLight

• dagabu

• Algenco

• cogbarry

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

moapa indian reservation. you tell the tribe police you have some homemade fireworks to set off and they come watch for fun :D

I will send in my application for permit this week. ATF will inspect the magazine at that time. Need to clear a little more brush to the 50' distance for the it to be all set. Town knows as we got a building permit to set the 20' container.

Both the Fire and Police chiefs are good to work with. Was told to go for ATF approval first, then the state will just sign it.

Any clues on how the interview with the ATF goes????

So glad I found this forum. SO much knowledge...

Dick

One question

So is it legal for me to make small 2 inch shells as a hobby and launch them on my own property withIn 24 hours

Edited by Tanner808

One question

So is it legal for me to make small 2 inch shells as a hobby and launch them on my own property withIn 24 hours

The size of the shell doesn't matter. Making 2 inch shells is no more or less legal than 12. Smaller shells look less conspicuous, that's about it. Whether or not it's legal for you depends on state and local laws. If you need a permit to fire commercial firework shells, you likely need a permit to fire homemade shells.

• 1 year later...
I just talked to the state fire marshal here in maine and was told I need to work under someones license for 5 shoots then take a state test then I can apply for my license I don't think he understood my question

I just talked to the state fire marshal here in maine and was told I need to work under someones license for 5 shoots then take a state test then I can apply for my license I don't think he understood my question

It's to prove that you have experience with 1.3g, I've heard that a lot, it's quite common actually.