APC Forum

Other uses for pyro skills

MadMax

Are you sick of hearing from your girlfriend/parents/whoever that you need to "grow up" and quit your silly pyrotechnics hobby? I know I am tired of having to justify it. Why not retort with something they would find useful?

Perfect example:

20 parts water

5 parts dish soap

2 parts isopropyl alcohol

1 spray bottle

Dirty dish anti-food-adhesion spray. When you are done with your dishes park them in the sink and give'em a spray or 2. Set it and forget it. When you go to wash it, much easier to clean off and no application of soap needed! Most of the time they just rinse off with a quick spray of hot water.

So stick that in your hat and smoke it sweetheart!

So stick that in your hat and smoke it sweetheart!

I think you mean put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Also, I definitely need more of this type of exceuse. Please think up more for me. :D

Are you sick of hearing from your girlfriend/parents/whoever that you need to "grow up" and quit your silly pyrotechnics hobby? I

It's a little rougher when your wife of 20 years is playing that card :lol:

It's even rougher when she takes all your pyrotechnic info to the cops and tries to throw you in jail.

alexthegreat00,

It's called malprose.

Richtee,

Good reason to never get maried. Personally I am maried to science and my girlfriend is my mistress which is probably why I still love her

Cookieman,

See above ^^^^^

Ok here are a few more idea...

About a year ago a friend of mine got scabies skin infection on his legs. The dude got it from hotel linens of all places. Anyway for him I took a bar of normal soap and melted it down dissolving in my finest USP medical grade sulfur.

I needed a mouldable adhesive so I dissolved some CA glue in a little acetone and mixed that with minwax wood hardener and added to that some durham's rock-hard.

Not long ago a friend of mine had some data on a cd with some deep scratches. So I took some motor oil and threw in a small amount of ultrafine dark germal flake al and used this as an abrasive. I dipped some q-tips in that and spun the q-tips in a drill buffing out the scratches. In all honesty they weren't able to read the cd afterward because I also found damage on the back of the cd but it was worth a try - and it probably would have worked had there not been back-scratches.

A few months ago my gf complained that her washing machine produced a foul odor that stunk up her whole house. She does bleach stuff so whatever it was it was not phased by bleach. Clearly something stronger was needed. So I gave her a vial of some KMnO4 (not much a gram or two) and told her to do a rince cycle with just that and chase it with some H2O2. It scavenges and kills pretty much any organic matter so I knew it would kill whatever it was in there. The smell has not returned since.

Disclaimer: KMnO4 really has no place in pyrotechnics but I only had it because it was something I had tried out starting out in pyrotechnics and lost interest in due to it's uselessness.

It's even rougher when she takes all your pyrotechnic info to the cops and tries to throw you in jail.

Good to see you're still around after your uncertainty of the possible events of the other day. Hope things are going as well as possible.

Good to see you're still around after your uncertainty of the possible events of the other day. Hope things are going as well as possible.

Thanks Nighthawk!! I thought for sure I was a gonner based on the evidence she provided.And in response to Madmax,I used to think like you before I had my shotgun wedding.You can prolong your destiny,but you can't change it.

• 2 weeks later...

just tell them that if they are ever stuck in a fire, you have had so much experience with burns that you could just walk straight through the flames and rescue them*

*just don't mention that there is an eighty percent chance that the fire was caused by a stray aerial shell :P

Edited by madmandotcom

Do you ever think before posting?

Seriously, I'm getting sick of it. Most of your posts have no useful content, but this isn't the first time you've alluded or attempted* to joke about unsafe practices with pyrotechnics. There is nothing funny about starting life-threatening fires or causing burns through gross incompetence and negligence by firing close to civilization.

* - attempted because you are even worse at trying to be funny than you are at pyro.

Fire Starter

I'm sure there are many creative pyro options for fire starter but I'm going simple; Visco and Magnesium ribbon.

It's Lite and compact for packing and it puts out lots of flame and heat to get your tender going.

I would like suggestions for a fire starter comp that dries like peanut brittle and puts out a more prolonged flame.

You could break it up and carry it in a baggy or better yet pour it in molds with a fuse sticking out.

I can't tell you how many times I've needed a fire and I could only find damp tender.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/killforfood/Pyro/ElkHunt2010050.jpg

There really isn't much I've found that works better than a wax/fuel mixture. Sawdust or charcoal does well soaked in wax and hardened into bricks. Long duration, heavy flame. Anything slow burning with an oxidizer that I've tried tends not to put out much flame for whatever reason. Possibly because the gasses expelled from the accelerated burning prevents atmospheric oxygen from reaching the fuel. Or possibly because the fuel burns too efficiently for a good portion to gassify and burn in air which is what creates large flames.

A tip for finding dry wood on wet days: Look for dead branches and twigs still attached to trees. Usually the low ones stay quite dry even in heavy rain, and even when they get wet the airflow drys them quickly enough that they never get wet through to the center. Pine trees especially tend to have a lot of dead dry branches on the inside of the green outer cover. Started a few fires in pouring rain just last week that way.

Just think about all the other skills many pyro learn alongside their craft: Chemistry, Physics, Woodworking, Metalworking, Smelting, Paper-Mache, Photography / Videography (along with computer editing), Foreign Languages (think papers written under Fulcanelli). There's the added benefit of time spent outdoors, physical labor of hauling racks, digging holes for guns. I'm sure I could keep going if I tried.

As for me, I don't have to justify my hobbies to my wife, as long as I take reasonable precautions to be safe. She supports my biking and pyro and always says she's glad I don't play golf.

You may want to try that again. That is a link to the generic search page.

I would call it more tucking into the back of my mind. When someone keeps doing it, like you, I remember things like that. Yes, I agree with Dagabu, you are just taking up space with your useless comments. Trying to defend and justify your idiotic posts just makes you look like an even bigger ass than you probably actually are.

MMDC,

I’m concerned that you may be miss-using, possibly even abusing your chemicals.

A recent article in the New England Journal of Medicine described symptoms similar to what you exhibit on this forum by people who snort Hiff. Eventually if the addiction is not treated, you become full of it. Based on your recent posts, I would suggest that you are completely full of it.

PLEASE!!! Seek treatment now.

Another perfectly good thread spirals out of control.

Oh yes you are. I have seen you Sniff Hiff on several occasions myself .

You're an idiot. Don't keep taking threads off topic, and retaining them that way.

Oh yes you are. I have seen you Sniff Hiff on several occasions myself .

Please, for the love of God, SHUT UP!!!