APC Forum

Easter Egg Shells

Blackthumb

Have you all noticed the 'baseball and basketball' plastic spheres mixed in with the eggs at WalMart? Gonna grab some after the Easter frenzie!

What glue, if any, works on these eggs? Xylene, MEK etc. just run off. They must be some kind of unstickable plastic like polypropylene.

What type of glue did we use on our old Revell model kits? Seems like the same kind of plastic as the eggs.

Also what is the solvent in PVC pipe glue? Acetone?

What type of glue did we use on our old Revell model kits? Seems like the same kind of plastic as the eggs.

Also what is the solvent in PVC pipe glue? Acetone?

post-9798-0-73819100-1303225690_thumb.jpg

post-9798-0-32166400-1303225809_thumb.jpg

Edited by dagabu

Ah yes, Testors model glue. That brings back a lot of fond memories.

Flash back, late 60's: Are you serious? I can win that giant model Air Craft Carrier and all I have to do is be the first boy to memorize the B Attitudes! One Sunday later and it was mine (which is amazing considering that I can't even remember what I had for dinner last night). A few tubes of Testors later and it was straight to the backyard pond for a massive air and naval battle. It was a glorious battle but alas the carrier was doomed to Davy Jones Locker (thanks in part to some lawnmower gas and firecrackers swiped from my older brother).

Well it looks like they both use a combination of solvents. I'll play around with my eggs tonight and see what works for me.

Hot glue works pretty well. A thin layer around the rim, put it together, then a bit more followed by a quick wrap with tape.

Do you guys spike the eggs with a couple layers of filament tape?

My first ever working shells were Easter eggs, Danny C. wrote about film cans so I tried the Easter eggs in leau of the cans . The stars dumped out. I was very disappointed so I found his email and asked him how to do it the right way. He sent me to Passfire to get the 4" plastic ball shell article so I could read about flash bags.

That did it! One .22 LR shell casing of flash in a tiny plastic bag placed in the center with a single strand of piped black match for the fuse, fill the rest of the shell with Dannys mouse turds and I had pretty neat shells.

No spiking, no tape, I simply dissolved a bunch (and I do mean a bunch) of white Styrofoam into a liter of acetone to break it down, then poured off the acetone, added 1/4 cup of MEK to the goop in the bottom of the container and shook till it was mixed. That makes polystyrene glue and works really well on ball shells and Easter eggs (at least the ones I have).

What would be the safest flash (or alternative)? Benzolift? I'm not ready to mess with anything that goes bang unconfined.

You may want to try mixing granular BP and slow flash in a central burst bag, or among the stars. Slow flash shouldn't self confine in small amounts. That's not to say it doesn't have it's dangers though.

Thanks Mumbles,

The base ten counting system is so convenient: I’d hate to be forced into base 8 or 9 for lack of digits.

I gotta say, I love the easter egg shells. My local Hobby Lobby had them out like three months ago so I went and snatched up a few bags at I think 77 cents a bag... or something like that.

I just gave them a wrap or two with some fiber glass reinforced packing tape. Otherwise loaded like any conventional shell with a tiny sneeze of good flash for a booster. These can be a very impressive piece. I like them for the purpose of easy assembly, and of course for a certain flair of instant gratification from the ease of assembly. Not to mention a great teaching tool.

My very first shells were actually carefully engineered from quarter rolls. Long explanation as to how, and if anybody wants to know I'll tell you what my mentor told me: "Dont waste your time with McGyver crap like that. Just use easter eggs." haha.

All the ones on sale for half price at Walmart today were weird football- or animal-shaped ones, rather than nice simple smooth eggs. I had been hoping to stock up, but it would be a task and a half to paste these or to get them round enough to fit into the mortar without leakage.

Girlfriend assures me she'll find me some at 75% or more off before the week is out :)

Just shot off 4 of these last Friday! IRRC I didnt glue them shut at all, instead wrapped them with a in a waird pattern with 220lbs fillament tape and pasted a few layers with gummed tape, 7/3 flash boosted, and they all broke perfectly!!!

I shot my first one the other night on top of a rocket that didnt cato :lol: the fourth is starting to look up.

Steve