APC Forum

Easter Egg Shells

Blackthumb

With Easter approaching I will again visit the Dollar Store and grab a batch of plastic eggs. Have used them in the past but found no one to share results with...until now!

Will keep you all informed...use them in mortars as well as headers....

I just followed the directions that Dan C wrote of some time ago, use mouse turd stars (1/8") and break them with flash. (I use tin man aluminum for this flash since it is a a lot slower then the good dark aluminum.) Then I use strapping tape to hold it together. Lift cups are 1/2 oz ketchup cups from Hardees. 10 grams of 2FA works well for lift.

yup, $1 per doz

Sweet, used up all last years in November and December. Wonder how many I should buy?

Sweet, used up all last years in November and December. Wonder how many I should buy?

How about a tutorial :D

Steve

I went to Hobby Lobby a couple years ago, a few days after easter and got them for 10 cents a bag, I think 12 2"ers per bag or 8 2.5"ers per bag. I bought a couple dollars worth and have yet to run out. They're also a fun heading on 4 oz motors. I just used 1/4" stars and bulk filled them with BP burst and a little slow flash then spiked them with strapping tape, and pasted in the 2.5"

I went to Hobby Lobby a couple years ago, a few days after easter and got them for 10 cents a bag, I think 12 2"ers per bag or 8 2.5"ers per bag. I bought a couple dollars worth and have yet to run out. They're also a fun heading on 4 oz motors. I just used 1/4" stars and bulk filled them with BP burst and a little slow flash then spiked them with strapping tape, and pasted in the 2.5"

I agree, they are my test shells too but I use .5g of good flash to break them.

Hit the closest Walmart today, bags of them when you walk in the door. $0.0707/unit, you just can't beat that. Didn't pick up enough, wife sent a kid with me, lol.

Pretty bad when your first trip to town in 2 months is to get supplies for a rocket launcher rack, and easter eggs to blast.

The lady at the check says "Boy, going to be some happy kids after that easter egg hunt". Me "Yeah something like that". My daughter rolled her eyes and smiled.

Edited by hillbillyreefer

How about a tutorial :D

Steve

My kids found one in the toy box yesterday, so away it went last night. I started by sealing all but one of the holes in the ends with hot glue. Then I put a bunch of stars (1/4 x 1/4) in, added about 6g BP, hot glued it shut. Spiked it with a couple layers of fiberglass reinforced tape, fused it and launched it on a rocket. It burst on the ground in a pretty impressive way. No fault of the shells that it was on the ground.

Hit the closest Walmart today, bags of them when you walk in the door. $0.0707/unit, you just can't beat that.

Turned out I did beat that! I took your advice and went to Walmart. Walked round and round the damn store for half an hour until I spotted them, right where you said in front of the door - a different door from the one I went in. They were $1.95 for a bag of 42, which works out to $0.05 each with tax. My wife, god bless her, said You should buy ten bags, in case you can't get any more after Easter. I said, Where will I put them? She said, As long as you can still get in the garage, you've got room.

That is a woman to cherish.

Turned out I did beat that! I took your advice and went to Walmart. Walked round and round the damn store for half an hour until I spotted them, right where you said in front of the door - a different door from the one I went in. They were $1.95 for a bag of 42, which works out to $0.05 each with tax. My wife, god bless her, said You should buy ten bags, in case you can't get any more after Easter. I said, Where will I put them? She said, As long as you can still get in the garage, you've got room.

That is a woman to cherish.

You Americans get all the deals. Oh well, still cheap. In my rocket case thread there is video of one as a header. It was only about 1/3 full, but it worked well. As time progresses I'll sneak more into the house, lol.

Easter egg, double cardboard disc, a few zinc stars, some BP and an 18" cardboard mortar.....WOW! So easy!

Easter egg, double cardboard disc, a few zinc stars, some BP and an 18" cardboard mortar.....WOW! So easy!

We recently found that Hobby Lobby has them in sacks for .77 per sack. On the day I happened to be there, they were having a 50% off sale on anything Easter related.... so naturally I picked up a couple of bags.

Honestly can't remember how many were in the bag, maybe half a dozen or so.... these were not the smaller ones. I'll play with them some day I guess but for now I'm using 3 and 4" paper hemis for the first time on top of my rockets and enjoying them very much.

Check Hobby Lobby if you have one near by.

DanB

We recently found that Hobby Lobby has them in sacks for .77 per sack. On the day I happened to be there, they were having a 50% off sale on anything Easter related.... so naturally I picked up a couple of bags.

Honestly can't remember how many were in the bag, maybe half a dozen or so.... these were not the smaller ones. I'll play with them some day I guess but for now I'm using 3 and 4" paper hemis for the first time on top of my rockets and enjoying them very much.

Check Hobby Lobby if you have one near by.

DanB

Thanks for the info.....not one near me but looks like Wal MArt wil have thousands left after Easter.

Fill me in on your rocket that launches your hemis....

• 2 weeks later...

A box of 220 was ten bucks at Wally World. that should keep me busy for awhile.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/killforfood/Pyro/IMG_1585.jpg

One cool use I have found for them is I have used the pointier half as a rocket nosecone. The cool thing is because it's hollow it lends itself well to carrying a payload.

How big of a rocket would it take to lift one full of stars?