Top Posters In This Topic

• cplmac

• dagabu

• oldguy

• dan999ification

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Col,

Just a quick question on those jars. There is an o-ring in the lid to keep black powder from reaching the threads. Check. But how about when you dump out the black powder after a run?

Yep, KISS works on ball mills also...

I have been trying to make my ball mill mill with two jars at the same time, but unfortunately the friction was not enough to get a second jar to roll against the idler wheels, so I thought about making wooden pulleys and a belt between (The red in the picture) to get the idler wheels to work also. What I didn't think of was that the idle wheels were of smaller diameter and therefore the pulleys needed to be different sizes.

Then I had a cup of coffee and moved the other set of idle wheels (seen on top of the picture) so the jar sitting on them is in contact with the drive wheels...

Ball mill is seen from the top in picture.

post-10776-0-36514700-1326552802_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
I'm having trouble finding those curtec drums in my country, so I decided to build my own ballmill jar. I have 25cm ID pipe and I have already cut end plug and cap from wood. End plug is secured with screws, but I don't know how can I secure the cap. Do you think I could use aluminium rod that would go trough the center of end plug and cap, to secure cap with washer and nut?

I'm having trouble finding those curtec drums in my country, so I decided to build my own ballmill jar. I have 25cm ID pipe and I have already cut end plug and cap from wood. End plug is secured with screws, but I don't know how can I secure the cap. Do you think I could use aluminium rod that would go trough the center of end plug and cap, to secure cap with washer and nut?

ca you find a bung for that size pipe? very easy to use, not sure exactly what they are called though. used for pressure testing and closing pipe while laying.

maintainance bung, cleanout bung, not the cheapest solution but must be the easiest for pipe based jars.

dan.

edit for large diameter jars you may need a pneumatic one to hold back the weight of the media, they have a schrader valve for filling and venting.

Edited by dan999ification

Hey Col,

Just a quick question on those jars. There is an o-ring in the lid to keep black powder from reaching the threads. Check. But how about when you dump out the black powder after a run?

if you are really worried wash it before the next use.

dan.

The threads on the jars are pretty huge,.you`d need to plaster bp into the threads with a trowel before you`d get any measurable friction :)

You could screw or bolt a flange fitting to the wood (koi pond bottom drain / tank connector seems ideal) and use a large rubber end cap/ hose clamp on that.

something like this one: http://www.absolute-...om/prod288.html

Edited by Col