APC Forum

Ascending comets (kyoku do)

BJV

Hi All,

I am looking for some information on how to tie and

attach six ascending comets to a 6" round shell.

Thanks in advance.

BJV

Hi All,

I am looking for some information on how to tie and

attach six ascending comets to a 6" round shell.

Thanks in advance.

BJV

If you are looking to mount tubes so that you can have horizontal firing of timed comets then you need to extend the lift loop of the shell. Then tie your tubes together so that they sit on top of the shell with the lift loop string through the center of the tubes. Some people tie the tubes tight to the lift loop string below the loop and I've seen some shells that use a vertical tube to help arrange the tubes. I have even tried using a 1 inch square piece of wood and drilled whole throughout it the long way.

Hope this helps you.

Mark

Thank for your input Ralph and marks265.

When I finish this shell I will post a photo.

Thank again,

BJV

Which kind of comets are you interested in? I can think of 3 distinct types of rising comet effects. There is the standard rising tail, where the comets are glued or pasted onto the top of the shell. There are the splitting comets as Marks265 described. Then there is a third type which is related to the first. It's a large comet, but attached to the shell by an extended string instead of being directly attached. I really don't recall where I first heard or saw of this effect described. It tends to be more erratic looking, and might help to orient the shell even.

Which kind of comets are you interested in? I can think of 3 distinct types of rising comet effects. There is the standard rising tail, where the comets are glued or pasted onto the top of the shell. There are the splitting comets as Marks265 described. Then there is a third type which is related to the first. It's a large comet, but attached to the shell by an extended string instead of being directly attached. I really don't recall where I first heard or saw of this effect described. It tends to be more erratic looking, and might help to orient the shell even.

Hi Mumbles,

I have taken a drawing out of Shimizu book, he states to use iron wire to attach the comets. But I have seen

many photos and most seem to use twine to hold them in place. I was just wanting to know which is best.

BJV

http://barry.dcwisp.net/AC.PNG

Then there is a third type which is related to the first. It's a large comet, but attached to the shell by an extended string instead of being directly attached. I really don't recall where I first heard or saw of this effect described. It tends to be more erratic looking, and might help to orient the shell even.

Like this:post-9674-0-17663400-1299526808_thumb.jpg

2 pressed silver streamer comets attached to an 6 inch shell with rope, fused with quickmatch.

Smaller tubes are small crackers.

Cool! Are those globs of BP that are hot glued to the "comets" ?

So simple, so awesome!

Cool! Are those globs of BP that are hot glued to the "comets" ?

They are some left over TT stars for stabilisation during handling, intended to burn away by the lift.

I just cannot believe that I have never seen that before. Really, its fantastic to see it. What a head-slap!

I have taken a drawing out of Shimizu book, he states to use iron wire to attach the comets. But I have seen

many photos and most seem to use twine to hold them in place. I was just wanting to know which is best.

BJV

Iron wire is for fire proof reasons. I coat my twine with white glue. It helps add fireproofing to the twine. The rising effect is ignited from the lift charge in the mortar where a lot of pressure, heat, and fire reside when lighting the shell.

Mark

edit: I hate the thought of iron wire laying in the fall out field.

Edited by marks265

Hi Mumbles,

BJV

oh ignore my advice I thought you meant comets that stay on the shell.

Not quite what I had in mind, but there are clearly more than one way to skin a cat. The one I had in mind was a comet that was just tied to the leader loop with a piece of string tied around the center of the paste wrapped solid comet. There are a number of wraps similar to your picture, and I'd imagine the string would be best applied soaked with paste to both give some adhesion power, and tighten further upon drying.

The picture you showed looks like what I would call Rising thunder, where a number of salutes are connected to a trailing rope. If they are comets, I haven't frequently seen them pressed into a thickwalled tube. Maybe I'm also just not fully getting it.

Ok I got my FAST out now. I thought that he was referring to fig. 15.6 on page 234 of my book. It is described as "Comets, Flower comets" where you put a single star in each end of tube and propellant and fuse in the middle. I guess it would help if the original poster would state better what the intent was. But this is still fun digging back into this anyway because it does cover different effects.

Mark

Not quite what I had in mind, but there are clearly more than one way to skin a cat. The one I had in mind was a comet that was just tied to the leader loop with a piece of string tied around the center of the paste wrapped solid comet. There are a number of wraps similar to your picture, and I'd imagine the string would be best applied soaked with paste to both give some adhesion power, and tighten further upon drying.

The picture you showed looks like what I would call Rising thunder, where a number of salutes are connected to a trailing rope. If they are comets, I haven't frequently seen them pressed into a thickwalled tube. Maybe I'm also just not fully getting it.

The are comets, I pressed them in tubes because I was afraid of weak comets of that size without it, and by looking at some spare tube I decided to go for that .

Its not a common method.

String is soaked in wood glue.

Do you attach the string from the beginning of the pasting, or with the last layers? Have you got some pict's maybe?

BJV

It looks like the ascending comets are pulled downwards with the iron wire through the leader loop and then "wound up" by the iron loop sticking out of the tube, so that make's a fast sturdy fit. Edited by burningRNX

Do you attach the string from the beginning of the pasting, or with the last layers? Have you got some pict's maybe?

This was the only picture I had. I will put some on the website within a couple of days.

Hi All,

Well I finally finished my 6" shell with Ascending comets.

I will have a video in a couple weeks.

BJV

http://barry.dcwisp.net/6Shell.jpg

• 2 months later...

OK, so I am NOT doing this right at all but here is my shot at kyoku do. Be gentle, I am really trying here and this is brand new to me. :blink:

http://www.pyrobin.com/files/100_2342.jpg

I used the cheap Chinese visco since it spews a lot of hot sparks. Each tube is loaded with two comets, each facing out with 2 grams of 7Fa between them. The fuse is pushed in to holes punched in the tube walls.

http://www.pyrobin.com/files/100_2345.jpg

A hand rolled coupler was glued on to the "shell".

http://www.pyrobin.com/files/100_2347_1.jpg

The "shell" is attached to the top of a 3# whistle rocket. I will test the theory with this rocket and will then add a shell on top of the kyoku do if it works. I think that I will likely use time fuse next time but I just wanted to test the materials and comets for now.

-dag