APC Forum

Dextrine bound Dragoneggs

mabuse00

I'm sorry but you've got to be crazy to be crushing this stuff up in a mortar and pestle.

I've never tried to burn the powder itself, so I can't speak to that. However, striking one can very easily set them off. On a basic level dragon eggs are just a specialized form of a thermite type reaction, which can be fairly violent, especially when stoichiometric.

I tried burning some of the crackling powder I made, it crackles in small amounts. If the pile is to large it will just go POOF like flash.

Here is a WORKING crackling composition with Dextrine as the binder!

These are some DE in a small pile of MCRH:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjoWU7u6yzU

compo:

Pb3O4 70

CuO 15

MgAl 63 micron (fine!) 19

GD Al 4

Dextrine 3

Wet like you'd with pulverone, and push through a 10 mesh screen.

I also tried the NO NC Dragon Egg compo made by another member here (red gum binder), but that one turned out like crap.

He also didn't reply too any of my messages, so that probably says it all.

Edited by ExplosiveCoek

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ExplosiveCoek

• Potassiumchlorate

• dagabu

• FirstCause

Is GD aluminum German Dark?

I could think of another phrase GD could stand for, particularly in regard to bright flake. :)

Is GD aluminum German Dark?

I could think of another phrase GD could stand for, particularly in regard to bright flake. :)

Especially when trying to clean it off the work space.... ;)

-dag

I've used several different comps for the deggs, but the one I like best is the non toxic low bismuth .75 . Using that comp it doesn't use much material and the eggs go a long way unless you like playing with them too much. I've been using a high solids spraying NC lacquer thinned down to 10-20%. That might be a little thick, but it seems to contain it a little longer. When you hit it with a torch it catches fire on edge and smolders quickly maybe 1.5 sec. then reports. If primed they pop much sooner and especially when in a small pile you get very energetic multiple reports. I do love playing with these things. Usually I rice them through a 10 screen or a Al window screen which is closer to 30 mesh. It is difficult make a bunch of these at a time with this method and you don't want to crud up metal on your good screens. I make the patty a little thinner than I want the microstars. Ideally, they shoud be round, or as close as possible. The longer "mouse turds" break into several smaller pops and dont do very well. I have rolled these guys before (outside the shop), but Im not sure about all that tumbling and the NC can get the drum pretty messy. Thinking out loud, maybe a small die with machined holes could be used to extrude it then cut it off with a blade in the preferred length. I tried a garlic press, but more comp comes out around the plunger than the bottom. I saw where someone took a multi disc pastry cutter and added more disks and cut the patty with that. They are easy to make, but you have to work fast. I have never tried the dextrine bound comp. I'm kind of surprised that it works. I always felt the NC acted as a fuel as well as a binder. The bigger stars make some cool matrix star cores though. I think I will try the crackling dragon flowers next . Edited by DanielC