APC Forum

NC Lacquer

Fly

Do any of you guys have a good NC lacquer formula.I made some up with some smokless gun powder & acetone & it's real thick like it should

be.But it does not burn like I thought it should.

I have differant kinds of smokless powder, for I load my own ammo.But I just don't want to ruin good comp if this stuff not good.What do I need to

look for?

Fly

You could just thin out the smokeless/ Nc lacquer a bit more. What are you binding with it? Stars or are you using it for priming, because what you have will do the job.

Firefox has solid nitrocellulose for sale for $12.00 a pound dry weight. It makes about 4 gallons at the 10% solution that is mostly recommended. It is a fraction the price of using black powder and is the real deal.

http://www.firefox-fx.com/ChemN-P.htm

That's a really great product for them to carry, I haven't seen anyone else that sells straight NC like that. I wonder what the purity is.

As to your original post Fly, I don't think you'll have any issues binding with your smokeless powder lacquer, even if it doesn't seem to burn quickly.

The stuff from firefox is good stuff. Just keep in mind that it is shipped wet, so it has to be dried out before being dissolved into acetone or your choice of solvent.

You could just thin out the smokeless/ Nc lacquer a bit more. What are you binding with it? Stars or are you using it for priming, because what you have will do the job.

Dragon eggs.They say 10% dry, but how do you know when it is in this thick state.

Fly

The stuff from firefox is good stuff. Just keep in mind that it is shipped wet, so it has to be dried out before being dissolved into acetone or your choice of solvent.

Mine is kept 'wet" with alcohol and dried off in minutes when spread out on kraft with moving air. Like Mum says, good stuff. Its the bench mark fore NC IMHO.

Dragon eggs.They say 10% dry, but how do you know when it is in this thick state.

Fly

26.2 pounds of acetone (4 gallons) to one pound of dry NC gives you a (aprox) 4% slurry. 2 gallons = 8.2 % and 1 gallon yields about 16.4%.

Given the high rate of evaporation especially in the summer, I use the 8% solution as a 1:1 for the 10% solution that is called for.

Mum or someone here that is proficient at math will correct my answers if I am off.

Fly

If I am making a 1000g batch, I use the weight of my solution to determine the 10% dry weight needed.

1000g dry ingredients batch needs 100g of dry NC = 1000g NC solution.

There is no reason to boil acetone, and makes the process much more dangerous.

You're about 3 seconds from getting banned, and reported to Invision as a spammer, if you're who I think you are.

I have used mine when it is the consistency of thin" room temp" pancake syrup. Like the ego stuff. Nc doesnt need to burn quick in this instance, It is part of the fuel that keeps the mix smoldering and bound as well. Crazy how those little dragon eggs work.

There is no reason to boil acetone, and makes the process much more dangerous.

You're about 3 seconds from getting banned, and reported to Invision as a spammer, if you're who I think you are.

Not Anyka. Her friend Ushie. And flagged as a spammer, since she was also warned not to try coming back.

Sorry if I over reacted but the PM I received put me over the top. What I dont get is those that defended her, that makes no sense, I only had to Google some of the chem combinations to figure out that she had no idea what she was doing, now with boiling acetone (SHUTTER), I am just scared by her.

Maybe this person will remove themselves from the gene-pool, and do a favor for the world...... LOL... That was kind of harsh....unsure2.gif

Most idiots who do foolish stuff like this end up dead fairly quick anyways, or worst yet.... succeed in getting more things banned or removed off the shelfs. Thanks to these morons, the careful pyro, takes the rap for it and makes this hobby more expensive.

Edited by pyrojig

In all probability "this person" has never actually done any of the things (s)he writes about, otherwise (s)he would be typing with wrist stumps, or more likely be blind and crippled and dictating to someone else. There's nothing wrong with being inexperienced, but it's wicked to try and conceal it by posing as knowledgeable and posting dangerously misleading advice. It's the innocents who read it that end up removing themselves from the gene pool.

There is no doubt she didn't actually made the stuff she said she did. There was one thing at the very beginning I tried to recreate, I think it was a star. It would not light, it just smoldered. Edited by dagabu

... I don't want to glorify this person/people, but that is disturbing. If I have problems with madman, I'm glad I missed Anyka whoever. ("She"? Uh huh.)

I'm new. I know I'm going to make mistakes, but if I'm getting that kind of feedback from people I respect, OK. There's something I like about the legitimate (intelligent, moderated) pyro communities. You either know what you're talking about or you're willing to learn. I don't quite trust anyone who appears really overconfident, troll or otherwise.

I had a question about NC lacquer (using, not making). I can't remember what it was. Hmm, I'll come back later.

... I don't want to glorify this person/people, but that is disturbing. If I have problems with madman, I'm glad I missed Anyka whoever. ("She"? Uh huh.)

I'm new. I know I'm going to make mistakes, but if I'm getting that kind of feedback from people I respect, OK. There's something I like about the legitimate (intelligent, moderated) pyro communities. You either know what you're talking about or you're willing to learn. I don't quite trust anyone who appears really overconfident, troll or otherwise.

I had a question about NC lacquer (using, not making). I can't remember what it was. Hmm, I'll come back later.

Well said. I'm here for safety, also. Being a dummy, I'd like to run my ideas past the collective first before harming myself or others.