APC Forum

Any body else get e-mails from HarryGilliam@skylighter.com

handymanherb

Just got a e-mail and they were talking about this great deal on a ball mill for $80.00

https://www.skylighter.com/offers/launch/BallMill/checkout.asp

I thought I've seen that some where and checked Harbor Freight and they had it for 50.00

https://www.skylighter.com/offers/launch/BallMill/checkout.asp

I'm losing faith there trying to get us the best price on anything!!!

I'm on Harry's list. Sometimes his deals are great, sometimes, umm... not so much.

Kevin

i complained last year about the turbo pyro being sold out and i also get very regular emails from him and im in the uk

but i supose no one can give the best prices all the time

I used to. "Sorry, we will not sell you what you ordered. Even at out exhorbitant prices. That is all"

Just sayin'.

Just got a e-mail and they were talking about this great deal on a ball mill for $80.00

https://www.skylight...ll/checkout.asp

I thought I've seen that some where and checked Harbor Freight and they had it for 50.00

https://www.skylight...ll/checkout.asp

I'm losing faith there trying to get us the best price on anything!!!

Skylighter certainly has its place for serious pyros, but since when did they ever offer anything near the best price on anything? Some of their stuff is decently price but a very small amount of items, imo.

I got that ball mill email. It amazes me how many sites sell that piece of shit and what they charge for it. Youd think they would try to offer at least one product in the ball mill sectilon that is of good quality.

I shop at Skylighter sometimes, even when I can get things cheaper elsewhere. I try to spread my business (such as it is) around as many dealers as possible, coz dog knows we'd be stuck if there was only one. I regard Harry's prices as a small tax to pay for the extremely valuable service he provides drawing newcomers into the art. And while you may criticize the price of that ball mill, it's not much higher than other places, and less than some.

The milling media is rather pricey though. $39.87 from Skylighter, it can be had for $23.18 from Graf & Sons (2 boxes of 100). He's correct that 200 balls is the right load for those rubber barrels.

The milling media is rather pricey though. $39.87 from Skylighter, it can be had for $23.18 from Graf & Sons (2 boxes of 100). He's correct that 200 balls is the right load for those rubber barrels.

Peret, the lead balls we're selling are custom made for us as an alloy of three metals + lead. They are absolutely the hardest lead alloy we have been able to find and oughta last you a lifetime. They won't wear out, and they won't lead-coat your nitrate when you grind it. Whatever source you use for grinding media, you should take into account the total delivered cost. Our's cost $6 to ship anywhere in the US for up to 15#.

I've seen other people say this mill is crap. And they may be right--IF they don't know how to make the modifications and operate it correctly. When you get our mill, you also get an excellent set of instructions from Ned Gorski showing you how to modify the mill so that you get top quality BP in 2-4 hours, vs. many hours more. It's not a measly little tip sheet--it's 27 pages long, many photos, and everything shown in video. He also shows you how to use it in a way that you won't burn out the motor. You can definitely overload these things.

Now, I don't how many of you know Ned Gorski or have seen his fireworks. Ned is a constant trophy winner at PGI and FPAG fireworks competitions. And of course, he was a PGI Grand Master a couple of years back.

Ned likes these crappy little mills--modified--so much, that he has 3 of them. Guess he hasn't figgered out that they're junk yet.

Finally, when you get your mill from us, it comes with a 365-day money back guarantee, telephone and email support, and any other help when you have problem getting your BP to turn out right. The manufacturer sells the mill with a 90-day limited warranty.

Do we provide all this for free? Wish we could. But we don't. So, I added $27 to our cost for these mills to cover all the stuff above. And a guarantee that you will be able to make perfect black powder the first time, every time--or your money back.

The point about our high prices has been made many times. I'll tell you a story.

Tom Philips, a printing salesman, came by one day and gave me a quote for a brochure. It was higher than I expected. I don't like to price-squeeze my vendors, but I asked Tom if there was any way to change the job so that we could cut the cost.

He took out his pad and drew a triangle, as I watched. At the corners of the triangle, he wrote: "Service," "Quality," and "Price."

"Harry, I can give you any two of these, but not all three," he said.

As I noodled on the implications of this, he continued. "I can give you high quality and low price, but no service. Or I can give you low price, and low quality." Which two do you want?

He was dead right. It is virtually impossible for a small company, for most companies, to provide high quality, great service, and low price. Think about it.

So, because of who I am, when I started Skylighter, I made up my mind to provide the highest possible quality and the best possible service.

Now that will absolutely eliminate anyone who wants low price above all. I knew it at the time, and I am perfectly comfortable with that today. It's who I am. I can't be in business any other way.

If you don't like our price, and don't need our quality or service, by dog you absolutely should get the cheaper alternative. I'd do the same.

Of course, just about every other week, we offer discounts of up to 50% off everything we sell, which must not be noticed by some.

I figured out why that is from a Frenchman, my barfly friend, Pierre.

Pierre and I were on our 12th beers one night next door at Magnolias, and he started to complain that he was not as famous an artist as he wanted to be.

"Ju know" he said, "All my life I paint zee beautiful pictaire. Beautiful landscape, gorgeous womans, just incredible pictaires.

"And nevaire do zey call me 'Pierre, zee Artiste.'

"But you know, last night I suck just one leetle deek, and already TODAY, zey call me 'Pierre, zee cocksuckaire'"

C'est la vie!

Harry Gilliam

Chief Cook & Bottlewasher

www.Skylighter.com

Edited by hegilliam

Speakling of high-priced chemicals, we just snagged some fantastic glitter aluminum CH0116. Ned Gorski told me that he's replaced his "standard" for glitter aluminum with this stuff. It'll set you back $6.73 a pound. http://www.skylighte...ils.asp?id=2166

And I just got some medium-coarse flitter aluminum which we'll be selling at a similar or lower price--about what it costs from the manufacturer. Watch for it. This is a one-shot deal. Meaning that when we run out of it, we won't be able to get it back in stock at anything close to that price. (It came from a closed-down US sparkler factory.)

-CC&BW

PS: If you AREN'T getting my huckster emails, then you're missing out on a lotta good schtuff.

Edited by hegilliam

I used to. "Sorry, we will not sell you what you ordered. Even at out exhorbitant prices. That is all"

Just sayin'.

Not worded exactly like that. We have a buncha filters on the web site to stop the sales of M80 and banger supplies. Keeps us in business, and Feds outa our (and your) hair. If your order gets refused, and you're NOT intending to make boomers, just let us know. We make exceptions.

Harry, you kill me!!!

Buddy, you gotta know that you are the gate-way drug for pyros. I can't think of a single guy that has not started out with you and has regretted it. I bought the first round of Turbo-Pyro, made everything with my kids, we then came as a family to PGI this last year.

You are completely to blame!! :lol:

Harry, you kill me!!!

Buddy, you gotta know that you are the gate-way drug for pyros. I can't think of a single guy that has not started out with you and has regretted it. I bought the first round of Turbo-Pyro, made everything with my kids, we then came as a family to PGI this last year.

You are completely to blame!! laugh2.gif

I accept no responsibility for what happens to you addicts!

As you WELL know, you were infected long before you found Skylighter.

Nosireebob. I am merely trying to make sure that you do not run out of drugs and suffer, and are able to find some comfort as you learn to live with your terminal affliction, and can get into a good support group like PGI.

"Hi, my name is Irv Snerd, and I am addicted to fireworks."

Chorus: "Hi, Irv!"

Well just read the last few posts and that will tell you why Harry and skylighter are successful. Very well explained and knowledgeable person. Sometimes knowledge and good customer service go a long way.

Harry, I understand that the mods would make the mill work great, but why not offer another more durable mill which handles more BP capacity? Not cost effective for skylighter?

Also, Harry, whats the deal with being endangered to go out of business with selling the boomer chems? Some of the other bigger pyro suppliers will sell them without batting an eye and they seem to also be doing well. Perhaps skyligthter is a bigger target on the radar for feds?

I don't say this mill is crap. I've got one, and it does an excellent job in 3 hours for the 4 ounce batches I usually make. The only thing I'd criticize it for is the extreme difficulty of adjusting the belt tension and getting it to stay adjusted.

whats the deal with being endangered to go out of business with selling the boomer chems?

Looky here! This is what got me back into pyro after a longish break. I used to live in Albuquerque and knew Bob Lazar slightly. So when this happened I went and bought everything pyro he had, including a ball mill as it happens, just because. He's out of the pyro business now. Look at Fire Fox - they can't even sell you friggin' tubes without you have a license. (Although, it has to be said, that might have something to do with when I would open my gmail I'd often find a google ad by them for dark aluminum.) So Skylighter's caution is alright with me.

Edited by Peret

Not worded exactly like that. We have a buncha filters on the web site to stop the sales of M80 and banger supplies. Keeps us in business, and Feds outa our (and your) hair. If your order gets refused, and you're NOT intending to make boomers, just let us know. We make exceptions.

OK..in all fairness, you guys did eventually lighten up on me. But after a few tries, I found another source for oxys and that solved that problem. You guys DO have about everything, and I purchased a fair amount of some of the harder to find stuff, and was always happy with the quality.

Unfortunately, the ATF got into my hair thru another route- and I am now just a dreamer again. :(

Edited by Richtee

I doubt that Harry will chime in with anything other then corrections to the scuttlebutt I have been told, the PGI board minutes and PGI meetings at convention but it appears that Skylighter has done everything it can to appease the ATF with document requests and so forth and has never been the subject of an official criminal investigation (that's where you can correct me if I am wrong Harry).

Skylighters restrictions thus far have been 100% voluntary on their part and have remained open because of it, they also have had pretty massive bills from legal counsel for making sure they are 100% in compliance with BATFE and CSPC.

Firefox Enterprises however was not so fortunate and was taken to court. They lost their case and made severe restrictions on sales because of it. They also paid huge sums of money defending themselves in the process.

Taking the legal wranglings to heart, Skylighter changed their methods and restrictions voluntarily and continue to be in business because of some quick decision making and a very shrewd owner. The prices appear to be exorbitant at times but considering the huge liability that is assumed in selling chemicals and such purposefully made for the sole intent to explode and/or pass fire to an object that in turn burns emitting light in a variety of colors for viewing pleasure is very expensive in itself.

Harry, comments are appreciated.

i totally understand the concern to keep your business looking legit. I was just saying, there is one company who i will not mention that looks to be doing very well.. that will sell you oxidizers and fuels (not together of course) to make boomers. Of course, these companies all have the disclaimers in place but there are absolutely no restrictions on you buying these things. I guess its like someone said, if you have the right paperwork and you run your business very carefully (whatever that means) then you can get by legally.

Also, Id like to announce that i picked up a wonderful craftool rock tumbler yesterday for 60 bucks from a guy on craigslist. 1/4 hp 1725 rpm GE motor. replacing the belt, going to swap out the 9 inch large pulley for a 6 or 7 inch and grease everything up as the idle bar seems very stiff.

i totally understand the concern to keep your business looking legit. I was just saying, there is one company who i will not mention that looks to be doing very well.. that will sell you oxidizers and fuels (not together of course) to make boomers. Of course, these companies all have the disclaimers in place but there are absolutely no restrictions on you buying these things. I guess its like someone said, if you have the right paperwork and you run your business very carefully (whatever that means) then you can get by legally.

Also, Id like to announce that i picked up a wonderful craftool rock tumbler yesterday for 60 bucks from a guy on craigslist. 1/4 hp 1725 rpm GE motor. replacing the belt, going to swap out the 9 inch large pulley for a 6 or 7 inch and grease everything up as the idle bar seems very stiff.

Probably the same Company that sent 5lb of superfine Mg to me by mistake, and it was all in one bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok first, yes I try to find the best deals out there, even if I have to spend more money,even if that means I have to wait a little longer to get what I want, but will last and not work me to death.

Second, I read others say it wasn't the best for even a starter kit, and it was taking then a long time.

If you got a great way new way of using it, seems like you make more money selling the ideal and materials and save people shipping cost on the mill as harbor freight has a store just about every where.

OK..in all fairness, you guys did eventually lighten up on me. But after a few tries, I found another source for oxys and that solved that problem. You guys DO have about everything, and I purchased a fair amount of some of the harder to find stuff, and was always happy with the quality.

Unfortunately, the ATF got into my hair thru another route- and I am now just a dreamer again. 2sad.gif

...and apparently a sausage maker! What's in your avatar pic?

Harry

I doubt that Harry will chime in with anything other then corrections to the scuttlebutt I have been told, the PGI board minutes and PGI meetings at convention but it appears that Skylighter has done everything it can to appease the ATF with document requests and so forth and has never been the subject of an official criminal investigation (that's where you can correct me if I am wrong Harry).

Skylighters restrictions thus far have been 100% voluntary on their part and have remained open because of it, they also have had pretty massive bills from legal counsel for making sure they are 100% in compliance with BATFE and CSPC.

Firefox Enterprises however was not so fortunate and was taken to court. They lost their case and made severe restrictions on sales because of it. They also paid huge sums of money defending themselves in the process.

Taking the legal wranglings to heart, Skylighter changed their methods and restrictions voluntarily and continue to be in business because of some quick decision making and a very shrewd owner. The prices appear to be exorbitant at times but considering the huge liability that is assumed in selling chemicals and such purposefully made for the sole intent to explode and/or pass fire to an object that in turn burns emitting light in a variety of colors for viewing pleasure is very expensive in itself.

Harry, comments are appreciated.

Coupla things:

ATF has never been a problem for us. In fact, me and John Steinberg had a contract for a couple of years to teach a fireworks-related course to their agents at their training facility at Fort AP Hill in Virginia.

CPSC is the problem. They whacked the following companies before they got around to Skylighter:

Pyrotek (out of business)

Iowa Pyro (out of business)

United Nuclear (product sales restrictions imposed)

Firefox (their 3rd time; extremely severe restrictions imposed--nearly catastrophicallly cutting their revenues)

They did, in fact investigate us, beginning in 2007. The case was turned over the Dept. of Justice 2 years ago. No charges have been filed so far. No lawsuit has been brought against to date. The future of the case is unknown.

I think the prices are exhorbitant, too.

At the point in 2008 when it became clear we would have to hire hi-powered Washington lawyers to fight the case, we increased our prices 25% across the board to cover the 6-figure a year legal fees. As our legal fees have declined, we have been steadily reducing product prices every month, and doing more discount sales (like the one running thru monday nite).

I can tell you that back when I was running the company out a rent-free barn in Colorado, vs. now, having had to buy land, hire 7 employees, pay ungodly insurance and taxes, that our costs have risen. It's a lot easier to sell cheap when you're doing this part time, have another income, operate outa your house, etc.

Interestingly, I do not know of any pyro supplies companies who have had CPSC actions taken against them since they brought their action against Skylighter. This is surprising in that some of the new suppliers who have sprung up are breaking CPSC rules waaay more than the "old" companies were that CPSC took action against. According to the grapevine it wouldn't surprise me to see another Federal bust or two in 2011.

I think the thing that most people, including the vendors, do not understand is that CPSC has stated that we, the seller,

1. need to determine the intent of the buyer -- what he wants to do with his perc., for instance -- before we sell it to him.

2. that any products sold to a buyer who "intends to make illegal exploding devices" who does not have an ATF license, is a Federal Violation, punishable by criminal and/or civil penalties. That means if a guy buys a baga end plugs and we have any reason to believe he wants to use 'em for boomers, we have to refuse the order.

Holler "foul" all you want, those are the rules being enforced by CPSC and which have been tested in court more than once, successfully.

Again, most of the orders we stop are done right in the shopping cart--you can't check out with that order. How many do we stop? This will shock you: $20-$50,000 a month. Think about it--a Beemer or a nice boat a month.

All orders coming through are then manually checked by staff here, before being approved for shipment. FYI, there is no "penalty" or flag for getting an order stopped at the website. But an order refused here by a human is subject to a 3-strike rule. Three tries and that person cannot order anything from Skylighter, ever again. (We do give plenty of warning, so you have to be pretty persistent to have this happen to you.)

I hope that at least those folks who read this understand that there is nothing personal about this. It simply is what it is. Dem's da rules we have to live by.

Yep. And if he/they continue to sell with no restrictions, I will bet anyone on this list $100 they'll be busted within 3 years.

NO company has been able to sell as openly and indiscriminately as the one you mention for very long.

I was an active participant in helping Firefox defend itself. We raised an donated about $70,000 from Skylighter customers to Firefox's legal fund. We also contracted with Ken & Bonnie Kosanke to test all the aluminums then being sold by Firefox and Skylighter to determine which were even capable of being used in flash, and what the particle shape, size, coating, etc. was that "defined" flash-grade aluminum. Surprisingly most of them could not be made to go bang.

Likewise, I also have all the pertinent Firefox court documents (public info), including a 4-inch thick box of copies of their violative invoices. And while Firefox shipped lot of orders that Firefox consisting of (perc, blackhead, tubes, plugs and fuse--ONLY) I think the number of shipments which will be used against the company you're referring to will absolutely dwarf the Firefox orders. I predict jail on this one vs. fines and injunctions due to the number of such orders, and huge quantities.

Thanks Harry, I know that I and others have voted time and again to allow the PGI to help with legal fees and I have done your round up option as well.

Hang in there, if all chems go underground, there will be the abrupt end to anything creative in pyro from there forward.

The CPSC has been a bit quieter lately. The most active period was under chairman Stratten, who stepped down in 2006 and was replaced by Nancy Nord. Stratten and Nord are both lawyers and political hacks. After the 2008 election Obama increased the commissioners from three to five and appointed an actual scientist to the chair, and ever since then the CPSC has been doing it's proper job - dealing with unsafe products (including those made or imported by political contributors, which is a change) and not harassing the public. A couple of new pyro suppliers have arisen during this current lull and seem to be taking advantage, but I'm sure an eye is still being kept, even if no action is taken.

...and apparently a sausage maker! What's in your avatar pic?

Harry

Some old style Hungarian Kolbasz. Heavy garlic/Hunky paprika, cured (I still get SOME nitrates :whistle: ) and smoked. Typically eaten cold, with good rye.

• Like 1