APC Forum

What are you doing for the 4th? (2010)

Skycastlefish

Sorry cookie, you are in a bind. Either destroy them or dismantle them. I dont know what your laws are there but perhaps a proper magazine would be a good answer.

I feel you bud!

heres one of my salutes that I asked a million questions about. Unfortunately, 3 out of 8 of them shot out and then just dropped into the lake, no report. 2 of the damn things exploded about an inch out of the mortar and scared the living hell out of us. The boom on the video didnt do them justice, they were absolutely thunderous and you felt it in your chest. These were 150 grams packed into a cylinder with thick walls:

By the looks of it, you are way metal rich. I see the Ti burning for a good second after the break, that is way too long. Everyone seems to think that flash is so extremely sensitive that simple time fuse will light it off 100%. this is simply not true. A good prime with metal (Al or Ti, Si or flash with NCL) will do wonders for ignition.

Rule of thumb, if two in a row dont light, dont load the rest. A dud (smoldering) can easily kill you if you pick it up and get the ember going.

Alot of bad luck this year, I don't know why, where do you live? I live in Maple Ontario, close to Toronto. My wifes nephew died July 1st. His car got hit by a drunk driver. We usually do the shoot at her mothers cottage over the lake but it was cancelled due to his death. Did you hear what happened to Scarbelly? Shit!!! I can't afford a lawyer right now if I get caught, I can barely pay my bills.

I live in CA, about 40 minutes away from Scarbelly's, we meet up every once in a while and swap stuff, did a shoot on the beach once, and yeah its a real shame of whats been happening, lets just hope its all for the better. 2closedeyes.gif

I live in CA, about 40 minutes away from Scarbelly's, we meet up every once in a while and swap stuff, did a shoot on the beach once, and yeah its a real shame of whats been happening, lets just hope its all for the better. 2closedeyes.gif

Their's always have to be one bad apple in the bunch to spoil it for everyone else.2sad.gif

My fourth was great, all my shells performed well. I got the delay and lift amounts perfect.

Lots of fountains this year, skip to 4:18 if fountains don't intrest you, they look rather cruddy on camera.

By the looks of it, you are way metal rich. I see the Ti burning for a good second after the break, that is way too long. Everyone seems to think that flash is so extremely sensitive that simple time fuse will light it off 100%. this is simply not true. A good prime with metal (Al or Ti, Si or flash with NCL) will do wonders for ignition.

Rule of thumb, if two in a row dont light, dont load the rest. A dud (smoldering) can easily kill you if you pick it up and get the ember going.

thanks for the info, yea that was a lot of burn time on the Ti. Thing was still loud as a mother though!

By the way, it wasnt that it was a dud from the tube, it actually lifted nicely but i guess the time fuse didnt light (there were 2 time fuses). I actually primed those bastards with si prime too!

I was extremely pleased with some of my other shells. They were 4 and 5 inch. 80% of them broke way past apogee so i need to work on that. However, I loved the huge breaks that I got from most of them. A few of them I was absolutely screaming in joy over.. particularly the red white and blue one that had long streaming white stars coming down to the water. It really was incredible, for me at least. the crowd went nuts too! They were telling me that that shell was better than most of the towns fireworks that we just saw.

Please take a look at my shells everyone, i want your feedback. They are in the link above on my post about the salute.

Also, thanks to those of you who helped me be both safe and helpful with these things.

nope, they were launched over a lake