APC Forum

What are you doing for the 4th? (2010)

Skycastlefish

What kind of projects are you guys working on for the 4th? I'm keeping it simple. A few fountains, cremoras, and maybe a wheel.

I have ten 2" round shells, some 2" canister shells, a few star mines, and a couple of fountains. I've been interested in pyro for a while, but this is my first time really preparing for the fourth to any great extent, so I'm pretty excited!

Mmmhhhmm, this is the thread I was waiting for. =]

Lets see, two silver rockets, four easter egg shells, two three inch balls(one TT+Al, one with two rings of TT=Al and four kaleidoscope style pistils) , one two break 2.5" canister{zinc & glitter}, and a blue steel fountain or two

and two three inch triple break shells, first one being:

Break-1 TT to Red and Blue, Break-2 Silver Farfalles with red Flying Fish, Break-3 two timed report rings

The second:

Break-1 Zinc and Glitter, Break-2 Two rings of 7 Red & 7 blue mini-shells, Break-3 12 Brocade crossettes with silver ring.

Then there is a small finale made of 11 2" brocade can shells, 5 3" brocade mines and a salute.

blush.gif

Then there is a small finale made of 11 2" brocade can shells, 5 3" brocade mines and a salute.

blush.gif

Nice. Fire them all at once - you know you want to :rolleyes:

Stay green folks!

Some 4 oz end burners, stingers, few 1 lb core burners, and a couple of volleys from assorted cannons fired across the bow of Greg the Accountants lawn. Yarrrrrrr

My display was cancelled do to a death on my wife's side of the family. Was looking forward to firing my shells. What do I do with these fireworks now? Legally I can shoot only twice a year, May 24 and July 1st. This is what's sitting in my garage now.

16 3" round aerial shells

8 6" round aerial shells

8 2" starmine's

4 purple wheel driver

4 ferro titanium wheel driver

2 glitter fountain's

What do I do with these fireworks now? Legally I can shoot only twice a year, May 24 and July 1st.

That doesn't seem to have inhibited you so far this year! :lol: "Exhibit A, y'r honor - YouTube! The prosecution rests." :lol:

Shoot them off one at a time over the lake, and post the vids for us to enjoy.

Bugger Peret...I'm trying to figure out what your avatar picture is, but the closest I can get is that it's hydroxylamine. And even that doesn't have the right formula2angry.gif I must be forgetting something here. I know it's at least some sort of amine.

Cookieman, that sucks. I also agree with Peret.

I just have 6 3in ball shells. I think that I'll make a fountain or two, or maybe a wheel. I think I'll go out tomorrow, and buy up boxes of those crackling balls to salvage those dragon eggs.

That doesn't seem to have inhibited you so far this year! laugh2.gif "Exhibit A, y'r honor - YouTube! The prosecution rests." laugh2.gif

Shoot them off one at a time over the lake, and post the vids for us to enjoy.

I'm kinda scared right now because of the post I read on Scarbelly, I've had my run in with the cops before, and I'm afraid they'll come and seize all my shells and chems. It really makes me upset because they can't distinguish between fireworks and bombs.

I got a double header rocket (both Lancaster gold, slightly modified) and the TT to blinding white/silver comet. Still working on that large shell, but it will be filled with go-getters, blue, gold, red, yellow, white, green, and diffrent effect stars. Im also working on a few small morters(1/2in ID, inserts are just small enough to fit in) a special slow comp that burns at an incredably slow speed, throwing off(atleast in tests!) sako-hanabi like sparks, leading to a hot flash and DE report(not realy a report, more of light produced then sound, thats were the DE's come in) also working on a few dozen tube sparklers, non will be done for the 4th(too busy lately) but may get around to launching a skylantern tomorrow. also got a few waterfalls set up and ready, FeTi, Blue microstars, MgAl, multi-effect, Charcoal, lampblack, and a super sized ground bloomer(8+oz of fuel in it) Gotta go grind 20lbs Hardwood charcoal with a meat grinder. if i get one lb done a night, for the next 20 some-odd nights i'll be happy!

Dopamine.

Is there a doctor in the house? Isn't Dopamine a neurotransmitter for the brain? or a forerunner of adrenaline?

Is there a doctor in the house? Isn't Dopamine a neurotransmitter for the brain? or a forerunner of adrenaline?

dopamine is the chemical your brain makes when your happy like when you eat or have sex when you take drugs (like cocaine) many of them cause your brain to make huge amounts of it (apparently in the order a thousand times) these huge amounts result in the receptors for dopamine to be shut-down which actually makes a users life literally less pleasurable than someone who has never used as the reward the usually get for doing "good things" is no longer reaching an active receptor

Dopamine, yes, well spotted Mumbles. That's what I'm enjoying a huge dose of tonight. I was going to blow off this 4th after my wife got scared by one of those firework horror-don't-do-it on Faux and said I better not, but then this morning she started ragging on me because I hadn't got any put together. Women! So I called a buddy over, we started at noon, and by six we had 24 1.75 inch shells, plastic hemispheres, put together. We would have done more, including some 3 inch, but I ran out of coated hulls for the break. I made a couple of 2 inch mines also. We filled two cars with kids and friends and wifey's excellent picnic and drove out to a dry lake to shoot them off. There were at least 1000 people on the lake with fires and fireworks so we not only got to see our own, we got to see four hours of pretty good fireworks from other people. If they were all 1.4G, I would be very surprised - there were some monster shells. But nothing looked obviously home made.

Most of mine were moderately satisfactory. I can hold my head up against most commercial 1.4G shells. I had one fuse failure, so no break, and a batch of purple stars I made all blew blind, so better priming needed. My breaks could use improvement - I recovered a few hemispheres that fell nearby and found they'd split along the joint at the equator, probably because I hadn't left them long enough for the glue to set up properly. I was shooting a bit high - analysis of the movie (time from first light to hearing the report) indicates they all went to 500 feet, give or take 5%.

We saw a surprising number of muzzle breaks around us, probably a dozen in three hours. I don't think they were flowerpots because they formed perfect hemispheres on the ground, some extremely large, enclosing groups of cars and people. If those were commercial bought shells I'm not impressed with the quality control.

Glad to hear everyone is having a good 4th. I did mostly 1.4 fountains and sparklers. Lots of kids around this year. I busted out some ancient stars. They've been "curing" for about 2.5 years. I only had a small amount of purple stars that looked great but were only 1/4" pumped and cut short. (I wish I remember which formula these were) And I had a decent amount and still have various sized Ruby Red stars. I was the only one that seamed to appreciate the purple, but I understand compared to how bright the reds were. Anyways.

12- 2" cannister shells. Visco for timing and all the fuses were cut waaaay to short. Not one break didn't have an upward shape to it. Definitley nowhere near apogee.

1- 2" starmine

3- 1/2" fountains all meal powder mixed with +5% brake dust from a brake lathe. 2 of them sludged up and blew. Not the cleanest/safest way, but it woke up some of the complainers.

Unfortunately I cheated. I had no lift powder and have never had good success with lifting with meal so I used Pyrodex. I should have used the meal on my starmine. I didn't wad it enough and all the stars landed on the grass.

Anyways it was fun to be back and play around again.

I had kind of a hectic week, and didn't get as much made as I wanted. I managed to throw together a few aerial salutes, as my grandpa really likes those. I didn't measure how much I put it, but I'd bet it was somewhere around 40-50g each. 4 salutes, 4 car alarms set off. My cousin has a very sensitive car alarm. I also made two 1.5" ID fountains. I made them identically, but split the batch in half. One half got coarse Titanium, and the other got Al flitter. The Titanium one went much better. I blew out part of the nozzle in the flitter one. I also discovered I need to start using a more temperature resilient nozzle mix. They both erroded pretty well. The vent went from 5/16" to probably 1/2" or more on the flitter one. It was a meal based formula with coarse charcoal and metals and microstars. I used purple. It stood out great against the aluminum, but not so much against the Titanium. I think it was organically fueled, so that makes a lot of sense.

*snip*

I managed to throw together a few aerial salutes, as my grandpa really likes those. I didn't measure how much I put it, but I'd bet it was somewhere around 40-50g each. 4 salutes, 4 car alarms set off. *snip*

That's quite an achivement :D

I never managed to set off a car alarm, somewhat embarassing to be honest :whistle:

Well, there are only two ways to fix it. Bigger salutes, or firing closer to cars :) I'll leave it up to you to decide which to do. In retrospect, the cars were not too far from the firing site. They were still probably past the 70ft/inch guideline, but when you're firing 2" shells that's still pretty close, especially when you're firing pretty powerful salutes. They were about 3/16" walls, and heavily "spiked" with strapping tape. My only regret is that I didn't add any titanium.

My display was cancelled do to a death on my wife's side of the family. Was looking forward to firing my shells. What do I do with these fireworks now? Legally I can shoot only twice a year, May 24 and July 1st. This is what's sitting in my garage now.

16 3" round aerial shells

8 6" round aerial shells

8 2" starmine's

4 purple wheel driver

4 ferro titanium wheel driver

2 glitter fountain's

Well Cookie, scoot over, seems like I'm not going to shoot anything off tonight, which is what I was planning to do, maybe some of the quiet stuff like fountains and cremoras but thats about it, My buddy's car broke down and we can't get to the shoot site. 2sad.gif

Well Cookie, scoot over, seems like I'm not going to shoot anything off tonight, which is what I was planning to do, maybe some of the quiet stuff like fountains and cremoras but thats about it, My buddy's car broke down and we can't get to the shoot site. 2sad.gif

Alot of bad luck this year, I don't know why, where do you live? I live in Maple Ontario, close to Toronto. My wifes nephew died July 1st. His car got hit by a drunk driver. We usually do the shoot at her mothers cottage over the lake but it was cancelled due to his death. Did you hear what happened to Scarbelly? Shit!!! I can't afford a lawyer right now if I get caught, I can barely pay my bills.

Cookie,

Call a fireworks vendor near you and talk to them. You will have to give the fireworks up but at least you will be doing so legally. They may even light them and allow you to watch.

Cookie,

Call a fireworks vendor near you and talk to them. You will have to give the fireworks up but at least you will be doing so legally. They may even light them and allow you to watch.

Rocketman,

I don't have one near me, the only vendors that sell fireworks near me, sell consumer ones. If I show them a 6" shell they will call the cops. There is a high alert here right now because someone bought 60 bags of AN and the vendor forgot to ask for ID.

My link

heres one of my salutes that I asked a million questions about. Unfortunately, 3 out of 8 of them shot out and then just dropped into the lake, no report. 2 of the damn things exploded about an inch out of the mortar and scared the living hell out of us. The boom on the video didnt do them justice, they were absolutely thunderous and you felt it in your chest. These were 150 grams packed into a cylinder with thick walls: