APC Forum

Chinese firing system

TrueBluePyro

I have seen this system around the internet a bit and found where to get it. Looks alright. It is fairly cheap.

The ones I have seen on youtube and such look like they work well.

I'd be happy to buy this system as long as it keeps on working, I'm not really looking into any 'dead on timing'.

So does anyone have any experience with this system or more knowledge about it?

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/6652/14system.jpg

The full product description can be found HERE

I'm not a big fan of the e-madeinchn systems, I don't think the radios are up to scratch for a pyro system. It is probably a bit like ramming a BP rocket with spherical Ti in it, some people do it and I haven't heard of any accidents as a result but it just seems like a risk that could be avoided.

Also 4 cues isn't enough, mine has 12 cues, it is OK but I'm designing a bigger one at the moment.

Yea, so your saying that there's a chance that these can 'go off' accidentally?

Also, I don't really use e-matches and prefer to hand fire my shows, but it would be nice to have just to have a few so that I can light a few cakes that are off to the side while I'm reload or something like that. Really I don't need anything to serious.

Low quality wireless firing system are really dangerous. If the frequency that they use is no "protected", a guy near too your systhem can unlock his car door of drice a RC and if the frequency macth Boom!....

If you don't want to pay to much, use wire. They are cheap and easy to use, because you can even build your own firing system very easily.

The simplest e-fire system I used (back when I was into shooting off Estes) was a paint can used to hold one of those large 12? or 9? volt batteries. Speaker wire was used, and a simple doorbell circuit was used to fire them. I am planning to make a larger firing system...all I'll need to do is add more wires, and more doorbells2happy.gif

I don't know the first thing about e-firing shows, but I personally wouldn't trust an inexpensive radio system. There isn't much RF interference out in the country, but with my limited knowledge of VHF & UHF comms stuff...ehh...wired stuff is very secure.

I assume this device operates on "tones" or "codes"- that is, each remote firing unit listens for a specific tone on the carrier freq (433Mhz) and fires when the freq opens up. Sort of like the operation of GMRS radios- they call 'em CTSS (or some similar acronym) or the squelch on an old PRC-25 or -68 infantry radio- the squelch only opens up if the radio receives a 60Hz tone. To receive from a set that doesn't transmit that tone, you have to turn off the squelch and listen to static.

I guess the simpler example would be a garage door opener...derrrr. Of course, once in a blue moon, the garage door mysteriously opens. (I've obsrved this maybe twice in my life?)

Edited by jwitt

I live on more than 6000 acres or land, I don't think someone is going to rock up with there remote control car, So really I'm not anywhere near anything electrical.

But everyone here seems pretty convinced that these are dangerous... Are there any reports of this happening?

But everyone here seems pretty convinced that these are dangerous... Are there any reports of this happening?

TONS!!! Well everyone have his story, but I am working with a guy that have 32 years of experience in special effect in movies and shows, and he told me a lot of accident that happen with unsafe wireless firing system. Before severe rules were put in place, stupid pyrothecnitian were using any type of wireless system for their show, like wireless car starter... It is why lot of story like this have happen, but today you can't do this and it have save a lot of people.

Today we are using a private frequency that the firing system compagny give to us and over this, the system have an automatic shot down if there is to much interference. Normaly the system never shot down, but on big show, when there are tons of C.B., the system can close. It is why some misfire can happen on big show that don't have the time to pass all the wire... It can also be because of the pyrothecnician is not really good:P

(The system that we use in show cost a lot, but we need to be in rule!)

P.S. : Can someone tell me how to give the name in quotation? thx

Edited by bikemaster

To quote a particular person, click the "Reply" button at the bottom of their individual post. It's in the row with "Edit" and "Multiquote".

If you want to quote more than one person, click the "Multiquote" button for each person you want to quote, then click the "Use Full Editor" button at the bottom of the quick-reply edit box (what I'm typing in right at the moment).

OK, I'm convinced to not buy this and buy some real electric firing gear. I had a chat with my dad, as I normally do before I think about buying something like this so that I can sort of bounce ideas off someone.

We thought it might be worth while investing in a decent long lasting system. So I will be willing to spend up and over $300 to $500 if needed to get a good system that will last for ever or how ever long these things should.

If you guys could give me some good brand names and some good choices I would like to look into it. This will be a decent investment and I would like to get something good. I might not buy it right now and most likely will keep reasearching for maybe a year or more before I feel confident in buying one yet.

Cheers.

Current Chinese firing systens such as the Kingdom / Easy Pyro 20 channel units have good coded security it is extremely unlikely anyone else will have access to your channels. However with all radio systems, it is possible, it's also possible that there can be so much radio mush from LOADS of CB etc that there may be fail to fire faults if the system is blocked by other systems on like frequencies.

I don't know what shipping would be to you from here in the states, or how the exchange rates would affect his prices, but I have been very happy with the 64 cue wireless system that Dewey built for me this past Christmas. Here's the link:

http://www.remotefiringsystems.com/

Yea, doesn't look to bad. But man, if I had a spare 10 grand (for the 'Basic System' lol , the 'Advanced System' is only another 60k) laying around I would pick up that FireOne Lite kit. That stuff looks amazing.

If I ever get into the business side of pyrotechnics, I would get a FierOne. At the moment, I'm looking more at what what TSO just showed me. Looks like it would last, now are there anything electrical things that could endanger me with Deweys system if I was to get one?

a simple doorbell circuit was used to fire them

Eek! I'm not a big fan of the made-in-china stuff, but I would pick one of them any day over using a doorbell.

Dewey is one of the guys who is fairly active in the pyrouniverse efiring forum. Over there they all seem smitten with the e-madeinchina (and other similar) systems and pulling them apart and sticking them into pelican cases seems to be the standard way to build a "professional quality" firing system. No doubt they look good, but inside they are pretty much the same radio gear as the little 4 cue system that TBP posted to begin with.

TBP: you mention that you live on a large property and aren't likely to run across a remote control car, but would anyone viewing your shows have a keyless entry remote in their pocket? Do you have any ham radio operators in nearby (or not so nearby) towns? Any CB or VHF gear in utes, tractors, etc?

To me the real benefit in a wireless system comes from the fact that I don't have a massive property. If I am setting something off I am probably on public land and once I am finished I like to be able to pack up quickly, I don't want to be sitting around winding up a heap of cable. I reckon you would be better off with a wired system. It can be made cheaply and even then it would wind up being safer than the low to mid range wireless systems.

Edit: This quote from Dewey's website pretty much sums it up:

I do have some pyro friends that have purchased systems with the same three codes so they can operate the systems when they get together from one transmitter.

The systems use a simple encoding system. If they had any sort of rolling code or encryption, this wouldn't work. There is pretty much no chance he has designed his own encoding system. He is using off the shelf, low end radios which could wind up being used in any number of other wireless devices.

Edited by mike_au

Thanks Mike. Yes we do have UHF radios around the place, but not used much.

I'm not keen on making one, I would just like to grab something cheap and simply. The 4 cue firing system I posted in the first thing is something I'm looking for, simply, very cheap and you can place them in different area's.

I really only need it for testing maybe one or two things that are off too the side while doing a show.

I know most people are really against this Chinese system but I went ahead and bought it. I mean at $60 inc shipping (they had some sort of discount going on) it's a cheap thing that I should be able to use every now and then. I like to hand fire and use fuse anyway, so this will not be used much, but I do have a few cool ideas for it. Like 'angling' two comets away from each other and putting 2 e-matches on the one cue, so that they both go up at the same, something that can't really be done well with hand firing. I will take into consideration that these systems are considered dangerous, but for were I am, there are very little, to next to no electrical interference. One day once I have the money I would love to buy a professional system.

I like to hand fire and use fuse anyway, so this will not be used much

You say that now, wait until you have tried e-firing :)

I will take into consideration that these systems are considered dangerous, but for were I am, there are very little, to next to no electrical interference.

Keep your matches shunted while you are loading, use a reasonable length wire and make sure that connecting the match and powering on the receiver is the last thing you do before leaving the area. That should be standard practice for any electrical firing system (wireless or not) and is probably enough to keep you out of any serious trouble 99% of the time.

I would be interested to get some real world performance info (radio range, firing current, etc) on those little chinese units though. Let us know if you do any testing on them.

As for the e-match I will be using a bought 'dip your self' e-match. Haven't thought of a comp to use yet, but they are in the mail and will do some testing later on and will let you know the range and etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I now am home and have the e-firing 'kit'. I have some dip your self e-matches and need to find a formula that works.

I just tried 50/50 kclo3/Antimony Trisulfide and NC and that didn't work. I may have added way too much NC though, as I only made a very small amount because I'm only coating one e-match at time so that I can get the right formula.

This is weird, because it should have work.

What is the voltage of your firing systhem?

Did you let the pyrogen mixture dry before to coat the match with the NC?

Did you test your mixture (dry kclo3/antimony) , did it burn easily?

Did the connection of your premade match are good?

Check all of this and you should find why it does not work.

Good luck!

Ok, I tested one this morning, that dried over night and it went off with a crack but really no visable fire. I think I added way too much NC and that is the problem. I think I rushed it a little, that is all, I have had 9 weeks of no pyro so I wanted to jump straight back into it lol.

Sorry for the double post again!

It is now working. used 50/50 with much less NC. The NC was too thick last time and a big drop just fell in with too little powder.

I made 10g of 'dark mix' or 'e-meatch mix' in this case by weighing out 5g of kclo3 and adding the NC and a little more acetone and mixing it in. After that I would add the Antimony Trisulfide and mix it all in and get a nice slurry.

I dip the e-match into the mix, let it dry and then dip into NC and let dry again. ignited instantly with the press of the button 2smile.gif. Very pleased with it. I just used it to light a bottle rocket fuse (1.8mm visco) and it lit it instantly. Very pleased with it thus far, should do some distance testing soon. Should have a video of it all up in a few days maybe.

EDIT: Should go mass produce some e-matches now.

Edited by TrueBluePyro

• 2 weeks later...
Here you go. I got a video up of the firing system.
Edited by TrueBluePyro

Do you know if those things still have the mechanical relays in them, or if they've finally been upgraded to the solid state ones? The mechanical ones are prone to going off with dropping the unit, or being too close to shell lift.

Do you know if those things still have the mechanical relays in them, or if they've finally been upgraded to the solid state ones? The mechanical ones are prone to going off with dropping the unit, or being too close to shell lift.

Sorry mumbles. I wouldn't know.

Here you go. I got a video up of the firing system.

Trueblue,

I bought this single cue in November of last year which I think is the old version. They told me the transmitter has a range of 500ft. They also told me they have 12 cue firing systems with a transmitter that has a range of 1000ft. So far Ive used it twice with no problems. post-10148-127758336107_thumb.jpg