APC Forum

Magnalium uses

AdmiralDonSnider

Huh...., That is a source that I would have never thought of....cool2.gif I have a family member that works as a mechanic for that stuff...... I should see what he can get.... blush.gif

Any other ideas?

Brackets, housings, anything that is silver looking on a bike is usually Al or Mg, you need to scratch the oxidization off the metal to get a reaction, Mg will just stare at you if there isn't very clean metal to test.

My first few batches of MgAl were from motorcycle/dirtbike parts...chaincase, valve covers etc... they are often cast with the word 'Magnesium' right on them.

Other sources include (some) lawnmower decks, chainsaw and other power tool casings, and mag wheels

Edited by Bonny

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dagabu

• AdmiralDonSnider

• pyrojig

• Algenco

Nice!!!! I did read a tutorial I found on Trueblue's pyro site... and Mag wheels was one of the things that he was using ..wink2.gif I have scratched the surface on all the surfaces Iv'e checked so far, as I am well aware the Mag forms a oxidized protection layer madding fast... I have wondered about why those case covers on motorcycles where so dang light...Guess I just assumed it was AL.. I'll be more attentive in my search for mag, now knowing a few more places to look.

I picked up 100lb scrap Mg for $30.

3 lawnboy mower decks and a dock plate

HEY! Aren't you supposed to be resting?

Get better so you can make us some Mg/Al ;)

HEY! Aren't you supposed to be resting?

Get better so you can make us some Mg/Al ;)

I am resting, went to town and picked up 20lb scrap Al pipe, came home cut it into useable size pieces and went back to bed, all for today.

Hopefully I'll melt 10-15Lb tomorrow

What would you melt such large batches with, Al?

I don't, I do 2-2.5lb at a time, I usually do 8-10 batches in an afternoon

Hey, what is this dock plate you speak of?

Did you just go to some random repair shop and request decks from broken mowers?

Hey, what is this dock plate you speak of?

Did you just go to some random repair shop and request decks from broken mowers?

Picked it up at a recycler.

Dock plate used when unloadind trucks, allows forklift to enter trailer.

Most "dock plates" are Aluminum, they just happenened to have a Mg plate.

Lawnmower/chainsaw shops are good sources for Mg.

As far as I know only "Lawnboy" used Mg decks.

Just ask the repair guys if they have any Mg.

Offer $0.25lb, scrap dealers are only paying $0.15

Ok that makes sense.. Thanks for that clarification.. I will have to take you advise and see If I can find a few repair shops, and offer them a good price or maybe beer...., LOl that seems to add a bit of leverage.....