APC Forum

Alcohol

Draco_Aster

According to mythbusters, the fastest way to chill your beer is with saltwater. Unfortunately it makes the can salty. Shouldn't have that problem with a keg. Not sure on the overall time required, but much less than straight icewater. I'd guess it would be nice and frosty after a two hour stretch.

They really should have tested an acetone or alcohol, dry-ice slurry. :)

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• tentacles

• FrankRizzo

• asilentbob

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My cousin had a machine that looked kind of like a ball mill that would spin the cans in ice water and cool them off in a couple of minutes. I figured that with liquid nitrogen would only take a few seconds. And they call themselves scientists :rolleyes:

If any of you guys have kegging systems with soda kegs, I was wondering how long they take to cool off? I am thinking about getting a 2 keg kegging system. If I wanted to take one with me somewhere, would being on ice for a few hours be enough to chill them?

The literature from Coors says to put a 16 gallon keg in the fridge 16 hours before consumption. Hope that helps.

I think the obvious solution is a small jet engine...

http://www.asciimation.co.nz/beer/

Amazing link Mike...

Now it looks like I'm not a very good Kiwi Bloke. I don't care about rugby at all, and not much about beer either, but I do appreciate that kind of... over engineering.

(and I do have a shed).

Score, I finally found the registration code to my brewsmith program. I don't know how I ever lived without it.

Salt water cools better for two reasons. Firstly, it lowers the freezing point of the water so that energy doesn't go into latent cooling by freezing the water (preferably, the freezing point of the water would be below the temperature of the ice). Secondly, and far less importantly, it lowers the specific heat of the water.

You could use dry ice and methanol, then blow a fan across it, with a towel to soak up the methanol placed in front of the fan. (saltwater and ice will work fine too, if you don't want to waste money). It will get cold FAST. Hell, you could just wrap the keg in a towel soaked in methanol or water then blow a fan across it. It will get cold, fast.

Salt water cools better for two reasons. Firstly, it lowers the freezing point of the water so that energy doesn't go into latent cooling by freezing the water (preferably, the freezing point of the water would be below the temperature of the ice). Secondly, and far less importantly, it lowers the specific heat of the water.

You could use dry ice and methanol, then blow a fan across it, with a towel to soak up the methanol placed in front of the fan. (saltwater and ice will work fine too, if you don't want to waste money). It will get cold FAST. Hell, you could just wrap the keg in a towel soaked in methanol or water then blow a fan across it. It will get cold, fast.

its worth remembering that approximative cooling only works to a degree. When it gets cold enough blowing comparatively hot air across your evaporator will heat it and than inturn heat your cooling fluid I had this problem when brewing lager when there was a 8 degree(in the proper temperature measuring system) difference it started warming up my water bath