APC Forum

Substitution of Parlon with Saran Resin

jrin0630

flash burst is used in small cakes.

You will need a good quality BP (coated on rice hulls) to use it as a burst charge.Small amount of flash powder is used as a booster alongwith BP burst charge.

One may also use loose whistle mix as a booster. This eliminates the bright white flash as the shell bursts, which detracts from the shell's effects.

WSM B)

Also, you don't need or in some cases don't want BP coated onto rice hulls for bursting cylinder shells. Typically granulated or corned BP is used.

• Like 1

Thanks for clarification to both....but That guy sounded newbie here so avoided mentioning wistle mixture and standard 70/30 mixture.

also he dont have those chemicals in hand.

@NanaPatekar Spreading away of stars of a shell depends on lots of factors and not only the composition of burst charge alone. So it is quite hard to solve your problem without knowing the details like the construction of shell, star type and composition, amount of burst charge etc. and a video is very helpful along with these information.

Usually flash broken shells require rock hard and easy to ignite stars, which also have the ability to keep up the ignition when moving at very fast speed through the air, to survive against the high burst pressure otherwise it’d shatter or blow blind. Some shattered stars may take fire but they cover a very small area than expected.

@NanaPatekar Spreading away of stars of a shell depends on lots of factors and not only the composition of burst charge alone. So it is quite hard to solve your problem without knowing the details like the construction of shell, star type and composition, amount of burst charge etc. and a video is very helpful along with these information.

Usually flash broken shells require rock hard and easy to ignite stars, which also have the ability to keep up the ignition when moving at very fast speed through the air, to survive against the high burst pressure otherwise it’d shatter or blow blind. Some shattered stars may take fire but they cover a very small area than expected.

i made 2" cylinderical shell from paper and sealed with wood glue and sea sand combination total shell weigt is 162gm out of that i used 30gm tiger tail star( formula is Kno3 - 44gm, C -44gm, S - 6gm and Dextrine - 6 gm), as bust charg i used 12gm flash powder ( Formula is Barium Nitrate - 1gm, S - 4gm, Al fine powder - 3gm and Kno3 - 8gm) some time used 15gm black powder (75:15:10) as bust chargebust but it also not worked well like your shell. paper shell tube thikness is around 3mm or more.

i made 2" cylinderical shell from paper and sealed with wood glue and sea sand combination total shell weigt is 162gm out of that i used 30gm tiger tail star( formula is Kno3 - 44gm, C -44gm, S - 6gm and Dextrine - 6 gm), as bust charg i used 12gm flash powder ( Formula is Barium Nitrate - 1gm, S - 4gm, Al fine powder - 3gm and Kno3 - 8gm) some time used 15gm black powder (75:15:10) as bust chargebust but it also not worked well like your shell. paper shell tube thikness is around 3mm or more.

Got it! You are just trying to replicate the ‘Sivakasi type’ can shells which are actually similar to bombettes in construction and I think you are on the right way. Here are some tips that might help you.

Star should be rock hard, primed with bp (I do prime it for this type of shell especially) and between 4 to 6 mm. Press the stars against a hard surface with something like wooden dowel, if crumble easily then it wouldn’t fit for this type of shell at all.

Check for shell fragments after burst. It should be ruptured with lots of small pieces. If you find some large pieces of your shell, you will have to be attentive with uniform wall thickness and highly secured plug which you make with sand and glue (I used fevicol and sawdust with great success).For lack of burst pressure (if you experienced it) you may increase the parts of al to the burst composition. IIRC, I used (8-10gms) kno3-5, al-3, s-2 with mepco999 Al.

• Like 1