APC Forum

Substitution of Parlon with Saran Resin

jrin0630

I was wondering if anyone had any experience or insight into whether or not its worth while to substitute parlon with saran resin in certain colored stars? Specifically I'm working on Kepleys Emerald Green and was going to substitute parlon with saran resin since saran has superior chlorine donor characteristics. Would it enhance the emerald green (or any other color that uses parlon)?

Only a well conducted trial will tell!

The chlorine content acts as a fire depressant as well as a chlorine donor, the C and H in the formula of the chlorine donor can act as part of the fuel needed, so try it and tell us.

I suspect that your substitution will work but the formula may need optimising again.

It will not enhance the star. Parlon is used as the binder in this case, and makes a very strong star. Saran doesnt have quite the same effect. If you bind another way, you may find better results. Then again, the amount of parlon supplies more than enough chlorine for this star.

Try it, thats the beauty of the hobby. Experimentation is greatly welcomed.

Tyrone, have you even seen the composition? Parlon is NOT the binder. Except for go getters, and something recently being experimented with by Rob Whyte, parlon is never designed to be the binder in any conventional star.

Anyway, yes, you can replace it with saran. I use a modified version of this star with saran in it. It burns a bit faster, so it had to be modified. It will be fine 1:1.

Also, I moved this thread.

I use parlon Binder all the time. Only downside is the lack of uniformity among the stars. Cutting can be a pain. Anyway, if it is not the binder, then go right ahead! Saran is much finer and will make a more homogeneous composition over parlon.

Tyrone, have you even seen the composition? Parlon is NOT the binder. Except for go getters, and something recently being experimented with by Rob Whyte, parlon is never designed to be the binder in any conventional star.

Anyway, yes, you can replace it with saran. I use a modified version of this star with saran in it. It burns a bit faster, so it had to be modified. It will be fine 1:1.

Also, I moved this thread.

I use parlon as the binder like everytime. Makes things very easy.

So do I. It is such a great thing!

yeah and also parlon is so cheap for me and I practicly have a unlimited supply of the stuff.

Parlon, which is used in much higher proportions, is cheaper than dextrin for you?

For me, and I buy both in bulk, parlon costs 6x as much. Not to mention the solvent being 12x as expensive.

No, I didnt say it was cheaper then dextrin. It does cost more them dextrin.

I still mostly use parlon, but I use alot of parlon for colour stars that have parlon it it.

I think my parlon would be cheaper then homemade Dextrin. Yes. But when you add the acertone, then no.

But I am working on a hobby scale, not full out manerfacture.

i doubt your starch costs that much but yeah i use acetone on coloured stars to dissolve the perlon but if there is no parlon in a star i would never consider using it as a binder

Yeah, on small hobby scale, where I have a small source of free acetone, parlon works just fine. although....

Dextrin does make by far more uniform stars, but there is some appreciable degree of satisfaction to have rock hard stars in just a few hours, over a few weeks.

Yeah, on small hobby scale, where I have a small source of free acetone, parlon works just fine. although....

Dextrin does make by far more uniform stars, but there is some appreciable degree of satisfaction to have rock hard stars in just a few hours, over a few weeks.

Some of the red and green color comps listed in Pyro Guide indicate you can wet the comps that contain parlon with either 75/25 Water/Alcohol mixture or acetone. I dont have any acetone, so I was going to bind with water/alcohol. Does it make a difference? Will the parlon disolve adequately?

Some of the red and green color comps listed in Pyro Guide indicate you can wet the comps that contain parlon with either 75/25 Water/Alcohol mixture or acetone. I dont have any acetone, so I was going to bind with water/alcohol. Does it make a difference? Will the parlon disolve adequately?

Parlon is not soluble in water alcohol.

D

If those comps you're talking about also contain dextrin or some other binder, that could explain why it says either will work. Parlon is not usually a binder, but it can work as one under certain conditions. You don't really need to dissolve it for it to work properly.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

If those comps you're talking about also contain dextrin or some other binder, that could explain why it says either will work. Parlon is not usually a binder, but it can work as one under certain conditions. You don't really need to dissolve it for it to work properly.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

That is completely right. Those comps will contain either Red Gum, SGRS, or Dextrin. most likely dextrin since its a 75/25 ratio.

anyway, Parlon does not need to be dissolved, and the star will work perfectly fine without it, just make sure that the comp is properly screened.

That is completely right. Those comps will contain either Red Gum, SGRS, or Dextrin. most likely dextrin since its a 75/25 ratio.

anyway, Parlon does not need to be dissolved, and the star will work perfectly fine without it, just make sure that the comp is properly screened.

Great....I was thinking along the same lines and figured it was because the Parlon did not need to be completly dissolved. Thanks.

• 4 years later...

what is the local name of parlon,copper oxide,red gum,dextrin.as exm: potassim nitrate=sora,sulfer=gondgok etc.

what is the local name of parlon,copper oxide,red gum,dextrin.as exm: potassim nitrate=sora,sulfer=gondgok etc.

As far as i know, there are no local (Bengali) terms for those chemicals at all.

As far as i know, there are no local (Bengali) terms for those chemicals at all.

Parlon would be Klōrinayukta Rabāra, I guess. Edited by hindsight

Parlon would be Klōrinayukta Rabāra, I guess.

It's a literal translation of "chlorinated rubber" by google and not a local term.

• 1 month later...

i am using Al+sulfur+potassium Nitrate as bust chrage in cylinderical shell but stars are not spreding much longer like your home made 3" shell effect please tell mi right composition for that

flash burst is used in small cakes.

You will need a good quality BP (coated on rice hulls) to use it as a burst charge.Small amount of flash powder is used as a booster alongwith BP burst charge.