Parlon 10

WHITE

Ba(NO3)2 51

Sulfur 19

Mg/Al 60mesh 12

Mg/Al 200mesh 6

KNO3 7

Dextrin 5

Notes: Adjust Mg/Al particle size and ratio(s) to tweek flash rate.

Anyone tried these yet?

Otherwise I will try it in a couple of days.

I never got a strobe from the red or green both worked OK for a colored fuel with a small benzoate boost in the first increment though.

• 10 months later...

Mumbles,

Have you tried these? They do tend to have a shimmering quality but aren't too bad for a non-AP comp. It's a modification of the common Ba(NO3)2 / KNO3 white formula (listed last).

RED

Sr(NO3)2 54

Sulfur 20

Mg/Al 60mesh 12

Dextrin 5

Parlon 10

GREEN

Ba(NO3)2 54

Sulfur 20

Mg/Al 60mesh 12

Dextrin 5

Parlon 10

WHITE

Ba(NO3)2 51

Sulfur 19

Mg/Al 60mesh 12

Mg/Al 200mesh 6

KNO3 7

Dextrin 5

Notes: Adjust Mg/Al particle size and ratio(s) to tweek flash rate.

This is my test for the above red strobe. It was a 3" plastic shell 4G of 70/30 MCRH 5:1. The star was 1/2" pumped, everything was milled together except the 60-100 Mgal. I am not sure what went on they looked like they lit and blew out. on the other hand in slow motion you can see them blinking. The strobe shell is the second one in the video, maybe some of you can figure out what was going on.

Edited by dynomike1

Last time i was mixing white strobe, i try smth. and add copper oxide to maybe get some more bluish colour but on the end the comp with 5% copper was much slower burning and the blinking rate was much slower, more on- off..

Here are wideos with and without copper oxide, but it is not a star but dry composition..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p1t30ts4f9rwwlo/Brez%28hitreje%29.3gp?dl=0 normal comp.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mrlqup4bwowp0cp/Z%20%28pocasno%29.3gp?dl=0 with added 5% copper oxide

I think it will play now. After watching the video 15 more times i'm thinking the stars might not be as dry as i thought. Not sure.

Edited by dynomike1

• 1 month later...

Final test on these stars. I used strontium, or Barium nitrate. Some with acetone some with 75/25 water alcohol and the best i can get out of them is a little flitter. Guess ill just stay with the white ones for now.

In Mike's video, the initial break is the prime burning off. It looks like most of the stars didn't take fire. You can see some of them flash but (in my opinion) too slowly for a shell burst, unless it's a 6 or bigger that goes really high.

I have some of those stars left over, i will build another shell and video it when it quits raining.

Here is my last test on Nitrate strobe. The red ones were cut with Acetone, and the green/white as per my camera were pumped with 75/25. Both were 1/2" stars. Run the video up to about 13sec. it is damp and we had some problems with uncoated fuse.

https://youtu.be/wLQMPL90Xdk