APC Forum

Lead Pipes for media..

pyrogeorge

Thanks,Also can i use different types of media is the same jar?for example brass-lead media.Is it safe?

For making BP only.Not to grind other chemicals.

Brass is good to go for everything except perhaps chlorates, or ammonium perchlorate. The hex stock you show will probably work well, but the sharp corners might tear up the jar for a while until they round off a bit. If you can get round stock, I think it might be better. 5/8" or about 16mm is a good size for a typical jar, anything from 12mm to 20mm should be good. If you want to fill one of those small rubber jars on the rock polishing machines, 1/2" or 12mm would be best.

http://www.5bears.com/firew/bp020.jpg

http://www.5bears.com/firew/bp021.jpg

Stainless steel is great, but expensive. Ceramic media is good also but probably not for BP or any mixtures; single chems only. That seems to be the concensus.

Pure Cu would work but be VERY expensive. Media is an odd thing, you think you have a huge pile, and you can barely charge a 1 gallon jar. Always buy/make more than you think you need.

Do you guys know if HD or Lowes carries brass rod? And maybe the price range for 1/2" ?

Also how do you guys cut and debur them? All I have is a hacksaw and some 200 mesh silicon carbide grit.

Ventsi,

Go to a metal supply shop or a scrap dealer for buying brass. The big box stores will have "project metal", but it's often times 3x what you'd pay if you went to a welding shop or scrap recycler.

Thesidewinder:

Can you post a photo from your brass media?

Take a look at Swede's pic. When I first glanced at it, I thought that was *MY* mill jar and media. A real double-take on my part.

My setup is 2 6-pound jars, and I believe his pic is a single 12-pound jar. The media is identical: Brass cut from round stock.

@Ventsi: Frank is right, go to a metal supply shop for the best price. When I bought my 16-foot rod, it was only $40. Prices have gone up since then, though.

looks nice,i will try to find some rods.Can i use both brass and lead media?Is it safe?ONLY for black powder.

thanks swede for the pic's

So, I have the 3lb version, ANY idea how many feet I'll need? Of the 1/2' variety tghat is.

Can i use both brass and lead media?

Both brass and lead are suitable for black powder milling but you can't mix them. The brass will grind the lead away in no time flat.

So, I have the 3lb version, ANY idea how many feet I'll need? Of the 1/2' variety tghat is.

1/2 inch might be a bit light. 5/8 inch would probably work a bit better. And I'd guess 3 or 4 feet of it.

I used *almost* all of my original 3/4-inch, 16-foot stock for media. And the result was just enough for 2, 6-pound jars.

Do you brass users notice any difference in mill times between brass and lead media? Does the difference in density matter?

With the exact same size media, Brass *should* take a bit longer simply because it has a lesser mass/volume.

Like I said, I just settled on a 24-hour mill time for all my BP formulas. And the results have been very good.

A "real" ball mill will take considerably less time overall.

Both brass and lead are suitable for black powder milling but you can't mix them. The brass will grind the lead away in no time flat.

That's right..Also do you know if i use lead balls and lead rods together can grind each other or it hasn't got any problem.Because it is easy to make lead rods than balls.

@Ventsi: Frank is right, go to a metal supply shop for the best price. When I bought my 16-foot rod, it was only $40. Prices have gone up since then, though.

I found that the Koopman Lumber( despite its name it deals will all hardwear) offers

(all are dependent apon size)

(round) hollow copper pipe- $0.10-1.29 per foot

(round) solid copper rods- $0.30-3.00 per foot

soild Brass hex rods- $1.00-4.29 per foot

they have short 6in lead rods for anywere from $3.50-6.89 per rod

i find that if i ask for damaged/oddsized/bent/ or otherwise damaged metal, its sometimes free( got a few brass hex rods that were severly bent that way) but most of the time i'll end up paying $10 for a whole bucket of scrap ( i got some realy nice steel rods that way, i havent used them becouse i cant cut them >.<)

they have more types of rods/pipes, but im not sure as to what they charge.

I do sculptures in my spare time so thats how i came to know the prices.

That's right..Also do you know if i use lead balls and lead rods together can grind each other or it hasn't got any problem.Because it is easy to make lead rods than balls.

anyone?

The rods will eventually smooth out and become ball-shaped(ish) as well. The shape shouldn't matter much if they are the same alloy. If one is a tougher alloy it will grind away the other little by little.