APC Forum

Lead Pipes for media..

pyrogeorge

I found some lead pipes from drain and i am thinking to melt it to make some lead media for my ball mill,but i don't know if this lead is safe or is it contamined with other metalls or elements generally which is unsafe for the ball mill.

So, can i use this lead for media or not??

Edited by pyrogeorge

Pipe is usually considered to be pure "soft" lead. The flanges can sometimes contain a bit of tin which will make them slightly harder. I would suggest against using it though. Pure lead is much too soft, and will erode quickly after just a few mill runs. If you've got a local shop that does tires, ask them for the scrap wheel weights. Tell 'em you use it for casting large fishing sinkers. A 6'er of beer might help too. :)

Hmm, would a 50/50 alloy of zinc/lead be suitable for milling?

I have a couple ignots of each and would like to start using safe media, as far as I know zinc doesnt spark either.

Pipe is usually considered to be pure "soft" lead. The flanges can sometimes contain a bit of tin which will make them slightly harder. I would suggest against using it though. Pure lead is much too soft, and will erode quickly after just a few mill runs. If you've got a local shop that does tires, ask them for the scrap wheel weights. Tell 'em you use it for casting large fishing sinkers. A 6'er of beer might help too. :)

Also i saw in store a anchor and it looks like that it was made from lead..Do you know if this is made from lead and is better for media?

For the sack of not starting a new thread, Ill jsut put it here.

I have read (I think) that you can use copper rod and chop it up into chunks and use that as media? I think it would work.

I think that i read too that you can use,but i don't remember where i read that..

Use copper pipe that you've cut with a pipe-cutter. The length should be the same as the diameter for better tumbling action. The pieces of pipe should then be filled with molten lead to get the weight up a bit. That's what I use, cheap and simple.

hmm, yeah, that would be a good idea, I might try it one day if I ever get around to it or even go looking for lead.

I agree, go to a tire or auto repair shop. We had a 5 gallon bucket underneath the wheel balancer that we threw all the old weights in when mounting tires or doing a tire balance service.

You can buy a mold from a fishing retailer like Cabelas to make your own milling balls.

And if you offer up a 6'er of frosties, someone will probably carry the bucket to your car for you :D :D

Hmm, would a 50/50 alloy of zinc/lead be suitable for milling?

I have a couple ignots of each and would like to start using safe media, as far as I know zinc doesnt spark either.

I would imagine that zinc would be too reactive to use in mills.

Yeah, that high of zinc content could cause issues with sulfur perhaps.

I'm not sure what the situation is in greece, but you may want to look into some old print shops or ebay for some type cast lead (linotype). It's quite strong actually. One could also drill a series of holes into some scrap wood, and cast the lead right in there. You can get quite a few castings before the wood burns away too much.

Use copper pipe that you've cut with a pipe-cutter. The length should be the same as the diameter for better tumbling action. The pieces of pipe should then be filled with molten lead to get the weight up a bit. That's what I use, cheap and simple.

Or copper rod is better..just cut and they are ready for milling.

If you have a mill you can make a split mold to cast media in. Either that or simply fill innocent objects with lead

Also brass rods are safe to use as media?I found in a store like this..

http://www.allproducts.com/metal/powerway/brass_rod-2.jpg

Chemical composition:

Cu 57-59%

Al 1.3-2.3%

Fe 1.0% max

Mn 1.5-3.0%

Ni 1.0% max

Pb 0.2-0.8%

Si 0.3-1.3%

Sn 0.4% max

Zn balance

Other 0.3%max

Edited by pyrogeorge

I just use .50 cal ball that I make from wheel weights and cast in a LEE ball mold. They have been rolling around in there for years and they are only down to .426" from .498". I also have a mill full of 1/2" steel balls that make short work of everything else except finished compositions. No Chlorates, no need.

Or copper rod is better..just cut and they are ready for milling.

The price difference between solid copper rod and copper pipe filled with lead is rather hefty but to each his own.

can somebody tell me if the brass rods above can used as media?is it safe?

Brass is fine too. I would avoid AP though. I also don't have the necessary tools to cut it properly.

I use Brass media.

Never milled AP with it, and won't. I just use it for BP or other single chems.

I bought a 16 foot, 3/4 inch rod stock, and cut 3/4" slugs off, then smoothed them with a sander.

A good bandsaw would work very well.

I used a chop saw with a metal-cutting blade and it did the job just fine, as long as I took my time.

(If you don't care about your blades and have several to waste, you can do it much more quickly of course. :whistle: )

They've worked very well, with very little wear.

well I think you smoth them, just so that you kinda prevent them from chipping in the future and plus it looks nice. Edited by TrueBluePyro

Prevents unnecessary wear on the milling jars before the smooth themselves out. Plus it looks nicer. :D

Yeah, that high of zinc content could cause issues with sulfur perhaps.

Are you sure? I'll give it a shot with 25% zinc, I dont think it should react much, heck brass has around 30% of zinc and its fine for milling BP.

I'll give it a go and check back on tuesday.

Hmmm.... I think I already did, long ago. But I'll try to snap a newer pic in the next couple days.