APC Forum

PGI 2009

deadman

Mark,

Off-topic from the thread, but would you mind taking some photos as you make your screens? That would make a great tutorial for the forum or Passfire article! :)

As a matter of fact I am going to be rebuilding my small dryer. So I can do this for you as well. I will be picking up material today and I'll see how far I get. I'll have to look in the tutorials to see if someone has done something all ready. I am sure there is stuff out there. But on the other hand as pyro goes there is always an individual twist! What ever I do it will have to be PDQ. I have to get my trailer ready for the trip too.

I also make a pretty darn good omlette but I can't feed an army and I have stars to make the first part of the week.

See you guys there!

Mark

Sorry I've been really busy lately and have not spent much time online.

Frank Rizzo answered your question for you. I see you are a PGI member and I am assuming you registered for the PGI event. Visit their site for competition rules and safety rules pages to give you a start. The new Bulletin should be out soon but will probably follow last years schedule fairly close. This will give you an idea of when competions and open shooting are. Manufacturing hrs may vary but mostly done during the daylight as I understand it for the big shells the other area may vary depending on support. Any safety concerns or special needs can be asked from Danny Creagan who is manufacturing chair. This is my first time to a PGI as well. What I do know is that there is a big shell area :P . Otherwise just show up and ask. As Frank said you can pretty much build what ever you want. There are seminars for things you may like to build in the future. Supplies will be plentiful if you forget something or change your mind, so bring stuff and tools to build what you have planned. The biggest thing to worry about is the weather and the clock! Hope this helps.

Work smart and Stay green

Mark

Mark,

I should have been more specific, sorry.

What chems can I bring, any mixes at all? Can I bring corned BP? Those are are the kinds of "what" I was looking for.

I think the new rules say that you are not allowed to bring any made devices or mixed things as you said, like, BP or stars and such, you have to make that at the location. I think you need a licence if you want to bring made stuff.

The new ATF interpretations will certainly put a damper on things. Where theres a will, theres a way though.

TrueBlue is correct, unless you have an ATF permit, you're not allowed to bring live material into the fairgrounds. There will be a place for ball mills to run, and star rollers as well. Bring your chemicals and screens, you definitely won't be the only person making stars/comets/BP etc. on the first couple of days. :)

These things (the PGI) go for a week, right? I would've thought that would be plenty of time to make stuff. Stars I would bind with acertone or NC maybe even do that with glitter stars, I have tried binding glitter stars with NC before and it still worked out nicely, but of course it will be a different effect.

Would there be the odd coupler who would try to bring made stuff through with out the proper permits? how do you guys get checked? Do they search your car or something, or is it more if a honisty thing, and if you dont you get screwed?

In the past it's always kind of been on the honor system. There will be an ATF agent at the gate. They'll ask you if you have any live material in commerce. If you say yes, they ask for your licence. If you say no, they let you through as long as you don't have any 10" salamis buckled into the passenger's seat next to you. Who knows this year though.

Though I haven't heard specifics, it's been hinted that the ATF *WILL* be keeping track of who checks what into the on-site magazine.

And if someone checks in a completed 6" ball shell on day one, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that they didn't make it from "scratch", on-site, that day.

I'd urge *everyone* to follow the rules, especially this year. Who knows what they're going to do.

Well... There are ways to get a 6" ball finished on day one... Like buying pre-made stars if they are available for sale this year like last year.... As well if you started early in the morning and used a low BP non-aqueous solvent and very little of it to make your stars/filler/burst/lift they could be dry in time... and for pasting... why paste when you can just wrap up in fiberglass re-inforced strapping tape...

Of if you found someone to transport material for you... and got them to transport your stars, and/or filler, and/or burst, and/or lift...

I think all the APC members should accumulate in some corner of the tent we can all ramble while we manufacture with each other.

Are we going to have a get together? or is everyone pretty much going to get together with the Passfire peeps?

Though I haven't heard specifics, it's been hinted that the ATF *WILL* be keeping track of who checks what into the on-site magazine.

And if someone checks in a completed 6" ball shell on day one, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that they didn't make it from "scratch", on-site, that day.

I'd urge *everyone* to follow the rules, especially this year. Who knows what they're going to do.

WHEW!!!!!!

I could spend an hour reiterating my hundred conversations with ATF, DOT, the Fire Marshal PGI and my own club but in order to keep it short, this is what has come from Gods mouth to my ear regarding PGI Convention:

-If it can be shipped by ground without licenses of any kind, you can bring it to PGI.

-BP can be made at PGI but must be checked in to the MAG at night. Ball milling MAY be OK.

-There is 'likely' going to be a DOT inspection at the gates. According to PGI blog/list,

"DOT:

If you are NOT in commerce you may refuse DOT inspection."

I can’t get answers about:

-Whistle Mix

-Fuse (all types)

-Black match

This year I am coming to take pictures video and learn everything I can and be ready to compete next year.

From the safety chair of the mfg area:

All,

This will be my last general reminder about PGI_Manufacturing. It includes some updated information so please scan below for the latest.

My first serious reminder: Have fun and smile a lot.

Second, my cell phone is XXX XXX XXXX. Copy it down and call me if you have a question that can't be answered or you need help. Take it with you to the PGI. I will send this out from the PGI grounds when I get there. I'm working outside for the next few days so you may get voice mail. Don't worry, leave your name and I'll call you right back. Be sure you say it is for PGI so I will know it isn't a marketer.

Assume both the ATF and DOT will be at the gate when you come in. The full discussion about this has been in the bulletin and on the lists so I won't repeat it here.

We're expecting you to bring a table if you can. We are purchasing the material to make about 50 tables (this is a change) but, if we fill, we will need about 74 tables total. Bring a table if you can.

Bring a chair if you can. I recommend getting a fold-up chair anyway - you will use it for other things. We will have some chairs available (this is a change). We may steal them back for some seminars but I suspect it won't be a problem.

Bring a 50' extension cord. The power layout will be a problem that has to be solved on the spot. We may be running power lines on one wall of the tent but I'm not sure right now. Power will be limited so if you have large power requirements, ask now. Expected power usage for each person will be for glue guns, chargers and maybe a fan. I've contacted Rob and Linda (big power users) and they have a plan.

Ball mills are allowed. Bring yours if you wish. However, you will have to ball mill in a designated area which will not be near the MFR tent. See me to get an area assigned.

Friday afternoon, several of you have volunteered to help build tables. Bring a Skill Saw (or even a working saw), portable drill with bits, chop saw, hammer, cross point bits. I'll bring a chop saw and a small drill press. If you don't have any of these items or you are flying in or whatever, don't worry, come by anyway if you volunteered. We will probably have more equipment than we need and our big purpose is to shlep 3/4" OSB around. Two people are needed to do that without straining our milk. If we all work together, building the tables won't take long at all - Let's start at 4:00 (or after the rain).

There will be a hand-wash station and restroom outside the large tent - right now there will NOT be one outside the All-Stars or the Big Shell tents. I like to bring a five gallon bucket for these things anyway. Now all I have to do is find a place to wash my hands. ;-}

If you have incomplete items and you need to store them, take them to the magazine on Friday. If you are unsure or need help, stop by the tents and see me.

MFR is first come, first served. Stop by and see the safety person in the area you want to manufacture. You will have to sign the Policy statement and keep it posted at your area. Bring some tape for that purpose. We also have to turn a copy into Robin for insurance purposes.

To get to the manufacturing tent, take the first left when entering the gate and drive down to where the road stops... look left. The large shell manufacturing tent(s) will be around the corner and down on the left.

We cannot start manufacturing until Saturday morning. We will shut down Friday evening at dusk. Please remove all equipment by noon on Saturday - we will be tearing down the tent at noon.

All completed items must go to an approved magazine (not the day storage).

Flash cannot be mixed in the open - you must use the binary method.

MFR will be open in the evening if we have enough safety volunteers to keep an eye on everything. If we don't, then MFR will close for competition and shows.

What did I miss?

Wait... I know... We're supposed to have fun - so let's be sure to do that! I'm on pins and needles - my fun meter is pegging already!

Dan

From the safety chair of the mfg area:

All,

This will be my last general reminder about PGI_Manufacturing. It includes some updated information so please scan below for the latest.

My first serious reminder: Have fun and smile a lot.

Second, my cell phone is XXX XXX XXXX. Copy it down and call me if you have a question that can't be answered or you need help. Take it with you to the PGI. I will send this out from the PGI grounds when I get there. I'm working outside for the next few days so you may get voice mail. Don't worry, leave your name and I'll call you right back. Be sure you say it is for PGI so I will know it isn't a marketer.

Assume both the ATF and DOT will be at the gate when you come in. The full discussion about this has been in the bulletin and on the lists so I won't repeat it here.

We're expecting you to bring a table if you can. We are purchasing the material to make about 50 tables (this is a change) but, if we fill, we will need about 74 tables total. Bring a table if you can.

Bring a chair if you can. I recommend getting a fold-up chair anyway - you will use it for other things. We will have some chairs available (this is a change). We may steal them back for some seminars but I suspect it won't be a problem.

Bring a 50' extension cord. The power layout will be a problem that has to be solved on the spot. We may be running power lines on one wall of the tent but I'm not sure right now. Power will be limited so if you have large power requirements, ask now. Expected power usage for each person will be for glue guns, chargers and maybe a fan. I've contacted Rob and Linda (big power users) and they have a plan.

Ball mills are allowed. Bring yours if you wish. However, you will have to ball mill in a designated area which will not be near the MFR tent. See me to get an area assigned.

Friday afternoon, several of you have volunteered to help build tables. Bring a Skill Saw (or even a working saw), portable drill with bits, chop saw, hammer, cross point bits. I'll bring a chop saw and a small drill press. If you don't have any of these items or you are flying in or whatever, don't worry, come by anyway if you volunteered. We will probably have more equipment than we need and our big purpose is to shlep 3/4" OSB around. Two people are needed to do that without straining our milk. If we all work together, building the tables won't take long at all - Let's start at 4:00 (or after the rain).

There will be a hand-wash station and restroom outside the large tent - right now there will NOT be one outside the All-Stars or the Big Shell tents. I like to bring a five gallon bucket for these things anyway. Now all I have to do is find a place to wash my hands. ;-}

If you have incomplete items and you need to store them, take them to the magazine on Friday. If you are unsure or need help, stop by the tents and see me.

MFR is first come, first served. Stop by and see the safety person in the area you want to manufacture. You will have to sign the Policy statement and keep it posted at your area. Bring some tape for that purpose. We also have to turn a copy into Robin for insurance purposes.

To get to the manufacturing tent, take the first left when entering the gate and drive down to where the road stops... look left. The large shell manufacturing tent(s) will be around the corner and down on the left.

We cannot start manufacturing until Saturday morning. We will shut down Friday evening at dusk. Please remove all equipment by noon on Saturday - we will be tearing down the tent at noon.

All completed items must go to an approved magazine (not the day storage).

Flash cannot be mixed in the open - you must use the binary method.

MFR will be open in the evening if we have enough safety volunteers to keep an eye on everything. If we don't, then MFR will close for competition and shows.

What did I miss?

Wait... I know... We're supposed to have fun - so let's be sure to do that! I'm on pins and needles - my fun meter is pegging already!

Dan

Finally!!!

Hot Damn!! A real in your face answer. A whole month of questioning and finally, an answer! No worries Dan, I wont come and find you and give you a big hug when I get there but you had better be prepared for a good hardy handshake!

Im bringing a table but will be there Sunday morning, think I will still get in?

I've got all my paper stuff boxed up now. I just need to go through my chemicals and see if there are any I really have no reason to bring... and clean/pack up the ball mill and various tools. THEN throw some cloths in a back pack. Trying to slim down this year. I might leave sometime tomorrow, meet up with a friend, then make the rest of the trip Wednesday... or not, I really don't know yet.

Psyco, anything in particular I need to bring? I remember last year I brought all my screens and I don't think we ended up using any of them. As for drying racks I have some really thin weak aluminum expanded mesh screen and a few painting frames that I could staple it on to, but it being expanded mesh it might break with the weight of stars. I dunno. Could maybe use it for drying filler. Are we going to make our lift via pressing pucks and breaking them up when dry? Or just pass it damp through a screen? Are we going to avoid -325mesh coated flake Al and lampblack like the plague? IE should I leave them home? Or maybe just 1 or 2 lbs of the flake Al? Etc... Call me sometime tomorrow (tuesday), or email or something.

• 2 weeks later...

I really think last year was better overall.

Some things were great though. Lampare rockets, drX 1-10-100, etc...

There was a 24 inch shell???!!!

Just saw it here

It didn't break very symmetrically though...

There should have also been one from a guy in MPAG. Haven't talked to him yet to find out though.

The 24" this year was pretty lame. Either most of the stars burned-up before the shell opened, or they weren't big enough for the shell in the first place. The break was pitiful compared to what the Japanese can accomplish with the same size device.

...and last year's 24" shell-of-shells...crap. I think it would have been a better effect to have simply launched all of those 3" shells from a finale rack in normal "sky puke" fashion.

However, some of the 8" & 10" shells this year were breathtaking and Bill Paige's farfalle shells shot in the Aaron Mayfield AM Pyro show were goddamn *beautiful*.