APC Forum

Thermite mixture

artificier

• 3 weeks later...

My first try. I made 8g of Fe2O3(6g)/Al(2g) (using Indian Blackhead Al) thermite. I poured it into the metal lid of a Altoids can, then put a small amount of KNO3/sugar on top of it, with a piece of Mg ribbon going down through the KNO3/sugar mix and into the thermite. I then ignited the KNO3/sugar mix with visco fuse.

I know the Mg ribbon ignited because it got very bright all of a sudden a second or two after the KNO3/sugar started burring, a moment after that the "fire" became much larger with a lot of sparks, but it only lasted a second or two.

The Altoids lid is now black all over with rainbow patters in the metal as if it was over tempered, but I was expecting at lease a small hole to be burned in it. There was nothing left in the lid but black ash.

Did I just not use enough thermite, or did I do something else wrong?

This was a "test" in preparation for a demonstration I'm supposed to give on Thanksgiving. There I'm going to be burning a hole through an eighth inch steel plate. Starting with the thermite in a clay flowerpot, about how much thermite should I use?

Thanks in advance

WhiteFox77

well its possible the thermite didn't really light and just got charred Mg needs air to burn and it cant really burn through smoke mix or even ash left over from the smoke mix. also if your plate is 8" think which is ridiculously unimaginably insane you aren't gonna get through it thermite isn't really energetic it just melts through things for example it would take you several minutes to get through one ice cube with a blowtorch but only a second with a hammer.

Thats just a myth about thermite. It actually has very little "burning through" ability. The only concievable way would be to suspend the plate and hope that there was enough to melt the plate and let the mass of the molten iron fall through.

So I did the experiment. 300g Fe2O3/Al thermite in a 1/8" thick stainless steal bowl set on top of a couple bricks with a wide gap between the bricks. I set it off with the KNO3/Al/S mix and a 20 second fuse (I wanted to make sure I wouldn't even be close when it started burning). It was rather impressive flame and sparks, and left the steel bowl glowing red, along with the small pool of molten iron and glass under it. The bowl did get 3 burn through holes. Everyone was suitably impressed.

You need a thermal lance if you wanna cut through things. Ooo I think I just sparked the beginning of a thermal lance discusion. Wouldnt be the first time.

• 3 months later...
Does thermite leave any sulfur residue? I don't think it does and some people on youtube are (with the 9/11 bomb in the building thing) are saying it does.

Considering there's no sulfur whatsoever in Thermite, that would be a miracle, and I sure don't hear Golden Trumpets blowing....

Considering there's no sulfur whatsoever in Thermite, that would be a miracle, and I sure don't hear Golden Trumpets blowing.... 

Thats what I thought and they were all like "yeah the is you should do your research first." I was so mad.

They may not be saying it for the right reasons, but the statement still stands true.

Anyway, are you sure they wern't talking about Thermate? There is a big difference between thermite and thermate. Thermate does contain sulfur.

I'm not trying to feed the conspiracy theorists, but there are some Thermite formulations (Thermate, actually) that contain small % of sulfur. The ones that I'm aware of are Military formulations, dating back to WWII, I believe. They have both Sulfur and Barium Nitrate added as an oxidizer:

Therm-8

Iron oxide scale [Fe3O4] 61

Aluminium 22.8

Barium nitrate 15

Sulphur 0.90

Castor oil 0.30

Therm 8-2

Iron oxide scale 55.2

Aluminium 25

Barium nitrate 19.5

Sulphur 0.30

Therm 64-c

Iron oxide scale 44

Aluminium 25

Barium nitrate 29

Sulphur 2

I've made Therm-8 (Thermate, get it?). I first found the formula given as "M3" thermite, and was supposed to be the same stuff as in a Military Thermite Grenade...no idea if that's true or not, but the stuff is quite energetic! Video

Well they first said thermite then changed it to thermate. And they are also talking about how Al can oxidize and I was like hell no it can't.

^What? I might be missunderstanding what your saying but Al can and WILL oxidise. Unless you are refering to aluminum oxide being used as a oxidiser, then no I dont think it would work very well. It might but under extremely high heats.

You guys, especially mormanman, need to really be more specific. Are you talking about the ability to act as an oxidizer, or the ability to be oxidized? Yes it can be oxidised, no it can't act as an oxidizer for the most part.

As far as the thread on youtube being incorrect. It's like saying theres some wrong information in the anarchist cookbook. Yeah? well who fucking cares? It's youtube, the gathering place of every moron with a video camera. Not quite the most reliable source of information.

Ok, well I was talking about Al can't be oxidized. Thats what my metal shop teacher told me and I've never seen it. But will Al oxides in thermite or thermate?

And mumbles, I know I just get mad sometimes. I'll calm down now.

Ok, well I was talking about Al can't be oxidized. Thats what my metal shop teacher told me and I've never seen it.

Sorry if I'm a bit slow on the up-take here, but I think you and your shop teacher might be arguing different points, and might both be right. If your point is that Aluminum can be and is used as a fuel, combined with oxygen, then you're correct. The solid fuel booster rockets on the space shuttle are, I believe, comprised of ammonium perchlorate oxidizer and aluminum. If HIS point is that aluminum doesn't oxidize in a manner of iron, as it doesn't "rust" and continue to deteriorate, then he is right also. Aluminum oxidizes and forms a sort of skin that resists the further penetration of oxygen that would otherwise deteriorate the metal, so from his perspective he may be telling you that it doesn't oxidize, although chemically I believe you're actually correct. Chem. majors, correct me if I'm wrong.......

Damn, that was a run-on thought delivered in a fragmented paragraph. Mental note so self,..don't drink and post...don't drink and post.....(apologizes to the class...picks up his drink and staggers off to couch).

Drink and post...Drink and post. Chug! Chug! Chug!

http://3ec.us/creatingfun/imgs/albums/smileys/13_4_9_1.gif

It makes checking the board late night so much more interesting! Besides, hst...your post was extremely lucid, more so than many of our less sensible, yet strangely more sober members. Go figure.

Genius is pain, man...

• 4 weeks later...

Ive made some rough (homefiled aluminium) CuO thermite, and it is really potent. It burned through the 3 mm iron pipe i used as a holder(hoped to save a lump of Cu in the bottom) within 3 seconds after ignition (Mg ribbon).

It also seems much easier to ignite, if you use rough home-filed aluminium. Search youtube for "CuO thermite" and you'll see examples of atomized aluminum with CuO...Almost like flash...

• 2 weeks later...

Strangely enough my first experiment with pyro was with thermite made from chems bought off of unitednuclear and I'm still into it. I've made plenty of the aluminum/iron oxide mix but I don't use magnesium ribbon to ignite my mix, I just use some white falling leaf fuse.

I got the idea from people using sparklers because that's basically what the fuse is. I like it better than the ribbon because it's easier to ignite, wind proof, and it can be bent and poked through small holes without problems.

If you're worrying about the sparks igniting the mixture prematurely just splice it onto the end of a piece of visco and place the falling leaf into the thermite.

Anyone else ever used it on the coarser mixtures?

• 3 weeks later...
If you mean sparklers, then yes, ive tried it, but only at the rough Fe mixes and with no success. These are the non-magnesium types though, so i guess its not as hot-burning. Guess it could work on CuO since it much easier to ignite.