APC Forum

Thermite mixture

artificier

Ok um does anyone remember the magic trick flash stuff that was light sensetive and people like put it in a book and then someone opened the book and woosh.

I was wandering how to make it because it looks like fun?

Thanks

I think you're talking about nitrocellulose, it's cotton soaked in a solution of Nitric acid and Sulphuric acid, however I think it does not belong to the thermite section.

I was actually thinking it was the same thing. Flash paper that was activated by an electric mechanism when the book opened. Not actually when the light hit it.

I think you're talking about nitrocellulose, it's cotton soaked in a solution of Nitric acid and Sulphuric acid, however I think it does not belong to the thermite section.

I put it here because (I'm not sure but) I think thermite is a type of flash so I thought there was some sort of conection

They are indeed very similar, and in many cases are one and the same. However flash paper has nothing to do with flash powder.

• 2 weeks later...
nice thermite no idea who would waste perfectly good expensive german black head aluminum on some thermite when regular granular works fine. i plan to make thermite soon (until now i have had no reason to do it but im bored)

• 3 weeks later...

Today I thought I would give SiO2 thermite a go, so I went and got some 350mesh silica. Well it worked and I got some pure silicon out of it. The main problem I had was lighting it, after going on amazingrust.com that problem was fixed.

The next problem was the large amount of Al2S3 that was formed from the high sulphur content in the comp I used, the smell was pretty bad so I had to put a respirator on. It went mad when I put it down a sewer I.O.

Video: http://www.apcforum.net/files/SiO2Al.MOV

Silico: http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k300/ber0006/Si.jpg

Al2S3: http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k300/ber0006/Al2S3.jpg

I hope to try MnO2/Al soon too.

Has anyone ever tried Titanium dioxide + magnesium/aluminium

Should be hard to light, but in theory you would be rewarded with titanium :P

Without wanting to sound stupid, can I make thermite with random oxides, particularly Zirconium? I have some lying around and figured that thermite would be a fun way to get rid of them...

I also have Cobalt, Silver, Manganese and a few others, but have no idea about ratios or how to calculate them...

Dude, keep keep the silver for crying out loud. That shit costs a lot of money.

Cobalt and manganese, I heard of them, but I don't think it will be much.

Zirconium, I am not sure of this one. I should check the enthalpie, but I think this stuff is too much like Al and Mg. But by all means try.

I will help you getting started. I will do one, the rest is up to you.

We will take MnO2.

Reaction = 3 MnO2 + 4 Al -> 3 Mn + 2 Al2O3.

So this means that if you want to use 10 grams of aluminium powder:

Formula M (Mass) = N (mol) * MM (Molecular mass)

10 grams / molecular wheigt (26,982) = 0,37 mol of Al.

Since your reaction is 4 to 3 you only need three quarter mol of MnO2 then you need of Al.

So 0,2775 mol of MnO2. MM (( 54,938 + 2 * 15,9994 ) = 86,937 )

And so 0,2775 mol * MM ( 86,937 ) = 24,125 grams of MnO2

Get it? ^_^

Manganese and cobalt will work. The Mn/Al thermite burns very hot and pretty fast to. You do end up with a tiny bit of what seems to be little balls of Mn metal but there tiny, about 1-2mm in size

Going from what’s on amazingrust.com TiO2 burns very slow and just leaves you with black TiO. I don’t think you would be able to get any metals out of a reaction with reactive metal oxides as it would just burn. However I may be wrong so correct me if I am.

Hmm somehow I don't thrust that site, They state that Fe2O3 thermite is only 1/4 as powerfull as the Fe3O4 (Fe2O3 + FeO) Thermite.

I could be true, but I am not sure, will calculate this after my examens.

• 4 months later...
Ceramic supply stores are where I get all my Fe2O3 and all that. Look in the phone book for one locally. Otherwise I suggest clayartcenter.net

I found one less than 10 minutes from me! Now that I have iron oxide, what is the best formula for Mg/Fe203 and Mg/CuO thermite?

Why do you wanna make thermite? Make some CuO:Al thermite, use the ration 60:20. Careful not to light any large amounts (more than a gram) until you know what your working with. Oh and use a length of fuse not Mg ribbon. Listen and live.

Nope, you cannot get FeO2 locally. I think you will have trouble finding it online as well.

You might find FeO2 at the local hospital. iron dioxide is found in hemoglobin. "blood"

just being a smarty heheh

The FeO2 was a misstipe. And phyco, I didn't think fuse would get hot enugh to ignite thermite. The reason I'm making thermite is for chemistry. We have to right a ballanced chemical equasion then demonstrate it in class. (I got permission, but I don't think my teacher knows what thermite is.)

And phyco, I didn't think fuse would get hot enugh to ignite thermite.

He's right. Copper oxide/aluminum thermite can be easily ignited with visco if you use blackhead aluminum, and WILL throw slag around. Be careful.

If you want to get specific, the FeO2 found in blood is more of a peroxide as only one oxygen interacts with the Fe. It also doesn't actually form a true bond, rather just a donor-acceptor ligand interaction in the R state of hemoglobin.

I think the teacher will tend to frown on the burning of human blood in the name of science.

yep CuO/Al is like flash. Lampare coming up with some in it soon.