APC Forum

Thermite mixture

artificier

its possible to dehydrate by heating CuSO4 to get CuO for the CuO/Al thermite , and its possible to make a thermite with

CuO/Mg ??

It is possible to make thermite with CuO/Mg as I have tried it, it didn’t burn as well or a explosively as CuO/Al but it does work I think I just replace the Al with Mg in the 3:1 CuO/XX.

Be careful with your spelling rocket. This is the exact reason you need to work on your english and spelling. Do you mean CrO or CuO? This would cause a big difference. CrO doesn't exist, but other oxides of said metal do exist.

Also, you cannot dehydrate CuSO4 to get CuO.

o sorry :( I thought Cr2O3 I am sorry mumbles.

here is somethink about Cr2O3 thermite from wikipedia:

Chromium oxide can be made into elemental chromium metal through the thermite reaction, though this metal oxide is much less commonly used than Fe2O3 and Fe3O4. Unlike iron oxide thermites, chromium oxide thermite creates little or no sparks, smoke or sound, but it glows with a blinding light. Because of the very high melting point of chromium, chromium thermite casting is impractical.

but no formulari :(

PS(mumbles): Chromium(II) oxide (CrO) is an inorganic compound composed of chromium and oxygen.

IT EXIST!!!!

ok, lp, :P

I suppose a simple way of getting around the overly fast CuO/Al thermite being so fast is to simply use courser Al, though it'll mean it'll be much harder to light.- better stock up on Mg ribbon!

PS(mumbles): Chromium(II) oxide (CrO) is an inorganic compound composed of chromium and oxygen.

IT EXIST!!!!

Chromium (II) Oxide only exists in the spinel complex. IE Cr3O4 Chromium (II, III) Oxide. The only reference to it existing on it's own is on Wikipedia, not exactly the most reputable resource.

Do a little research before trying to argue with me next time, eh?

• 3 weeks later...
I suppose a simple way of getting around the overly fast CuO/Al thermite being so fast is to simply use courser Al, though it'll mean it'll be much harder to light.- better stock up on Mg ribbon!

Or you could use a metal/nonmetal oxide that is not as willing to give up its oxygen. Like Silicon dioxide, Titanium dioxide, or Zirconium Oxide.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an applied use of Fe2O3 / Al thermite: Thermite mines!

*Do this with all neccessary precautions....flinging white-hot molten iron into the air is not something to be done on your back porch or with anyone / anything you care about in the vicinity of the device*

I used a 3" dia x 6" long black steel pipe nipple and threaded an endcap on the bottom to make a mortar that could take the heat. You need to use fine material to keep the reaction very fast or you will transfer too much heat to the pipe and start melting things; I use -350 mesh bright aluminum flake and pottery grade iron and copper oxides.

The video linked below used (IIRC) 40g CuO / Al thermite in the bottom of the pipe and 130g of Fe2O3 / Al poured on top. 5g or so of Al/S was used as prime for standard visco. The prime / fuse was contained in a little pouch of aluminum foil and inserted into the Fe2O3 thermite mix. I tape the top over with several layers of wide masking tape to keep the fine mix from blowing / spilling or accidental ignition.

The idea is that the Fe2O3 thermite gets rolling and when the molten iron and aluminum oxide slag hits the CuO - Whoooomp!, up it goes.

Thermite mine

The daytime shot does not do it justice at all. If you've ever seen the Bessimer process where oxygen is blown through molten iron to purify it...you'll get the idea of what white-hot airborne iron looks like at night....it's almost blinding.

I set four mortars in a cluster about 120 ft. away from the rest of the display items and ran a Cat5E leader for four circuits to fire them last 4th of July.

Again...be smart if you do this - the ease of injury / and risk of fire from hot iron slag is very real.

• 2 months later...

Hey, hey! Where do you get aluminium powder?

I think try to someday to make aluminium for my own thermite for this ways:

-Crush little strips aluminium foil?

-Buy aluminium pigment to art shop?

Check ebay for atomised Aluminum. You can find plenty of it. You'll want about 200 mesh or finer. Aluminum pigment from the art shop will work as well. The Al foil thing is time consuming, and produces a relatively poor product if you can even get it fine enough.

I have heard that aluminum foil strips can works if ignition is good, but i don't think so. I wouldn't want to buy aluminum powder because then it can't be real homemade thermite, but sometimes buing is better way.

Actually, soda can's alumium is better than aluminum foil, if you want grind aluminum.

I have to invent something someday for this thing...

Here's an applied use of Fe2O3 / Al thermite: Thermite mines!

*Do this with all neccessary precautions....flinging white-hot molten iron into the air is not something to be done on your back porch or with anyone / anything you care about in the vicinity of the device*

I used a 3" dia x 6" long black steel pipe nipple and threaded an endcap on the bottom to make a mortar that could take the heat. You need to use fine material to keep the reaction very fast or you will transfer too much heat to the pipe and start melting things; I use -350 mesh bright aluminum flake and pottery grade iron and copper oxides.

The video linked below used (IIRC) 40g CuO / Al thermite in the bottom of the pipe and 130g of Fe2O3 / Al poured on top. 5g or so of Al/S was used as prime for standard visco. The prime / fuse was contained in a little pouch of aluminum foil and inserted into the Fe2O3 thermite mix. I tape the top over with several layers of wide masking tape to keep the fine mix from blowing / spilling or accidental ignition.

The idea is that the Fe2O3 thermite gets rolling and when the molten iron and aluminum oxide slag hits the CuO - Whoooomp!, up it goes.

Thermite mine

The daytime shot does not do it justice at all. If you've ever seen the Bessimer process where oxygen is blown through molten iron to purify it...you'll get the idea of what white-hot airborne iron looks like at night....it's almost blinding.

I set four mortars in a cluster about 120 ft. away from the rest of the display items and ran a Cat5E leader for four circuits to fire them last 4th of July.

Again...be smart if you do this - the ease of injury / and risk of fire from hot iron slag is very real.

That *does* look like it would be a very cool effect at night. If one were to add a bit of charcoal or coke to the Al/Fe2O3 thermite, I wonder if a carbon steel alloy could be produced which would also have branching sparks. :)

I've always wanted to do some thermite every since my dad went to a demonstration he works with armys weapons and stuff) he saw thermite melt through 4 inch steel plate! He also saw a challenger 2 tank destroy a cottage! Anyway we'll probally do Fe203 and Al some time.

The CuO/Al fountain looked rather beautiful!

I have been using ceramic grade CuO / -325mesh flake Al instead of flash for a while. I love the stuff. I havn't tried it with spherical Al yet. Or pressed/binded.

I've found that Ceramic Grade CuO / Bright Flake Al will report unconfined in ~50g qtys when initiated by a hot prime of Al/S. When confined (as in the fireball video I posted) it makes an excellent hot lift charge for 1L liquid fireballs in 30g qtys. I've never tried smaller amounts, but I'm sure using Dark Al will speed things up, if necessary.

I've not bothered to try with spherical / atomized when bright flake is $4.00/lb.

hi dudes

i dont want to imagine what would happen with 2 micron magnesiumpowder, if this is

mixed with CuO.

polumna

hi ddudes

thanks, and i cant try that because I can´t get on 2 micron magnesiumpowder,

I just make my mg- powder my self with a small ball mill.

so cause of this reason i won´t loose any fingers

• 3 weeks later...

you guys are sure that that mg/al 40/60 mix works

and is there one that uses zinc

I would also like to know because zinc is cheap. I found a 50/50 recipe of CuO and Zinc to make an explosive thermite.

I saw a post talking about SiO2 thermite, I tried SiO2/Mg (A.K.A. sand thermite) it produced blindning white light and a lot of hit.

I used chinchillas' sand because it's pure SiO2 and Mg.

If you're using high mesh sand this comp. will burn almost like a weak flash.

hi dudes

I have got another very good and cheap thermite-mixture:

Caso4/Al>>1,8g CAso4/1,0g Alpowder( not smaller then 600 mesh cause it will burn like flashpowder)

Or Caso4/Mg 1,3g CAso4/ 1,0g Magnesiumpowder

The magnesiumpowder shouldnt be finer since that will burn very fast.

If some sulfur is added it burns very fast and produce a orange-pinkish flash.

These compositions are great, because the materials are very easy to obtain and cheap too.

the second one is more a flashpowder(VERY powerfull, selfconfines at 20g) but u can also use it as agood thermite mixture'

Polumna

I dont understand ur formula polumna. Are you shure you got the capitals and lower cases right?