APC Forum

Black Powder Rockets

al93535

Just as a sidebar...how many pyro vids feature the "barking dog" soundtrack? LOL!
Mine feature gooses anytime something goes 'Boom' or 'Whoosh'.

Back on topic. I'm currently experimenting with rocket fuel in a 72/24/4 ratio, which should be the best comprimise between 70/30 and regular black powder. It does indeed have way more power than 70/30, and is way more tolerant for nozzle and core size than usual black powder. An 11 mm rocket with 5 mm venturi and 30 mm core goes up like crazy. It should be able to get 25 grams of payload at least 30 meters high.

I still need to find the best nozzle/core size for 3/4" ID rockets yet. An 8 mm venturi makes a nice cato at 3 meters high (always), while a 10 mm venturi doesn't have the power I'd expect. I'm looking hard to find a 9 mm drill bit, which I expect to give more power but no cato. Both designs featured a 8 cm core and a 20 mm thick nozzle (so 6 cm into the fuel itself), and were tested in five fold.

I'm looking hard to find a 9 mm drill bit, which I expect to give more power but no cato. Both designs featured a 8 cm core and a 20 mm thick nozzle (so 6 cm into the fuel itself), and were tested in five fold.

Do you drill out your cores? Sounds a bit risky, but to each his own. Regarding 9 mm drillbits, I have a ton of them laying around since I usually buy packs that range from 1 - 10 mm's, the smaller ones break but the larger ones only dull and just needs to be sharpened. Strange that you can't find them, if you want I could send you some, PM me if you need them.

I drill by hand, usually with a wood drill as these eat easier through the layer of rammed meal. It takes some practise, but I even get my cores perfectly straight and centered by now.

You are getting a PM :) .

• 3 months later...