APC Forum

Flash Safety - Bill Ofca on Flash

Frozentech

In any case, it would be great if I could just buy salutes, save myself the danger of making my own, allow a machine to make them instead, and use my time learning the much more challenging skills of color shells, double petals, different effects such as crackling stars, etc. Haven't thought too much about rockets yet. Is there anything I should know about "rocket types"? :P

Rocket types? What does that even mean? :huh:

Any way, machines are not used to make salutes, here is Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs working with Albert Knobloch to make a few pounds of flash...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7i0ekL21k8

Rocket types? What does that even mean? :huh:

Any way, machines are not used to make salutes, here is Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs working with Albert Knobloch to make a few pounds of flash...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7i0ekL21k8

Not my term, look above.

Yeah,

I know a guy that was from the old school and used to work making 5 lbs of flash at a time by screening. The factory he used to work at blew up too. Not from flash I guess, he said they were making a batch of "blue". Some type of blue star comp, no one knows for sure what happened. Theories range from the comp reacting to the employee setting it off when he took the knife to the patty or maybe a spark,etc.

Not sure if any of you recognize the train in my profile picture/avatar. I used to work there and I can tell you that Mike Rowe should have visited it before they phased out most of the coal burning steam locomotives. I'll take coal dust, soot, grease over human or animal shit any day but outside of that.... it's the dirtiest job I know of.

Edited by cogbarry

I'll shoot Nski an email and see if he still does that. I didn't see him adding flash last year, he was working on big stuff when I was walking around between rockets.

-dag

I'll shoot Nski an email and see if he still does that. I didn't see him adding flash last year, he was working on big stuff when I was walking around between rockets.

-dag

he still uses rice hulls and Ti grape nuts in salutes

Regarding flash sensitivity, i do not know if this has been posted here but: http://www.pyrobin.c...20bam%20etc.pdf

It is a report for EU back in 2003, overlooking fireworks used in the region. You can compare it to other compositions and see its sensitivity to both heat, impact and friction i think. It is very educational to, i have not read everything through yet myself.

Found it on passfire.

EDIT: And for my opinion on Salutes (if its worth anything), I just do bigger flash bags (i.e 4x30g for my 3" canister), put them symmetrical around my break, fill gaps with BP or hulls and add Ti flakes at top. Gently tap the casing to make the ti spread evenly.

The flash will not roll around freely, the shell gets filled and the Ti do not come in contact with the flash. Though if the Ti would spark i dont think it would help anyway, you could just use a non sensitive filler.

Edited by Kaputchi

• 2 weeks later...

I can't even start to explain how grateful I am that you posted this safety guideline! This thread has really humbled me big time.

This is coming from someone who used to play with gun powder and is pretty familiarized with what damages explosive can do to a human. I was really looking for items to make a flash powder for last couple days but I was told it is illegal to make it. So I look it up and came across this thread and spent a bit time reading it.

Normally I laugh when running from something I just lit and feeling/watching it exploding. But after reading about the damage flash powder is capable of, hair on back of my neck literally stand up and I was literally scared!

Thanks for posting this thread! I really appreciate it!

• 7 months later...

Speaking of pros, the safest method I've seen for making flash inserts commercially involved separate sized scoops for perchlorate and dark aluminum and filling the prepared paper casings with the separate components, then rolling the closed casings down little wooden ramps to mix the contents inside. After all this the inserts were built into the shells. They worked flawlessly and cut out the hazards of personally mixing and handling flash. I think the perchlorate was freshly milled which made it sort of fluffy and aided in the mixing stage. The old timers used to put a small compatible star in with the flash in the salutes to help with the mixing.

For what it's worth...

WSMcool2.gif

I had been wondering if this same principle would work in conjunction with a motor. Put the (2) powders into a cardboard casing with fuse and seal it (Leave a little empty space inside the tube so the powders have some room to move). Then attach them to a motor assembly that would slowly rotate/tumble them. The powders would be slowly mixed together inside of the complete assembly. Best part is, with an electric motor, you don't need to be there as they mix. You could set a timer or remotely activate it and come back when they are done.

• 5 weeks later...
after a salute is built and is good to go, how sensitive is it? Is static still a major concern once it has been mixed, put into a casing, and closed up?

after a salute is built and is good to go, how sensitive is it? Is static still a major concern once it has been mixed, put into a casing, and closed up?

I consider it a loaded gun with no safety. Once mixed, treat the shell as if it is chlorate based and don't drop it or shock it. That said, I have NEVER seen a detonation that was NOT on purpose from a salute shell. They handle the lift fine so there is some proof that they are not too sensitive.

-dag

I consider it a loaded gun with no safety. Once mixed, treat the shell as if it is chlorate based and don't drop it or shock it. That said, I have NEVER seen a detonation that was NOT on purpose from a salute shell. They handle the lift fine so there is some proof that they are not too sensitive.

-dag

so are there any precautions for static as far as handling a finished piece?

so are there any precautions for static as far as handling a finished piece?

Once it's all sealed up and there's no powder exposed, no.

Once it's all sealed up and there's no powder exposed, no.

Thank you for the reply. That's definitely interesting. I would have thought it would still be an issue if the powder moves around in the casing and builds up charge or something. Thanks for the help and fast response!

• 1 month later...

I don't know if something like Fe2O3 with fine magnesium would be considered flash, but it behaves like one. Would anyone consider it dangerous?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqQg4R8XRXY

I truly do not understand why this subject was brought in to the forum in regards to flash Safety. It is post on youtube (Uploaded by Dornier335A on Aug 15, 2011) under the heading of Fe/Mg thermite. But to answer your question - Yes if the thermite was not handel properly it would be dangerous. But I do doubt that this comp has the sensitive of flash. Please slow down a little and consider what you are doing. The best thing to do is to do alot of reading first, think it out and if it still does not make sense then ask, I am sure there will be someone more that willing to help you in this field of pyrotecnic study................... Pat

Cleanse thou hot young little soul from thy spirits of patronization. :rolleyes: I had to post here because i couldn't yet make a topic, so found the next best related thread, after doing a forum search. I am modestly experienced in pyrotechnics (about 4 years).

Cleanse thou hot young little soul from thy spirits of patronization. :rolleyes: I had to post here because i couldn't yet make a topic, so found the next best related thread, after doing a forum search. I am modestly experienced in pyrotechnics (about 4 years).

Glad to have you here. I hope that the information that is in this forum is much help to you. Not knowing your experience I would take a road that I hope would help you safely into the field of pyrotechnics.

But my soul is alittle older than young I am afraid.:huh: ........................Pat

Dude, why do you have a picture of the worlds trade center burning as your icon? Can you please change it?

-dag

Glad to post on here, too. All souls are young in context of time. :)

Dude, why do you have a picture of the worlds trade center burning as your icon? Can you please change it?

The picture is a merely of some hot incendiary pouring out of WTC. Get with the program, amigo.

Edited by MediumRare

-dag

That bothers me too! Come on...a picture of a firework, some abstract object, a girl with big knockers, whatever, but not the WTC burning. That has a profound impact for many people in this country who lived through that horrible day and its aftermath. Our country is forever changed in a negative way including hobbiest pyro as a direct result.

The picture is a merely of some hot incendiary pouring out of WTC. Get with the program, amigo.

your a weird one mate take that photo down its not right

No, it's a reminder of the pain my sister and her husband, not to mention the entire country went through on 9/11. Please take the picture down.

-dag

This is off topic, but I didn't start the nonsense about my avatar.

Well, I believe this is a reminder not to vote assholes in the office like Bush and Cheney who seemed to have gotten a second reelection from this event. Bunch of sheep on this forum. 9/11 was a Red Flag operation. Deal with it.

Also, the Heroic Flight 93 wasn't as "heroic" as Bush administration and the media spun it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5GgZa9V0A8

Edited by MediumRare

This is off topic, but I didn't start the nonsense about my avatar.

Well, I believe this is a reminder not to vote assholes in the office like Bush and Cheney who seemed to have gotten a second reelection from this event. Bunch of sheep on this forum. 9/11 was a Red Flag operation. Deal with it.

Also, the Heroic Flight 93 wasn't as "heroic" as Bush administration and the media spun it:

Yup, you are an ass, done with you, go away.

-dag