APC Forum

Hardware store chems

Guest Mark_the_pyro

I can't believe no one has posted this yet....

Chris Benton (AKA, I am a fish) has spent years putting together the most comprehensive list of OTC chems. ever! The list includes "legit" uses for OTC chems. and even supliers and retailers in some cases.

http://www.hyperdeath.co.uk/chemicals/

If you know of something which should be added to the list email him, his email addy can be found on his web site.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• WSM

• kwstag

• PoorBoy

Top Posters In This Topic

"CuCl2 can be bought at pool stores in 50 Lb bags for 15 dollars." -kwstag

I trust you meant CaCl2?

Last time i went to that hyperdeath site the list looked pretty bare...

I believe i have found OTC NaNO2, yes sodium nitrite, well actually quite a while ago when i was still primarily at totse, anyways i found it off of the house hold products database, which seems to not be working correctly now...

The product contains 99.7% NaNO2 when volatile products are disperced and was a wasp killer, however, it could have been entered wrong into the database, so no gaurantees.

I buy my NaNO2 from a photography supplier for which it has legitimate uses, but it can also be had OTC in the form of a food additive for meats and sea-food (along with KNO2). ;)

The Duke = Selah?

And yes bob!! Rofl CuCl2.. Im tired :( Yes I meant CaCl2.

Sodium nitrite was used before for conserving fish and meat, especially sausage and other things that don't go bad for a long time. At least in Norway, they do not use it manymore, because of the rumours that it converts other amines in the product to N-nitrosamines, which are a cancer risk.

I've found that the spectracide brand of stump remover is better than the green light brand. The green light is not near as fine, has little chunks of ? CuSO4 ?, and can be a little yellowish, where the spectracide is a fairly fine powder, has no blue chunks, and is white. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I've found that the spectracide brand of stump remover is better than the green light brand. The green light is not near as fine, has little chunks of ? CuSO4 ?, and can be a little yellowish, where the spectracide is a fairly fine powder, has no blue chunks, and is white. :)

grants is good, have you tried?

~Arete

I've actually never seen grants. I have just used the spectracide because it is now plentiful at walmart, and the green light was plentiful at lowe's.

NaNO2 is still used widely in America.. Shouldn't be to hard to get ahold of.

The_Duke isn't from america. Actually, now that I think of it, I got my NaNO2 from his country.

I think stump remover sales in Canada have ceased, I picked up the last 3 cans of it at my Local Hardware store nearly a year ago, and since then no new stock has arrived. I have tried every Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Home Hardware, etc within 500 miles, and nothing has turned up. I now buy from eBay.

Yeah, they stopped KNO3 in stump remover a while ago up here. 'Laters' was decent while it lasted.

• 1 month later...
Sorry if these have no help, just OTC cheap chems off the top of my head...

Someone mentioned getting 15g of KMnO4 at a Pharmacy.. Well I'm sure most people know that you can get it at Sears in a blue bottle for removing iron from water, or from hardware stores under "Iron Out". I'm not sure if they're the same but the Iron Out comes in 1, 2, 5, and 10 Lb containers, and it's pure. 5 Lb goes for $12-15 USD. Not bad actually.

Hmm there must be two Iron outs because the one at my local hardware stores only contains sodium metabisulfite and soidum hydrosulfite. I haven't seen any KMnO4 at sears but I haven't tried looking that much...

• 2 weeks later...

At the closest Sears to my home they sell KMnO4 in six pound quanities for $60.00!

I was going to buy some last time I was there. It was marked as $11.00 on the shelf but when it was scanned the price read as $60.00. Talk about a supprise! I just said forget it and walked away.

You should have complained and insisted you get it for $11. I think the local hardware store sells it in 5 or 6lb jugs for probably $25 or $30.

Last time I bought a jug of 5lbs it was 15$. Price obviously varies depending on where you live. Still, 60$ is mildly insane. Well, 12$ to the pound. Depends on what it means to you.

I did complain so they sent somebody back to do a price check. After standing around for about 15 minutes the guy came back and said it was $60.00. It was made by Kenmore, so maybe that had something to do with the outrageous price.... I don't know.

I don't really need KMnO4 at all. I was just wanting to do some experiments with it. I've looked at Ace Hardware for Rust X but the only kind they carry doesn't contain KMnO4.

It's nothing important really. I just like finding OTC sources for possibly useful chemicals.

• 1 month later...

Thats grand and all, but 50lbs still costs $50...

I have seen about $30 for 50lbs online, but thats without the hazmat shipping that will jack it up to around $50...

All you people on the east coast get all the good chem deals... not fair... :(

Edit: Checked the shipping cost for UPS ground for 50lbs of KNO3, it was $60.00... so thats $90 for 50lbs! Hahahahahahahaha thats so terrible!

• 2 months later...
Edit: Checked the shipping cost for UPS ground for 50lbs of KNO3, it was $60.00... so thats $90 for 50lbs! Hahahahahahahaha thats so terrible!

That is bad, what site is that from?

Na0H should be easily found in most HW stores. I think its normally 99% pure in most CS brands.

I've seen the same with acids/solvents. 5 bottles of one liter are standard shipping, but one bottle of five liters is HAZMAT fee extra. Strange but that's the law.

• 4 months later...

Well since this is about hardware store chems um I have some fertilizer that says it has some sulfur in it. So I mixed it with water and strained it and boiled it but when almost all the water was gone it started to smell like a chlorine (for a pool). Well anyway its brown and I don't know what it is so maybe some one can explain it to me or not thats fine just tell me to search the forum thats cool to.

Thanks