APC Forum

Hardware store chems

Guest Mark_the_pyro

Have anymore info, like say a brand name?

Vigoro Ultra Turf

St. Augustine

Weed and Feed

Then on the back (this is where I got the sulfur thing) Derived from sulfur-coated Urea.

This is all that I got but if you find this stuff and research it could you see (or not it doesn't matter) but would you see if I could use it for anything else besides fertlizer.

Thanks

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• WSM

• kwstag

• PoorBoy

Top Posters In This Topic

I think stump remover sales in Canada have ceased, I picked up the last 3 cans of it at my Local Hardware store nearly a year ago, and since then no new stock has arrived. I have tried every Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Home Hardware, etc within 500 miles, and nothing has turned up. I now buy from eBay.

I saw Grant's stump remover this spring in MB at a garden centre. I did not ask if they always stock it though.

I think stump remover sales in Canada have ceased, I picked up the last 3 cans of it at my Local Hardware store nearly a year ago, and since then no new stock has arrived. I have tried every Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Home Hardware, etc within 500 miles, and nothing has turned up. I now buy from eBay.

I saw Grant's stump remover this spring in MB at a garden centre. I did not ask if they always stock it though.

I saw some genuine stump remover at a big chain hardware store in winnipeg a couple months ago. Actually, they had dusting sulfur too. I'm tryin to think of what chain it was, and I'm drawing a blank. Not CA Tire, or HD. Though I did check at those places and don't remember having seen it. I think KNO3 is probably still going to be much cheaper at a hydro shop, or at a farmers' coop sort of place.

I have a local garden center that sells KNO3 stump remover and dusting sulfur. They would probably have KNO3 as a fertilizer for cheaper, but the lady that answered started getting suspicious when I just called to ask if they have dusting sulfur so I have my doubts that they would sell chems to a 14 year old. I'll just tell them I'm planting blueberries in an area that has been burned and I need to acidify the soil with sulfur.

I got my sulfur from an agricultural store... It's actually my dad's work, they sell 50 lb. bags of sulfur disk for acidity control or something...

I got like 5 lb. for free from an open bag...

I've saw some brand of stump remover at Home Depot's in Ohio, but I've never saw dusting sulfur so far...

Anyone want to point me where I can get 50 lb. of KNO3 on the east coast? Because as of now I'm paying $3 a pound shipped... so anything cheaper is good =)

I saw some genuine stump remover at a big chain hardware store in winnipeg a couple months ago. Actually, they had dusting sulfur too. I'm tryin to think of what chain it was, and I'm drawing a blank. Not CA Tire, or HD. Though I did check at those places and don't remember having seen it. I think KNO3 is probably still going to be much cheaper at a hydro shop, or at a farmers' coop sort of place.

Hmmm, tring to think of other hardware chains in Wpg...you from there?Rona maybe? Anyway, the stump remover I saw was from Lacoste Garden centre. IIRC it was about $10/lb.They also carry sulfur that has worked well for me. I've also used sulfur from hydro store that came as chips that need to be milled.

• 2 years later...
What about ammonium nitrate, i know some instant cold packs have it and i have read that its known as a 34-0-0 fertilizer. I have been searching and can't find a 34-0-0 fertilizer at home depot or lowes. I'm assuming its just that they took the numbers off of the label of ammonium nitrate fertilizers to keep me from finding them. does some one know of a current brand's model that is a 34-0-0. So far the closest I have found was a 34-0-5 i think. Is it a simple process to get that into a useable form of ammonium nitrate? I don't want to bother with the cold packs because I'll probably get strange looks buying 100 of them. 2ninja.gif

AN is getting harder and harder to come by. You will want to check the label of all fertilizers. Many are using Urea now instead of AN, with inert ingredients or other additives, to give the same overall values. The same goes with cold packs, check the ingredients.

Yea I read about the urea in fertilizer, I think those have a different value other than 34-0-0 from what i read. I think Urea fertilizer was something like 26-0-0 or 30-0-0. From what I read the cold packs are still available with AN but you have to make sure its not urea. I guess I'll have to find some cold packs then. I have an uncle that owns a landscaping company, so I'm gonna call him today and see if he knows anything about AN fertilizer. I have read bermuda grass loves it so if some one ever asks why you need pure AN fertilizer, Bermuda grass is a good explanation.

Well, pure urea is 46-0-0. 74% Urea and 26% calcium carbonate however also has the listing if 34-0-0 if you catch my drift. They're substituting appropriate amounts of urea into fertilizer to give the same NPK values without using AN.

Well, pure urea is 46-0-0. 74% Urea and 26% calcium carbonate however also has the listing if 34-0-0 if you catch my drift. They're substituting appropriate amounts of urea into fertilizer to give the same NPK values without using AN.

Does urea have any pyro uses?

Does urea have any pyro uses?

Maybe for making your own KNO3. I think I remember readinga formula (on Passfire?) that used urea, could be wrong though.

I see, I guess im just gonna have to stick a knife in a bag and bring a handful home for testing, I know if you mix ammonium nitrate and sodium hydroxide and water, the reaction produces large amounts af ammonium gas. Just wondering, say I find some 34-5-5 or something and I test it for ammonium nitrate and it tests positive. Since there is other crap in it, which I assume can't be removed by filtration, can th AN be purified by recrystalization? Or is it so much work that its cheaper to buy cold packs than to purify fertilizer with extra numbers?

Since i mentioned it and it isn't listed on here, sodium hydroxide is usually marketed in stores as dry drain cleaner. Look for crystal drain cleaner or something similar and look for the active ingredient.

Well just to add to this list of chems.

I found Ammonium Nitrate today in cold packs after a little searching. All the name brand instant cold packs seem to have switched from ammonium nitrate to urea and ammonium chloride. If you live in the southern US and have a CVS pharmacy close by, their CVS brand instant cold packs have AN. I would imagine walgeens probably has their own home brand and that probably uses nitrate as well. So in short look for the ugly boxed cheaper ones. For about $15 a got what feels to be between 2 and 3 lbs. It would be cheaper from a supplier I guess.

I also found 36% Hydrogen Peroxide. I found mine at a pinch-a-penny pool store. It was called Revatop 36. What you would ask for is Revacil Oxidizer or Baquacil Oxidizer. Both are the same thing just 2 different brands. Its a chlorine free pool shock. After discussing my imaginary swimming pool with the cashier, he gave me an idea for my next april fools day, "Do not to add chlorine to pool water after it has been treated with hydrogen peroxide because it will all turn black, and its next to impossible to get the black out." I assume this works backwards meaning H2O2 can be put into a chlorine pool and turn it black just the same. 1 gallon was about $32

poorboy you do know that many other compounds decompose liberating ammonia when mixed with a hydroxide (if im not mistaken even urea will )

Do you know how much water goes into a pool how much that costs and the environmental impact !!!

poorboy you do know that many other compounds decompose liberating ammonia when mixed with a hydroxide (if im not mistaken even urea will )

Do you know how much water goes into a pool how much that costs and the environmental impact !!!

Yes, I figured there may be other chems that would react to form ammonia gas. Did not know if urea would or not but i figured if it tests positive for nitrates in one test and emits ammonia gas in second test it would be ammonium nitrate. I would need to test for nitrates first otherwise it isn't AN.

I would check for nitrates by disolving fertilizer into a solution with water. Then I would add concentrated HCL, folowed by some copper. I would then chemicaly heat the mixture. If it emmits brown nitrogen dioxide it will have nitrates.

I could be wrong but if a fertilizer is designated XX-00-00 and passes both tests the main ingredient should be AN.

Edited by PoorBoy

There's a guy on Passfire that sells AN at a very good price. PM me if you need a contact. Buying cold packs gets really old, very quickly, due to the expense and hasle.

• 11 years later...

Newbie here. Especially to the chemistry side of this.. It somehow appeals to the old man nerd in me. I am glad I found this Board.

My question is probably pretty rudimentary to many of you, but not so much here. I am able to get Muriatic Acid in a "31.45% aqueous solution, 20(degree symbol)" What is the 20 degree indicative of? Also is this solution a viable substitute for the Hydrochloric acid at 35%?

Newbie here. Especially to the chemistry side of this.. It somehow appeals to the old man nerd in me. I am glad I found this Board.

My question is probably pretty rudimentary to many of you, but not so much here. I am able to get Muriatic Acid in a "31.45% aqueous solution, 20(degree symbol)" What is the 20 degree indicative of? Also is this solution a viable substitute for the Hydrochloric acid at 35%?

I believe that 31.45% HCl is about 10 Molar (or 10M) which is handy for chemical reaction math calculations.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

Remember that HCl is a gas! it's almost impossible to handle as a gas so mostly it's supplied as about a 30ish % solution in water. Also higher concentrations tend to give off HCl gas and are thus harmful and wasteful. 30 -32 % is as concentrated as available.

Remember that HCl is a gas! it's almost impossible to handle as a gas so mostly it's supplied as about a 30ish % solution in water. Also higher concentrations tend to give off HCl gas and are thus harmful and wasteful. 30 -32 % is as concentrated as available.

True, but reagent grade H3ClO (HCl solution) is about 37%. It's best kept in tightly sealed containers away from heat and light.

WSM B)

• 2 months later...

Yes. It won't be as pure as reagent grade (about 37%), but completely usable if you calculate for the difference between the concentrations of the solutions. Conveniently, the 31.45% HCl solution is about 10M (ten Molar) and will react with Molar amounts of other materials.

WSM B)