APC Forum

Feedback For The Future Of APC

TheSidewinder

The new forum looks good, and will look better once the colour is changed so it doesn't look exactly like UK pyro forum. The gallery is a nice feature. I'm not one for blogging, but I'm sure it will get used.

I'll see what I can do to get a couple more skins installed.

As in, today.

Most skins that work on "IP Board 2.x" wiill work with 2.3.5, but the new Blog is a complete re-write so they DON'T work for that module. But it's easily dealt with by locking the Blog module to the default skin. See my personal Blog entry for how you can do some simple customization of that default skin, though.

In some respects Blog is a whole new program, and Invision made a blunder in not releasing the design documentation at the time they released the new version. It has *just* been released, and designers need some time to adjust. But the "Custom Theme" capability will, in the long run, make it much more attractive to users.

Anyway..... keep the comments flowing!

3 new skins added. One of them is now the default skin, but you can certainly change it to suit you. Your choice is saved when you logout, as usual.

My turn to chime in (hey I think I'm learning this BB stuff)! I really appreciate what you Mod Masters do so you can count me in for the donation.

As for the skins and the blogs and what ever else comes into play "It don't matter to me one bit whatchya'll do!" Most people hate change just because it is something new. Like me for example, now I gotta learn how to blog! But it does keep my last brain cell active so I'm OK with it. It is for a reason and the reason we can't help as said earlier.

It seems like file management and space are 2 big reasons for me to say "COOL"!

My motto is "KISS" (Keep It Simple Stupid). So keep it simple so I can spend more time weighing and counting black powder grains.

Looks good, can we just do it now????!!!!!! :)

We'd like a few more comments before we start putting our hand out. ;)

Even comments that basically say "I don't give a shit, APC is APC and I'll still participate whatever software we run". :D

I know everyone has been enthusiastic so far, and that makes me feel the work that's been done up to now is already worth it.

I've added some RSS feeds to the test site. Technology articles from FOX and CNN, as well as product information from Invision Power Systems, publishers of the Forum software. I'd like comments on your feelings about those, too. If you think they suck, say so. If you like having such info available, say so.

And everyone reading this who hasn't participated? Please go register and at least take a look at the layout. If nothing more than to coma back and say thumbs up or down. All the accounts on that server will be deleted once the test period is done, so no worries about having anything left behind. Email addresses will be purged along with the rest of the info.

Thank you!

Well, I will chime in, and say "go for it!" I took a quick look, didn't register, on your sandbox , it looked good at a quick glance. I think it's important to stay up to date as possible with the IPB ( or any phpBB type package ) for security reasons if nothing else.

The gallery/file storage would just be icing on the cake !

Appreciate the input, though since I have Guest access turned off all you got to see was the Login Page. ;)

The skin I have set for the default is nice, though.

And mention of the Gallery/Downloads brings up a point I wanted to expand on.

Once it's up and going, I'd very strongly encourage people to use one or the other to store ALL files there: Videos, Pictures, Tutorials.... everything.

There are a number of advantages.

First: It's totally free and has no advertising or other bullshit that hosts like Imageshack force you to endure when all you want to do is look at a picture or video. There have been days when those free hosts are simply unavailable, and nothing cheeses me off more than seeing reference to a good video in a post, but then not being able to view it. If you can get to the Forum, you can get to the media in question.

Second: We'll have all submissions sorted into categories, unlike our File Uploader that's here now and which uses a single unsorted directory to store everything. And every submission can have additional info attached to it at the time of submission. As little or as much as the uploader wants to share about it.

Third: All submitted media can be browsed with a single click, from the Forum section, to go to the module you want to see: Gallery for pics and most videos, Downloads for all else.

Yes, it will take a bit of "learning" to use, but only a little bit.

And one feature of the Gallery which I personally think is very nice, is the use of "Lightbox" for any picture over 640 x 480. At the moment, there are only a couple pictures there that exceed that resolution, but that will change as more get added. If, when viewing a picture, you put the mouse over it and the pointer turns into a "click-hand", then click and you'll see what I mean. It makes for a nice view of the picture without the distraction from the surrounding skin, text, etc. Give it a try if you haven't already.

Keep the comments coming, folks! Thanks!

This isn't the first time we switched forums and I really like all the little extra stuff of the new forum. I think it would be a nice improvement to an already great thing. I dont like the default skin though you say you can change it i just didn't mess around long enough to figure out how yet. But overall its gonna be a lot better i think

3rd move. Functions seem to work. Could use better skins but you seem to be on top of that. Glad to see the ninja smiley is still with us.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to leave for work and running late. I'll address the question this evening or Mumbles will, if he gets to this first.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
OK, folks, the donate button link is up on a seperate post. We appreciate the interaction we've had with you all, and the feedback you've provided. Thank you!