APC Forum

Feedback For The Future Of APC

TheSidewinder

This thread is for User Feedback on the new version of IP Board that is referenced in the pinned topic at the top of this section.

All suggestions, comments, criticisms, etc are welcome!

We do want User input on this, since it will be a pretty big change in the "Look and Feel" of the Forum.

But it will still be the same old APC!

Thank you.

I followed the link you posted, I didnt log in or anything but it looks just the the set up that the uk pyro boards have. I would be happy to donate when and if you decide to update the forum.

Looks to be a great upgrade, I will be glad to donate.

Your comments are greatly appreciated, as are your commitments to donate. Thank you!

We really would like everyone to go ahead and register, if you don't mind (and have the time), to give the software a quick workout.

If we find anything that doesn't work right, or doesn't work the way the Users would prefer, we can take note of that and make sure that those items are addressed during the upgrade.

And we welcome constructive criticism, too. It's the only way we can improve things for you all.

Keep the comments flowing!

When I go to (below) I get this error:

http://forum.rainbowviper.info/index.php?showtopic=3

Content Encoding Error

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression.

* Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Also get the same error when I try to post.

If it must, it must. I'll be willing to contribute a bit of money.

Personally blogs on a forum just seem weird. Almost like a redundant random thread... So I'd be hesitant to use them...

I rather like the color scheme on APC now... The maroon/red/burnt red/burnt orange one. Though I realize that a raw install is just that and wouldn't likely have other color schemes, though getting APC updated would probably have a slightly different color sheme or schemes available.

Gallery and downloads should be good, though I would recommend putting some kind of rescriction on the downloads section so that new users don't upload inappropriate content... Case by case approval like the HE section perhaps... Same goes with images... though I wouldn't make it case by case... perhaps atleast 1 post prior to uploading images... If we could integrate a virus scanner or something to scan uploaded material... that would be wise. Might already be taken care of by the server though, dunno.

Whew.... let's see if I can answer all those points. :D

Wally: I just now viewed, and posted to, the referenced thread. Got no error. What browser and version are you using? (I'm using IE v7.) This is one of the EXACT reasons we'd like to test ahead of time. And I *THINK* I know where to look, if you continue to have that problem. The option to compress the delivered HTTP content is set to "ON" to save a bit of bandwidth.

Blue: There will be more skins available once everything is tested and shaken out. What you see is the default skin that comes with the software. I wanted to keep variables to a minimum during testing. The "Donator" tag will be small and unobtrusive. We'd just like to show our appreciation to the members who contribute. Once testing is done with, ALL user accounts on the test install will be deleted. Once I setup my "real" install, you have the option of joining that with a "permanent" account, if you wish.

Bob: As said, we understand that people will have different preferences. The various Modules can be used or ignored as you wish. (As you probably noticed, you're never "forced" to view Blog content, and I think that's the best way to do it.) Also, as I said to Blue, there will be a small selection of additional skins available once things are running smoothly. And we aren't going to let anyone just bomb away into the Downloads and Gallery. New users will have a VERY brief "probationary" period. A post or three, before access is granted, I think? We'll have fair notice about what users can and cannot upload, and will not hesitate to award "vacations" to offenders, same as here. The rules for IP Download and IP Gallery will be sensible. Virus-scan during upload is possible, but not native.

Wally: Appreciate the eagerness, honestly. :) We just want to get a fair number of opinions ahead of time, without any pressure whatsoever to pony up money. Donate link will be put up in a bit. It will be a dedicated Paypal Premier account that I have (and is currently unused) so that any donations to it can be well-tracked, and the money within it held in its "own" spot for ease of accounting. That's also why we requested a $5 minimum: Simply to keep paperwork and Paypal's fees reasonable.

OK, I think that's it. I've posted over at the test forum. Thanks to those who have commented, both there and here, so far.

Keep the comments coming! We want input so we can tailor the system to our user's needs.

Thanks!

Not that it really matters anymore, but if you want a blue board skin, there is one installed here. Not the standard IP board skin that everyone has. There is one called "BoHeGeHa Dark Blue(Import)3" or something very similar to that. If you ever see me post any screen shots, that is the one I use.

I have to go to work, but I'll be back later for more discussion.

Whoops, I should have added this to my post above.

The "Red" skin here cannot, unfortunately, come along with us. The specifications for skins have RADICALLY changed since v1.3.1 and no update is possible for any existing skin.

However, the sheer number of free skins available for the new version would choke a horse. I'm reviewing some of them as I have time. Haven't yet found one that looks like the Red one here, but I'll keep looking.

It shouldn't be too difficult to re-make this skin so it conforms to the new standards.

Ignore the error I had, just realized that I'm not using a standard browser. Using Firefox 3.0 (beta, improvements are great btw) ATM.

It shouldn't be too difficult to re-make this skin so it conforms to the new standards.

Ignore the error I had, just realized that I'm not using a standard browser. Using Firefox 3.0 (beta, improvements are great btw) ATM.

Adapting this skin would require more total work than writing an entirely new one from scratch. Trust me on this one, I've checked it out with those in the know. ;)

Now, we DO want ALL Browsers to work, but since you're running a Beta of FF at this point I'll just make note of the possible incompatibility.

If you have a version of FF released as "Stable", give that a try and see if the error continues. We have time to address such things before the switch.

Blue: It was ages before I realized I had any skin choice, either. ;)

The new version has a drop-box on quite a few pages that allow quick skin changes.

Edited by TheSidewinder

Its probably due to the fact that this boards software is rather old, for quite a while the default location to change skin has been in the bottom right hand corner not in your CP.

I'm surprised you didn't upgrade earlier as there are are cubic shitload of security holes in older versions of IPB even if you patch it as much as you can.

I'm using FF 3.0, and I don't get any error...

Could be my squid cache proxy server or a number of other things, I'll look into it tomorrow.

Not a big fan of Invision forums, the layout bothers me a bit but I can live with it, the gallery and downloads section is something that I am looking forward to.

So, you've got my full support.

Just need a dark blue skin *hint hint* :lol:

CTRL+mouse wheel scrolling up or down can quickly change font sizes in the browser... sometimes...

Well im all for keeping things up to date :) as someone said previously the forum will be similar to the UKPS Forum.

I'm certainly willing to donate towards the upgrade, whilst the forum is fine as it is, the upgrade can only mean bigger and better things for APC in the future :)

First off Thanks for a great site and would gladly donate to help keep things going. I dont get to post to much but lurk as much as possible because of family matters at the present. Hopefully in the next few months I can get back into the swing of things and share as much as I take. Keep up the good work!

I need a skin that looks like the Bohegeha one here on the new forum :D

I actually installed the bohegega one because I liked it personally. The default red one is a custom job by Chaz, so the likelyhood of finding the same one out there are slim.

I appreciate all the support guys. We've been debating between the forum alone, or the combo package. I personally don't feel the blog will get much use, but I do like the other two modules. It is kind of a package deal though.

In my post about the new software, I probably should have made it more clear that in order to get the 2 extra modules we think will be really wanted and needed, we have to buy all 4. But, that's just the way they package it. It's still a good discount, compared to buying them seperately. If I did my math right we still save a few dollars buying all 4 together, than we would if we bought just the 3 seperately without Blog. And who knows, Blog may prove to be more popular than we think.

I've noticed that a number of our "regulars" haven't commented, and I strongly encourage them to do so. We DO want your honest opinions. Also, a few people have registered at the test site but it doesn't look like they did anything more than take a very brief look. I also encourage those folks to give the software a good tryout and let us know what you think.

The "donate page" is finished and has been placed in the APC webspace, and a link to it will be posted soon.

Again, we greatly appreciate the support and encouragement of our users. The changes that APC will undergo are really only cosmetic, when it comes down to it, although there will be QUITE a few new features. The member's "User Controls" are one part that has REALLY been enhanced, and I honestly believe you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

But it will still be the same familiar place for us to gather, and exchange knowledge about our hobby with like-minded friends!