APC Forum

Cutting Fuse

Photon_Junkie

Two steel cutters passing each other, and shearing, may spark. It's not friction.

And cutting Black Match with scissors runs the same risk of ignition as does fuse. Always use an anvil-type cutter to be safe.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to suggest the dog toenail clippers, but it's already been discussed and yes it is a bad idea.

For very serious, high-volume work, it would be quite easy to set up a pneumatic rig. Pucture:

- Foot pedal actuates air valve

- Air pressure powers a small air cylinder / piston rig mounted on an aluminum or brass plate.

- Piston drives a bronze blade into a brass, bronze, or aluminum anvil.

You could get really fancy... the plate could be ruled, or you could simply epoxy a ruler on there; you could have a hemispherical guide to route the fuse into the cutting zone. Ground the whole contraption with a grounding cord plugged into the third (ground) socket of an outlet. The cut fuse would drop into a chute, and be collected in some sort of container. Genius! And a lot of work. But if I had to cut 1,000+ various fuses for a major show, I'd make something like that.

Here is what I use to cut fuse. I have had a pair of these for years. They have replaceable blades and the anvil is a hard plastic material. The anvil is also replaceable.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...ves+%26+Cutters

I was going to suggest the dog toenail clippers, but it's already been discussed and yes it is a bad idea.

For very serious, high-volume work, it would be quite easy to set up a pneumatic rig. Pucture:

- Foot pedal actuates air valve

- Air pressure powers a small air cylinder / piston rig mounted on an aluminum or brass plate.

- Piston drives a bronze blade into a brass, bronze, or aluminum anvil.

You could get really fancy... the plate could be ruled, or you could simply epoxy a ruler on there; you could have a hemispherical guide to route the fuse into the cutting zone. Ground the whole contraption with a grounding cord plugged into the third (ground) socket of an outlet. The cut fuse would drop into a chute, and be collected in some sort of container. Genius! And a lot of work. But if I had to cut 1,000+ various fuses for a major show, I'd make something like that.

• 1 month later...
IN australia work safe says that you shoudl cut it using garden seceters which have an anvil and blade design or with a sharp knife against a wooden surface