APC Forum

Cutting Fuse

Photon_Junkie

Folks,

I have search the forums here and haven't found any reference to proper cutting methods. However, on other websites people have made glancing references to proper methods for cutting fuse.

Its a mixture of comments about cutting safety fuse, cutting black/quick match, and even comments about cutting flying fish fuse.

My question is: Is there a proper method for cutting fuse? Are scissors or razor blade bad?

Mods: I put this in safety, please move if inappropriate.

Use a blade-and-anvil type, not scissors, for QM, FF, and Timefuse.

You want a very sharp cutting blade that bottoms onto a non-sparking anvil, such as Brass. Craftsman makes a good one. It's actually a high-end garden pruning tool, but is perfect for fuse. I have one. Note that it's not the type that has 2 blades passing each other to make the cut.

Personally, I would NEVER cut FF or QM with a scissors cutter of any type. The explosion at the McNider Campgound for the 2005(?) PGI in Mason City was caused by someone using scissors to cut FF fuse. As with most accidents of this type, it was 2 factors: The above use of scissors, coupled with the (very stupid!) mistake of having flash in an open container inside his camper. FF fuse ignited as he cut, and it zoomed right into said container. The resulting explosion destroyed his camper. I have some pics of the aftermath. Very sobering.

That guy will be paying for his mistake for a VERY long time. He's lucky he didn't kill anyone. I was camped about 100 feet away, but wasn't there when it happened.

• Like 1

Use a blade-and-anvil type, not scissors, for QM, FF, and Timefuse.

You want a very sharp cutting blade that bottoms onto a non-sparking anvil, such as Brass. Craftsman makes a good one. It's actually a high-end garden pruning tool, but is perfect for fuse. I have one. Note that it's not the type that has 2 blades passing each other to make the cut.

Personally, I would NEVER cut FF or QM with a scissors cutter of any type. The explosion at the McNider Campgound for the 2005(?) PGI in Mason City was caused by someone using scissors to cut FF fuse. As with most accidents of this type, it was 2 factors: The above use of scissors, coupled with the (very stupid!) mistake of having flash in an open container inside his camper. FF fuse ignited as he cut, and it zoomed right into said container. The resulting explosion destroyed his camper. I have some pics of the aftermath. Very sobering.

That guy will be paying for his mistake for a VERY long time. He's lucky he didn't kill anyone. I was camped about 100 feet away, but wasn't there when it happened.

good post right there...

the only thing i could possibly add is to try to find a set of anvills that use standard razor blades for the cutting edge, and a brass plate for the "anvil".

this way you can always keep a fresh cutting surface.

whiel you're at it pick up a folding knife that uses the same sized blades and you are all set.

a box of 100 razors is fairly cheap so you have an endless supply of fresh blade cuts at your disposal.

you'll probably use the anvils more than anything, but having a folder knife is always good for opening boxes or scoring straight edge lines in things (like when cross matching time fuse on shells).

these two tools are always in my ammo box when i'm inthe field or at my work bench.

NEVER use scisors i learned that the hard way cutting a few 2 foot lengths of crackling fuse. luckily i was outside, and just making a quick effect stick (taping a bunch of 6 inch lengths of effects fuse to a long stick)...had it been near anything pyro it could have been real bad.

as i said i did attempt to cut quite a few pieces at once so i was applying much more force than usuall but as soon as the scissors went i had a bunch of lit fuse in my hands.

frankly i'm not sure how i didn't get burnt worse than i did. just barely got me in the hand i was holding the fuse...but it still sucked. certianly enough to make me an instant convert to anvils and straight blades.

Good additional info, especially the option of using razor blades, You have very precise control of timing that way. The one I mentioned has a removable blade. You can sharpen it or replace it as you wish. As long as you know how to sharpen it, and have the setup to do it correctly, you will NEVER need to replace it. (I use a flat whetstone and a universal jig to sharpen a lot of things. Works well.)

After 3 years of use, including some actual gardening, the cutter is still VERY sharp. Haven't had to do a thing with it yet. The "anvil", set in the lower "jaw", is Nituff coated Brass or similar and still pristine.

To the OP: You can't go wrong with either of the above routes. It just depends on your personal needs and budget.

Awesome info! Thank you very much.

After 3 years of use, including some actual gardening, the cutter is still VERY sharp. Haven't had to do a thing with it yet. The "anvil", set in the lower "jaw", is Nituff coated Brass or similar and still pristine.

Allright... anyone got a link to this? I have been using an Exacto blade mostly, but have used sissors. No more... but what's this "anvil" thingie??

On the subject of cuting fuse precisely, Tom Rebenklau (I think) designed an interesting tool for cutting 1/4'' time fuse, a picture is here

Wolter pyro tools also sells them here

Allright... anyone got a link to this? I have been using an Exacto blade mostly, but have used sissors. No more... but what's this "anvil" thingie??

Sears "Handi-Cut" is a good one. I can't find a link to the exact model I use, but it's made by Fiskars.

Yep, that picture is very close to what I have. The one I have was actually being sold in the Gardening department, and is less "heavy-duty" than the pictured Handi-Cut. For my use, I didn't need the more expensive one. As I said, it's still VERY sharp and works perfectly. I get a very clean cut, that leaves no "fuzz" on the edges of the fuse.

Jacob, there is only a SINGLE cutting blade on both of those. That's the idea: You don't want to have TWO blades, crossing one another like a scissors, which could potentially generate a spark at JUST the wrong time. The blade doesn't actually touch the jig which is holding the timefuse, so no possibility of sparks as the blade passes through the fuse. Take a closer look at the Handi-Cut, as well. The blade bottoms on the anvil in a "pinch-cutting" manner, rather than a "shear-cutting" manner like scissors.

Richtee, the "anvil" is simply the flat bar that the blade bottoms against as it cuts.

Having a pear of the anvil cutters is quite ideal and convenient. The same can be done with a straight edge razor and a block of wood though. A good sharp blade will cut very easily through all types of fuse. Some may feel more comfortable with their hands a few inches away though with the cutters. You also get more leverage and such. Using a razor gets to be rather tiring on the fingers if cutting large amounts of fuse, or using a slightly dull blade.

Thanks guys. I know of those types of cutters as "tubing cutters". I shall invest in one. Cheap enough and safer? No-brainer.

Oh sorry my mistake, I assumed the blade rubbed against the block with the fuse hole to shear it, like scissors with only one blade.

Lately I've been useing either a razor and block, or a pair of wire side cutter type things that have two blades that mash together, like tiny bolt-cutters, I should probably invest in a pair of anvil cutters, sounds like that's the best way to go.

Lately I've been useing either a razor and block, or a pair of wire side cutter type things that have two blades that mash together, like tiny bolt-cutters, I should probably invest in a pair of anvil cutters, sounds like that's the best way to go.

That's what I was thinking - a plain pair of wire cutters has pretty much the same action as the garden pruners. Wouldn't a set of wire cutters be safe? It would seem that the scissoring action, with two blades rubbing against each other, would be the one to avoid.

i would imagine "bolt cutter" type tools are probably safe...but i wouldn't use them.

just as a cheap pair of scissors can wander when they get old or you apply too much pressure...i'd assume if the two blades of the "bolt cutter" were to slip to either side it may spark.

so i guess i can't say i'd give thoes type of cutters a 5 star recomendation...but the chance of a problem is far less than scissors.

TBH i'd feel a hell of a lot more comfortable/safe with a pair of anvils...it's bottoming out on a 90 degree surface, rather than bottoming out blade to blade.

I have never been afraid while cutting fuse I usually just cut visco with scissors no problems. The only time I don't use scissors is for cutting time fuse when cutting time fuse I use a razor but that has nothing to do with safety.

I have never been afraid while cutting fuse I usually just cut visco with scissors no problems. The only time I don't use scissors is for cutting time fuse when cutting time fuse I use a razor but that has nothing to do with safety.

you shouldn't be affraid, as it's not a very common problem, but it is an unnecessary risk.

i'm sure you know a hell of a lot more about building shells than i do, so don't take any of this the wrong way, but you should probably pick up some anvil snips.

they're quite handy and they eliminate the risk of a freak accident...especially when using effects fuse like crackle, fish, or strobe. they also give you much cleaner cuts than scissors do, especially handy when trying to angle cut visco. i find i can snip sharp angles without mashing the ends and spilling the powder quite easily.

as i said above i always used scissors when i first started out...till i lit a bunch of crackling fuse i was cutting.

there's two ways to learn something is dangerous, touching the stove, or watching someone get burnt.

i'm telling you...the stove is hot.

again not trying to be elitist or anything just trying to prevent good people from getting hurt doing something they love. if i hadn't had that piece of fuse light via scissors i never would have thought it possible. so i try to let everyone know that not only can it happen, but that it actually happened to me.

there's two ways to learn something is dangerous, touching the stove, or watching someone get burnt.

i'm telling you...the stove is hot.

again not trying to be elitist or anything just trying to prevent good people from getting hurt doing something they love. if i hadn't had that piece of fuse light via scissors i never would have thought it possible. so i try to let everyone know that not only can it happen, but that it actually happened to me.

Hear HEAR!

As I said before, accidents are usually the result of MORE than a single mistake. And the incident I mentioned, at the 2005 PGI, is no exception. But the pictures below describe better than mere words what happens when (in this case) two mistakes converge. The more serious mistake was having an open container of flash, inside this camper.

But almost as serious, was the fact he was cutting fuse with scissors:

http://www.apcforum.net/files/carelessness1.jpg

Note the bottle of LP. Had that gone up with the camper, I shudder to think what the carnage would have been.

http://www.apcforum.net/files/carelessness2.jpg

Just "beyond" the picnic table, on the diagonal panel of what used to be the camper, is blood from the man who was inside the camper when it blew up.

http://www.apcforum.net/files/carelessness3.jpg

This is the roof of the camper, retrieved from the top of a motor home ONE HUNDRED FEET AWAY.

Need I say more?

TS

Folks,

I have search the forums here and haven't found any reference to proper cutting methods. However, on other websites people have made glancing references to proper methods for cutting fuse.

Its a mixture of comments about cutting safety fuse, cutting black/quick match, and even comments about cutting flying fish fuse.

My question is: Is there a proper method for cutting fuse? Are scissors or razor blade bad?

Mods: I put this in safety, please move if inappropriate.

For cutting visco fuse, and 1/4" time fuse, I started out using a single edge razor blade and a plexiglass base. Then I still found it difficult to cut measured pieces of fuse exact and in quanity. There had to be a better way......so what I found was a doggie type toe nail cutter. The all metal one not particial plastic one which wont last. Anyway the cutter has a sharp oblong closed end and the cutter blade is semicircled with a sharpened angled edge. So take a measured piece of fuse and cut its length that your needing and from your roll of fuse, slide one end thru the cutter hole and put the cut piece of fuse next to it and hold the ends together. Slipe the cutter uo to the cut piece of fuse which will stop end cut the fuse from your supply roll holdind the rest of the fuse with your finger...and keep doing that till you get the number of fuse you want. I like this because it cuts the fuse pretty much all the way around sort of crimping the end together not spilling any powder from the end. However if you need an angle cut at one end you will have to do that with the razor blade and i just take the little pieces and put them in the shell along with the stars. I've probably cut more than 20,000 ft of fuse using the dog cutters and yes you can take it apart to sharpen the blade with real fine sand paper and lube the sliding blade with a dab of oil. Rocket Boy

There had to be a better way......so what I found was a doggie type toe nail cutter. The all metal one not particial plastic one which wont last. Anyway the cutter has a sharp oblong closed end and the cutter blade is semicircled with a sharpened angled edge.

The only problem is... once again, a bypass cutting action. It will only kill you the last time you do it, if you get my drift.

rocket boy,

TWO cutting surfaces, passing by one another, is the problem.

And Dog nail clippers are like any other shear-cutter. The fact that you haven't yet had an ignition using them, doesn't lessen the risk that it will happen. As frozen said, it won't kill you.... until it does.

And for everyone reading this, let's remember that the plural of "Anecdote" is most certainly NOT... "Data".

The man in that camper had been using scissors for years, as well.

His first cutter-induced ignition was damn near his last one.

• 4 months later...
What about regular toe nail clippers? theres no sliding blades on those. I dont know what dog nail clippers look like.

That's certainly a better alternative than a shear-cutter, but it's still not a proper blade-anvil cutter. Go buy a small Sears pruner (get the Craftmen label), the kind with a single blade that bottoms onto an anvil bar. They're cheap insurance, and I think run less than $15 for the smallest one, which would be the perfect size for cutting match.

Please be sure to buy one that has a BRONZE or BRASS anvil, two pieces of steel impacting on each other is a very bad idea - in the same vein as a shearing type of cutter.

• 2 months later...
Can someone explain why the fuse ignites from cutting it with scissors ? Sparks or friction ? I always cut visco with a blade, though it's not easy. But I cut black match with scissors. Are scissors safe for black match, or no ?