APC Forum

Perchlorate - Benzoate mixtures?

Swede

I wasn't sure where to post this one...

I have a bag of copper benz kicking around, but no ammonium perc to make stars, does anyone know any star or coloured driver mixes amybe that I can use this on?

Tenacles had one that used KPerc for making blue stars. I can't remember if it worked well though.

That's where I got the copper benz from...damn Tentacles, gives me a bag of copper benz and a couple spoonfuls of ammonium perc. :wacko:

That's where I got the copper benz from...damn Tentacles, gives me a bag of copper benz and a couple spoonfuls of ammonium perc. :wacko:

LOL..I think he's running low and/or out of AP as well.

I understand you can make whistle motors that drive dogs insane with Cu Benz. I did try K perc with Cu Benz one time, but I mixed it 70/30 which is most certainly not the right proportions, it burned well but was too white. Probably more fuel, or less fuel, or add a chlorine donor. It's something I plan on playing with this winter.

M'not out of AP, but I don't have a whole lot, either. We should look into getting some if you're still interested, Frank.

Edited by tentacles

It's common when making rockets to granulate it with about 3% vaseline or beeswax dissolved in a solvent like coleman's camping fuel.

I don't really have any of those. Could I use water?

None of those things are really exotic items. The nearest walmart will be able to set you up. And no, water will probably not work quite as well. The purpose of the vaseline or beeswax is to moisture proof the composition and provide a bit of binding strength. I've heard of it being bound with red gum and alcohol, as well as NC lacquer. You will see a theme that they all moisture proof the comp, and don't use water for a very good reason.

None of those things are really exotic items. The nearest walmart will be able to set you up. And no, water will probably not work quite as well. The purpose of the vaseline or beeswax is to moisture proof the composition and provide a bit of binding strength. I've heard of it being bound with red gum and alcohol, as well as NC lacquer. You will see a theme that they all moisture proof the comp, and don't use water for a very good reason.

But it just sounds like it takes alot more work than just adding water. I have some NC lacquer. That is the one with ping pong balls + acetone right?

Soo... I bound with NC and granulated thru a 20 screen. Wow. And BTW what in hell makes it whistle? I did 2g in a Dixie cup open...Whoooot! I know if I'd have folded the top over... but what a wild sound... the harmonics/pipe length ain't right... Hmmm??

Rich, you've really gotta get a passfire account.. there was just the other day a discussion of what causes the whistling. Basically the burn oscillates. The available fuel burns, there's a slight pause as new fuel is exposed by the removal of the burnt fuel, new burn pulse... at high frequency, thus, sound...

It won't whistle very well unless you bind it in a solid grain, preferably by pressing it into an open ended tube.

Rich, you've really gotta get a passfire account.. there was just the other day a discussion of what causes the whistling. Basically the burn oscillates. The available fuel burns, there's a slight pause as new fuel is exposed by the removal of the burnt fuel, new burn pulse... at high frequency, thus, sound...

It won't whistle very well unless you bind it in a solid grain, preferably by pressing it into an open ended tube.

Well, I'll be damned! How cool! Yes, I suppose I should get an account. Have just shelled out a ton of money on property taxes and my van repairs tho.. maybe for my Christmas gift to me :{)

Thank you for the information!

Mumbels, I think the guy isn't ready yet to make some whistle mix.

I am ready to make whistle mix.

Thanks for the help Mumbles, I'll try it now :).