APC Forum

making potassium (per) chlorate

gods knight

I did that. But it's a freaking pain to remember where something was mentioned, when you try and wrap your head around it. A more "user friendly" format wouldn't be bad. Dropping something like that in the "blogs" section wouldn't suck.

But i'm sure there is a way to obtain the BGI bulletin's as well. Might want to refrain from publishing it elsewhere until those that would get the PGI stuff have had a go at getting it that route, just as a support gesture for the PGI.

B!

Joining the PGI is a great way to expand your pyrotechnic horizons, and find yourself associated with like-minded people.

I looked at starting a blog before work, this morning, but ran into formatting issues. I'll have to try it later when I don't have time constraints.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

Okay, I've given it a try. I started a blog, ...my first. The thing I haven't figured out yet is how to insert photos the way Swede does. Maybe my old dog of a laptop doesn't have the right program or drivers to allow me to do so, or I just haven't figured it out yet. Any suggestions?!

This blog entry is the first article published in the PGI Bulletin on homegrown oxidizers (published in the October/November 2013 Issue). It's primarily introductory and later parts get into a lot more detail. I'll add the later parts as time and my experience allow.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

What?!? No pics! I hate you...

Kidding, of course. Thanks for sharing.

On the topic of those pics tho, it should simply be a matter of putting them into the pages, and judging from the format of the other blogs, it's done the same way you do it here on the forum. Not that i can confirm that, i don't have a blog, and don't want to create more clutter in the DB's for the admins to deal with, just to create a test platform. Anyway, if you cant figure it out, shoot Sidewinder a line, see if he got any ideas.

B!

What?!? No pics! I hate you...

Kidding, of course. Thanks for sharing.

On the topic of those pics tho, it should simply be a matter of putting them into the pages, and judging from the format of the other blogs, it's done the same way you do it here on the forum. Not that i can confirm that, i don't have a blog, and don't want to create more clutter in the DB's for the admins to deal with, just to create a test platform. Anyway, if you cant figure it out, shoot Sidewinder a line, see if he got any ideas.

B!

3 Liter Cell Still 9-07.pdf

This is the photo (did it post properly?!)

WSM B)

Edit: Dang! I need to figure this out. Maybe it's the file I'm trying to use (it's a low resolution still taken from a quicktime video clip).

Edited by WSM

attachicon.gif3 Liter Cell Still 9-07.pdf

This is the photo (did it post properly?!)

I belive the problem is, that your not trying to attach a image. That thing up there is a PDF.

Images, generaly jpg, gif or png, can / should be displayed using the img tag. But first you need to "host" the images somewhere, and while "attach this file" should work, it adds the file as a link as well. Try using the gallery, and hotlink the images from there. (Just right-click the image, and copy the address to it, then paste it between image tags.)

B!

I belive the problem is, that your not trying to attach a image. That thing up there is a PDF.

Images, generaly jpg, gif or png, can / should be displayed using the img tag. But first you need to "host" the images somewhere, and while "attach this file" should work, it adds the file as a link as well. Try using the gallery, and hotlink the images from there. (Just right-click the image, and copy the address to it, then paste it between image tags.)

B!

Okay, I'm getting closer. I converted the image to a .jpg file, but it's so low resolution that it's tiny. The big problem is the image is a captured still from a three second video file I took in September 2007.

If all else fails, I suppose I can try to do it the way MrB describes. Having never done that proceedure, I'm stumbling around in the dark here (plus having been up since 03:30 doesn't help, now that it's 19:00!!!). Thanks, MrB. I appreciate the suggestions.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

WSM, the pic enlarges when clicked on. It does show as a thumbnail within the article.

I'll try to screw around with the blog stuff in the coming days and see if I can help. I've never made one either, so I'm starting from square one just like you guys. Eh, I have the advantage I can probably look into the inner workings details of Swede's posts to figure out the details.

I'm sure TheSidewinder would be able to cover this in about 5 min, but he's been busy handling a variety of things in real life as of late.

WSM, the pic enlarges when clicked on. It does show as a thumbnail within the article.

Thanks, Bobosan. At least I've come that far. Now, if I can learn to post it as a fully viewable image in the text, it'll look more like it does in hard copy in the Bulletin.

WSM B)

I'll try to screw around with the blog stuff in the coming days and see if I can help. I've never made one either, so I'm starting from square one just like you guys. Eh, I have the advantage I can probably look into the inner workings details of Swede's posts to figure out the details.

I'm sure TheSidewinder would be able to cover this in about 5 min, but he's been busy handling a variety of things in real life as of late.

Wow, I can so relate. Thanks for giving this a look, Mumbles. Later articles have a lot more photos, tables, et cetera; and I'd like to have an easier time formating the blogs before I continue the series and add unpublished material.

Swede has left some huge shoes, which I don't believe I can fill, but I'd like to make my own place here and leave something useful behind.

WSM B)

I didn't save anything, but it looks to be about the same entry form as a post.

I noticed one thing. All of Swede's images are hosted on his own website. At some point it would be prudent to save all the images should it ever go down, that we still have access to his work.

Anyway, to post an image it seems pretty simple. There is a wizard of sorts above. You click on the icon that looks like a photograph, and insert the url of the image file. This will work for all image files no matter where they're hosted. If you uploaded to a gallery here, I believe you can click on the "my media" button and just select from there. The code for included images is below if you don't feel like using the thing above, or so it's easier to type out in a word processor. Based on some unneccesary HTML codes in Swede's posts, it looks like that is what he did to create the entries.

[img=URL here]

I didn't save anything, but it looks to be about the same entry form as a post.

I noticed one thing. All of Swede's images are hosted on his own website. At some point it would be prudent to save all the images should it ever go down, that we still have access to his work.

Anyway, to post an image it seems pretty simple. There is a wizard of sorts above. You click on the icon that looks like a photograph, and insert the url of the image file. This will work for all image files no matter where they're hosted. If you uploaded to a gallery here, I believe you can click on the "my media" button and just select from there. The code for included images is below if you don't feel like using the thing above, or so it's easier to type out in a word processor. Based on some unneccesary HTML codes in Swede's posts, it looks like that is what he did to create the entries.

[img=URL here]

I think the BBcode default is:

[img][/img]

"Sticking" to the default should make certain it works if the forum ever changes software. But currently i think both will work.

B!

Thank you all for the suggestions.

With Mumbles' kind guidance, it's all coming together. Hopefully, Part Two will go smoother. There are seven parts, so far, and I don't want to lose my mind trying to post them as blogs.

WSM B)

I don't want to lose my mind trying to post them as blogs.

Please don't lose your mind. I still want the results from the future LD anode experiments.

Ok, i'll admit, you seem like a good guy to, and i would hate if a good guy went nuts over something like a few blogposts.

B!

Okay, I've got part two in the blogs. See if it looks okay and what you think. Thanks for looking.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

It looks good. Thank you.

B!

You're welcome.

It appears this blogging business is a work in progress. It's slow going for me, but I'm learning. Thanks to everyone for your help.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

hiiiii

i was wondering, as i bought a lead dioxide anode in my big order from a chlorate MMO supplier,

What would you pay, for a purpose built perchlorate; commercial lead dioxide anode, 10x10cmx0.7-1.0cm, premade with a strap? In the context of a consumer survey.

i have no idea what they are worth since nobody seems to actually sell them properly, but i might, since they seem pretty darn cheap, albeit still more expensive than raw MMO mesh, but still.

Also out of curiosity, what would you expect the lifetime of one such anode to be, given this is a company that apparently takes pride in making quality products. everything i find on them seems to be half and half design flaws of homemade ones and incomprehendable science talk i cant find much relevance it.

Edited by matchstick

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wrestling with my next blog entry, Homegrown Oxidizers Part three. It's up, but needs plenty of refinement before it looks anything like the PGI article (which is my final goal, here).

Happy Thanksgiving to all the US readers.

WSM B)

None of the images can be enlarged, and they are quite tiny at this point. I'm sure this is part of your planned refinement.

If i may be so brazen, i would suggest something. Switch all 3 parts to a slightly larger font, to make them easier on the eyes. It might have a lot to do with screen realestate, but i go CTRL+"+" to enlage the font at this point. (If it's a hassle to change it, screw it, it's easy enough to "zoom" on your own.)

Those constant voltage supply's look a lot like the constant current PSU people use for powering LED lighting arrays, so people need to double check what they are buying, but from what i've seen they are easy to get a hold of on eBay and the likes, and quite cheap. Not sure about efficiency, i'm guessing 90-95%+ is a lot to ask.

Aaaand. Thank you for your continued effort. you rock.

B!

Edited by MrB

None of the images can be enlarged, and they are quite tiny at this point. I'm sure this is part of your planned refinement.

If i may be so brazen, i would suggest something. Switch all 3 parts to a slightly larger font, to make them easier on the eyes. It might have a lot to do with screen realestate, but i go CTRL+"+" to enlage the font at this point. (If it's a hassle to change it, screw it, it's easy enough to "zoom" on your own.)

Those constant voltage supply's look a lot like the constant current PSU people use for powering LED lighting arrays, so people need to double check what they are buying, but from what i've seen they are easy to get a hold of on eBay and the likes, and quite cheap. Not sure about efficiency, i'm guessing 90-95%+ is a lot to ask.

Aaaand. Thank you for your continued effort. you rock.

B!

Thanks, B.

I resized the photos so they're easier to see, but I hadn't thought of resizing the font. I'll give it a try. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

I think that is near perfect. I say near, coz there is always something that can be changed, but heck... I dunno what at this point. Is it possible to go back in to the first two parts and do the same change to the font?

Very nice. Cheers.

B!

I think that is near perfect. I say near, coz there is always something that can be changed, but heck... I dunno what at this point. Is it possible to go back in to the first two parts and do the same change to the font?

Very nice. Cheers.

B!

I resized the fonts in parts one and two, so they're the same as part three. See if that's good (thanks for the suggestion, I couldn't tell on my computer).

WSM B)

See if that's good

Very. If you want it better you need someone who knows how to work with forms, and do a "real" layout.

At this rate it's a really good informative blog, that, i have no shame saying this out loud, i will most likely steal and store offline, so i always have access to it, once your done.

Thank you for your time and effort.

B!

I just uploaded Part Four of the series on homegrown oxidizers, in the Blog Section.

Now, since it's a holiday weekend, I have more time to work on these blogs.

Enjoy!

WSM B)