APC Forum

Magnesium based flash powder not "making a bang"

print118

Those are some massive tubes to use as you intend. Why not start with the rockets? Then once you get that figured out, move to b.p. rockets and then you can use headers once you figure those out.

Just making massive (with those tube sizes, massive may be an understatement) firecrackers sounds like a good way to get hurt, or worse - someone else gets hurt, and probably won't get you many answers unless you are using them as part of a pyrotechnic device.... Just my two cents, I'm sure others will have input.

Now rocket candy fuel sounds pretty cool. Ive seem several ways of making those, big never made many myself because I moved to b.p. quickly.

There are several formulas for KN03 type smoke formulas, using baking soda to slow the burn. Then controlling the nozzle size to manipulate smoke disbursement, pressures, etc.

If you insist on going down the route you first mentioned, my only suggestion would to be start much smaller. Large reports aren't normally meant to be lit on the ground for legitimate pyro purposes. They are usually installed as a bottom shot or salute shell/header.

If you insist on going down the route you first mentioned, my only suggestion would to be start much smaller. Large reports aren't normally meant to be lit on the ground for legitimate pyro purposes. They are usually installed as a bottom shot or salute shell/header.

I have some 1/4 x 2 inch tubes that I was going to work on first. Baby steps. Its cheaper and safer. I also use a wireless remote to set anything off. My friend lives way out in the country and the detached barn has a room in it where we do all of our hobbies (firearms, reloading etc). I do appreciate your advice. Im kind of an information hog and once I get interested in something I want to learn as much as possible relating to it (including safety, which is one of my jobs at work). and then over analyze it.So for now Im interested in the construction of them and detailed how stuff works. I watched a video today that was a simplistic but effective aerial salute with stars. Im pretty good at Macgyveringstuff and being created, but I always assume there is something I missed safety or construction wise so I always ask questions. The main thing Im really wondering about is the structural integrity of the container and whether to use plastic or paper end caps. Also if putting a zip tie end to end will make a difference. I thought I read that 70/30 doesnt need heavy construction. Also, I use to make black powder fireworks with someone who really knew their stuff. When I read about people building in their early teens, I laugh to myself and think Im not the only one.

Edited by Skyboomer

I did forget to answer the basic questions, sorry.

1. With Indian Dark AL, you don't need room in the tube if diapering is how you are preparing it. Room in the tube is typically only needed for binary mixed (separate ingredients added to device, sealed up, and the handling during finishing does the mixing of the 2 components - then it's recommended to leave 1/4 to 1/3 open space.

2. Both plastic plugs and paper/chipboard end discs will work. One just requires more carful preparation than the other, depending on end use. For inserts, paper end discs will require careful glue seal, and additional pasted paper to ensure hot gasses stay out, especially around the fuse which is typically side fused. Plastic plugs for inserts can be glued in, filled with got glue if you want to be extra careful that they survive the break, and a good seal around the side fuse.

3. If you want to spike the inserts, I'd recommend pasted paper, gummed paper tape, and/or string soaked in glue. I couldn't speak to using plastic zip ties, but it doesn't sound like a good idea, even if pieces of broken plastic are the only concern.

4. If you are doing them on the ground, then in addition to a food safe stand-off, make sure to hang them with string above the ground to avoid flying rocks, dirt, etc.