APC Forum

Let’s see your BP!

Richtee

I'm gunna start using that. These new boots are the cats ass. 

• Haha 1

The Royal Gunpowder Mills at Waltham Abbey made the BP for the British Crown -Army Navy etc. (Hence the Royal in the title) they used Willow and Red Alder woods, and charcoaled them on site with up to a year's storage between harvest and charcoaling.

Maybe many people could do the research and find out what these trees are called in each country, and where they grow.

Also someone could find all sorts of readily available trees in their country and test the charcoal and to powder that they make.

One suggestion from the past years was " trees that grow quickly by water" if that helps. 

1 hour ago, Arthur said:

The Royal Gunpowder Mills at Waltham Abbey

I looked and could not find, but I could SWEAR I seen a rather exhaustive list of BP tests using like 40-50 charcoals somewhere...

Richtee, this website that Kevin was nice enough to save for us has the tests you mention. I downloaded it and unzipped it successfully, which is saying a lot for me ;) The file is titled Charcoal Tests. My contributions to the list were narrowleaf willow and staghorn sumac. The sumac (NOT poison sumac!) is found over much of North America. I like it because the bark is easy to take off the fresh wood by making a lengthwise slit and peeling it back. The wood exudes a sticky resin though, which is annoying. It makes very good black powder, which I've used in nozzleless rockets with excellent results.

• Like 2