APC Forum

Safe to use BP burst charge with H3 primed stars?

JTO

Sadly chlorate comps behave differently from perc comps -you will have to get used to it.

Sulphurless powder is available for making transitions from chlorate to sulphur comps. So use a BP spollette with one increment of sulphurless powder on the end to transition into H3 could be a useful practice. Chlorate stars could be coated in sulphurless powder or in NC lacquer as a barrier for sulphur/chlorates.

Ebay has had some lead dioxide electrodes from an Australian supplier recently (likely made in China) If you are OK with MMO then you could soon be Ok with lead dioxide. Having a supply of DIY perc would help a lot.

The second clip looks pretty good, the burn rate looks pretty close to ideal. The visible difference between that and my BP spolettes (5mm inner diameter, BP + 5% dextrin, rammed in wet) is that mine produce easily over a meter long trail of sparks :-)

I can't say really. Depends on too many things. Though I kind of lean on the assumption that "its probably going to break harder than I think" and go from there. Not great advice, I know. Really for me it has been trial and error, and making changes to correct those errors.

Edited by JTO

I'd think JTO's projects have to be viewed certain perspective.

A few premises for most Europeans:

-To fly under the radar is not an option, it's mandatory. "Getting legal" is not possible.
-Apart from (per-)chlorates: Nitrates and metal powders are under surveillance or might not be available to private individuals at all.
-The effort to produce your own perchlorate, in a good chlorate-free quality increases your efforts at least threefold or more compared to just chlorate. For special applications that might be OK, for the bulk - no way.

So if you are such an unreasonable character and still try to pursue this hobby, developing a full chlorate system is an interesting challange worth taking. Especially if you only do small scale stuff and development is done for the sake of itself.

If magnalium is at hand, something like this

https://www.skylighter.com/blogs/how-to-make-fireworks/rainbow-rubber-stars

tuned for chlorate might be an option.

I remember trying the reds and blues once and it seemed to work nicely, but I didnt make proper notes back then.

Considering spolettes:

That's an application where imho H3 is very well suited, maybe in combination with a similar blackmatch formula.

The fast burn is not a problem, but a benefit, because it makes timing more precise. Try to make multi breaks or a ring of reports and use a slow burning delay, then you know what i mean.

(Extreme example - burning speed is 1mm/sec and your working accuracy is maybe 0,5mm - the reports will be totally scattered!

crackcrackcrack--crack--crackcrack------crack)

The rocket rules also apply, you want good consistent compaction, dont want wrinkled tubes (no wonder why it burns so fast... ), waxing helps.

Edited by mabuse00