Photo
- - - - -

Safe to use BP burst charge with H3 primed stars?

black powder burst charge chlorate primer KClO3

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JTO

JTO

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 01:18 PM

Potassium chlorate is supposedly unstable with sulfur, is it OK to put stars primed with a H3 primer (75% HClO3 + 25% charcoal + some dextrin) into a device that has BP as burst charge and where they are in contact with each other?

#2 Arthur

Arthur

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 02:20 AM

Well it's certainly inadvisable.

Is it possible to add a layer of sulphurless BP as a second, outer, prime? Is it possible to use a chlorate burst powder?

#3 JTO

JTO

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 05:18 AM

Is it possible to add a layer of sulphurless BP as a second, outer, prime? Is it possible to use a chlorate burst powder?

I have an idea of what I might do. I'll put a few grams a BP and a couple of H3 primed stars in a small plastic container with a lid that opens easily, so that there will be no explosion if it detonates. Then, wearing a face shield and gloves, I am going to shake it as hard as I can. Then I will store it indefinitely and repeat every once in a while, to make sure it not has somehow sensitized. If nothing happens in a year's time, I'll deem it safe :-)

#4 JTO

JTO

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 05:19 AM

Is H3 faster as burst charge, so that I should use less? Should it be granulated, like BP?

#5 SharkWhisperer

SharkWhisperer

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 06:32 AM

I have an idea of what I might do. I'll put a few grams a BP and a couple of H3 primed stars in a small plastic container with a lid that opens easily, so that there will be no explosion if it detonates. Then, wearing a face shield and gloves, I am going to shake it as hard as I can. Then I will store it indefinitely and repeat every once in a while, to make sure it not has somehow sensitized. If nothing happens in a year's time, I'll deem it safe :-)

That's about the worst idea I've heard in a long time. "...shake it as hard as I can." ??? You actively going for the Darwin Award?

#6 sefrez

sefrez

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 08:22 AM

Is H3 faster as burst charge, so that I should use less? Should it be granulated, like BP?

I make chlorate based fireworks (no sulfur) and use H3 burst. Yes, it burns far more aggressively so you would have to be mindful in its substitution. I see people using around 10% shell mass of BP for lift where as I use around 3-4% H3 for lift. Get the two confused using 10% H3, and you will surely be informed after lift off (think cannon) or mortar explosion. I know the prior when I did ~8% on a tiny 1" shell (call it what you want.) Intended to get ~100 ft in the air. Got ~600ft instead. I granulate the H3 with 3-5% dextrin.

• kingkama and SharkWhisperer like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: black powder, burst charge, chlorate, primer, KClO3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users