APC Forum

Comets

qwezxc12

Ok, you have to remember that Freeman is possibly not familiar with specific formulas. If you here an anouncer and said, this shell have M-27. Would you know that It would mean mumble #27 glitter? He's old, and might not have read all the books. You really should give a full discription. Chrysanthemum shell to red glitter is really all that is needed.

By they way. You guys should watch out in Iowa in 2 years. I am going for Best first time class B competitor, and no one shall get in my way,

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• qwezxc12

• Mumbles

• psyco_1322

• Bonny

Hmm I might drive to Iowa in 2 years then... I won't be old enough to enter PGI though, at least I think not... I'll still bring some stuff :D

I never said that they can't be rammed or whatnot.  I ram all my comets up to 1", mostly because I don't make any bigger ones yet.  But the way Mormanman was describing it, would result in very weak comets and would definatly disintegrate upon lift/break.

Mumbles, I wasn't trying to be contradictory - it wasn't intended to read like that. I agree that flipping comp out of a mold will probably not work unless you're using a really stout binder, like epoxy or something. When I ram the 1.5in comets, it's in a brass comet pump, so they're consolidated pretty well.

I also should point out that primarily use Resorcinol resin binder for my comets. It's far superior to Dextrin strength-wise.

Well all he has to do is announce it, not understand it. The understanding is for teh audiance and judges.

If you seen him in his flash sub class rambling off random formulas at the speed of light youd expect him to atleast now what c-8 is. And it isnt a personal comp like yours.

• 1 month later...

I got a 2 pounds of Al turnings and the average size is 2x3mm. Could I use those for comets or it has to be smaller. I succsesfully shot a C6 comet and I was thinking about to add some turnings in this type of comet, or would it work better with greenmix and Al turnings. http://shrani.si/f/h/UR/4pApWjPA/3incometc6.avi

The picture of Al turnings:

http://shrani.si/t/3W/HJ/3guPhVNg/alturningscustom.jpg

Nice comets you got there, leosedf.

I've launched som 2inchers my self:

The green mix and

MgAl comp (really bright in real life!).

Crysantemum 6 and D1 Glitter.

2 inch comets, Chrys #8 with Ti. Rammed.

Wow, awesome! Nice job on those. Just dextrin for binder?

Gee... forgot that. Yes Dextrin as a binder. 5%

I will take pics of the homemade tools used.

Maybe pics of the comets too.

• 2 weeks later...
Do to differing burn rates, there is no standard or accepted ratio. It has to be tweaked to each individual one. 1/10 is not a bad place to start though.

Hmm... going to plan on making 2" comet pump, but how much composition does one comet need, and what would the best diameter for the cometpump be?

I use around 50g of composition in 2" comets, and the I.D of my pump is 4,5cm. That allows me to wrap it with duct tape, and there is also room enough for a thin quick match.

Probably not the best diameter though, but it works fine. ;)

4.5 cm is actually a pretty good size. It's what I'm looking into. Anyway, I'd suggest using paper over duct tape. It will actually burn away cleanly instead of bringing whatever nasties burning duct tape produces back to earth.

Might not be the best math here, but my 7/8" comets take around 10-15g each. Assuming 1.75" comets are twice as large in every dimension, you get a volume increase by a factor of 8 (2^3). That means they should weigh in around 80-120g. It really depends on the composition. Less mass for something like tiger tail, more mass for something with Ti or metal fuels.

I use around 50g of composition in 2" comets, and the I.D of my pump is 4,5cm. That allows me to wrap it with duct tape, and there is also room enough for a thin quick match.

Probably not the best diameter though, but it works fine. ;)

Hi there, I love your D1 & C8 comets.

I read that you use 50gr comp. per comet. What is the dimention of your commets?

Diameter = 4,5 cm

Heigt = ?? cm

Do you ramm or press them?

I want to make a few for new year.

Greetz.

I don't have any D1 comets or C6 comets lying around so I am not able to meassure one, anyways, the height of the comet depends on the composition.

I press them in a homemade hydraulic press.

Instead of making a powder die, couldn't one just use a comet pump to create the pucks - Or the other way around?

I really don't like making multiple tools if I can save half the effort and make one!

Instead of making a powder die, couldn't one just use a comet pump to create the pucks - Or the other way around?

I really don't like making multiple tools if I can save half the effort and make one!

The 3in comet pump I made is my powder die; no reason why you couldn't do the same...it might be a bit tedious if you're using a small (1in - 2in) comet pump as a powder die, though.

I don't know if anyone does this, but I ram my comets. I wet them with the dextrin and everything and put it in a 1" ID tube and ram it. They turn out pretty good, they don't break in the air either. Its pretty cool.

I don't know if anyone does this, but I ram my comets. I wet them with the dextrin and everything and put it in a 1" ID tube and ram it. They turn out pretty good, they don't break in the air either. Its pretty cool.

I do exactly the same for 1" comets. I have a pc. of 1" ID stainless pipe and a wood rammer. I've had a few crumble a bit, but for the most part they're good. I just need to work on getting the length of the comet more consistent than a fat felt marker line. I guess I could cut them to length...

They work good. Never had a problem except the tube wasn't as stable as I wanted it and it fell over. It was pretty funny.