APC Forum

Homemade Visco fuse machine ! Almost done !

Svimmer

I also have a problem with the threads not collecting the powder as it should. there is coming a pile of powder under the plates.
Edit:
Could it be that the powder die dosen't have a V enough ? so the powder dosen't get correctly into the threads ?

You're making a lot of fuse it seems :)

I agree with @Simoski about the turns per cm being the cause of the spilling of powder. In the file I uploaded with all the design parameters, I calculated them for a "coverage" of 80% which I picked from looking at existing visco fuse. Looking at your fuse I think you have a fair bit lower coverage, giving holes that the powder can fall out of. I'd say you need to increase the turns/cm of the first plate a bit, and the turns/cm of the second plate a fairly significant amount. You could also get thicker thread if you have some.

You're making a lot of fuse it seems :)

I agree with @Simoski about the turns per cm being the cause of the spilling of powder. In the file I uploaded with all the design parameters, I calculated them for a "coverage" of 80% which I picked from looking at existing visco fuse. Looking at your fuse I think you have a fair bit lower coverage, giving holes that the powder can fall out of. I'd say you need to increase the turns/cm of the first plate a bit, and the turns/cm of the second plate a fairly significant amount. You could also get thicker thread if you have some.

The top plate spins 360 rpm. it might be that the collector drum is to small so it pulls the fuse way to fast. it makes fuse alot faster then other machines with engines ive seen.

In the file I uploaded with all the design parameters,

For what ever reason, the file doesn't seem to be available anymore.

The top plate spins 360 rpm. it might be that the collector drum is to small so it pulls the fuse way to fast.

The actual RPM isn't THAT important. The ratio, of revolutions, in relation to fuse feed length, is. To increase coverage you need to either add more spools of thread, use thicker thread, or slow down the feed rate. Or a combination. Also, i know people have been "tuning" the fuse production using straight up sugar. It wont burn, but is pretty much as cheap as it can be, and you can tweak the machine until you get a result that looks like it will be serviceable, and start using BP at that point. A bonus of that is, no fire hazard while tweaking.

Edited by MrB

For what ever reason, the file doesn't seem to be available anymore.

The actual RPM isn't THAT important. The ratio, of revolutions, in relation to fuse feed length, is. To increase coverage you need to either add more spools of thread, use thicker thread, or slow down the feed rate. Or a combination. Also, i know people have been "tuning" the fuse production using straight up sugar. It wont burn, but is pretty much as cheap as it can be, and you can tweak the machine until you get a result that looks like it will be serviceable, and start using BP at that point. A bonus of that is, no fire hazard while tweaking.

Takk

Thanks Sleipner

Edited by Simoski

http://bldr.no/BaI

Another problem. either i need to find a way to get the fuse tighter so it wont have that problem or i need another coating device lol.

Edit:

Also the thread dosent burn up. when i used polyester it did but not with cotton.

Burn test

https://youtu.be/YN6sIpsuNww

Edited by Svimmer

Soaking the string in nitrate, or making your BP mixture a bit more oxidizer rich can help to eliminate the smoldering cotton.

http://bldr.no/Bbv

Ive done few tests now. Im going to make a new machine im pretty sure the problem is the pulley wheels is not 100% round so it spins uneven. and yes the secound disc is going to spin faster on the new machine.

Excellent Tai vid there.

It gives me inspiration and makes me wanna blow shit up!

Loving the machine Svimmer

Edited by Simoski
  • Like 1

it looks good

:)

the spitting fire worries me though!

:(

can you blow it out with your own lungs?

it looks good

:)

the spitting fire worries me though!

:(

can you blow it out with your own lungs?

There was little too mutch kno3 in the comp i used. but no i cant blow it out ive tried :D

• 3 weeks later...

Finally done with the new machine. Im pretty sure it will weave alot nicer than the last one since the plates spins a lot faster now and the drum pulls slower !

Also the second plate spins faster then the first one !

Just need to wait for the thread i ordered pretty sure 15.000 yards is enough for this machine for awhile :D

Edited by Svimmer

Finally tested the machine and it is weaving nice but after the coating device it get uneven :/

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

You will need a microcontroller and motor controllers to control these steppers. Of course, you will have the added benefit of being able to finely control the relative speed of the discs.

• Like 1

You will need a microcontroller and motor controllers to control these steppers. Of course, you will have the added benefit of being able to finely control the relative speed of the discs.

Yeah thats the plan :)

• 9 months later...

Every time someone gets close to a working visco machine they stop posting and their vids vanish, without another post ever.

I've noticed the same. They seem to get as far as a working prototype, then nothing. I suspect they are "builders" that didn't understand what they were getting into. Building the first machine is maybe half the work, you still have to get it working properly. That can take a lot of trial and error, IIRC Lloyd called running his Bickford machine "a four hour heart attack".