APC Forum

High Power Laser Pointer

ActionTekJackson

Ok, I've got a new infatuation with lasers and being able to use it to melt things or ignite matches. So far as I understand any laser 200mW or higher will do this. I've done some reading and supposedly it is possible to convert various types of laser pointers to high power by simply removing resistors or simply finding the right laser. Much information is a little hard to come by, this is the best info I've found DVD Drive to High Power Laser I tried this but I must have damaged the laser whilst removing it. My question is can I get a cheap laser pointer and change it to high power (IE burning things quality) and how? My main goal really is to make one that can ignite fuse, thus eliminating the need for a lighter and no more breezy day hassles. Anyone help?

No more breezy day hassles would be great! I have been thinking about lighting fuses with a hot wire for a while, liek the NiCr wire in toasters. You could have a little hand held battery operated thing and you just stick the fuse in a hole and hold down a button untill the wire ignites it. No wind troubles. Might kill the wire after a few lights though...

As for lasers... damn thats interesting! But i have no knowledge that i think could help you.

Yea, the nicrome works, a bit of a pain, but it works. Might as well just make electric ignitors though instaed of using it to light a fuse, just use it as the fuse. Of course depending on what device you're wanting to ignite.

IMO there's no way a laserpointer's diode could be pushed to deliver such power levels without destroying the thing. Pumping more power into the system would just overheat the junction and kill it. A cd writers diode might hypothetically reach such levels as to be able to light a matchead (at least for a short periond of time) but it requires an intelligent power source that tracks the varying resistance of the laser diode and prevents the diode from absorbing too much power.

Of course a safer route would be to obtain a laser diode with a suitable power rating and not try to "overcharge" a weaker component.

Or one could just use a windproof gas lighter to conquer those breezy day hassles :rolleyes:

IMO there's no way a laserpointer's diode could be pushed to deliver such power levels without destroying the thing. Pumping more power into the system would just overheat the junction and kill it. A cd writers diode might hypothetically reach such levels as to be able to light a matchead (at least for a short periond of time) but it requires an intelligent power source that tracks the varying resistance of the laser diode and prevents the diode from absorbing too much power. 

Of course a safer route would be to obtain a laser diode with a suitable power rating and not try to "overcharge" a weaker component.

Or one could just use a windproof gas lighter to conquer those  breezy day hassles  :rolleyes:

Theoretically a cooling system could be devised no? Keep in mind, I just happen to think that burning things with a home made laser would the shit. Seriously, how cool is that? Of course I'll be safe with it, safety glasses, no one is to be in front of the laser at any time, etc. I'd really hate to make someone, or myself, go blind. I'll post more links on this soon, not in the position to do it right now.

*edit*

What's the likely hood of making a gas laser?

Saw this a few weeks ago:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/497525/how_t...r_save_100s_of/

Not sure if it's gonna work, note that it's the same person who made:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/289485/binar...at_scary_stuff/

Yea, that video is what got me thinking about this. I'm not sure of that actually works, after researching plans-kits.com they have kits for this process but it only improves a laser from a 5mW laser to about 25 mW. I did find a pdf file with instructions on how to assemble a CO2 tube laser, of course with their provided parts but at first glance it looks like I may be able to find most of the parts at my local home depot. I'll find that pdf link and post it here soon. I would really love to make one of these, however I don't really want to spend the $500 dollars for it. Anyone have any ideas?

I used to modify laserpointers for higher power however i havnt had a look at some of the newer models, i once modded a <5mw leadlight 110 green pointer to 60mw. many instructions are on this site http://www.greenlasers.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/...cgi?board=green

Thanks man, this really helps, there is alot of good information on that forum. Much appreciated :D

If you have noticed my avatar you can tell I'm a laser freak. I've been wanting to try that DVD thing, I just haven't gotten around to it. I think Wicked Laser's "Nexus" (95mW) can light a fuse on fire. So I don't think you would need to make one up to 200mW, but if you have the money and time a 200mW would burn faster and surely be a lot cooler!

IIRC lasers above 55mW(55mW can burn with a good lens, 75 mW can burn lensless depending) can be used for burning popping etc. My birthday is coming up and I am hoping for a good one green laser(Mom is paying for a portion and I'll pay the rest if I get one) I've been looking at either the 80-100mW or 100-120 mW laser from lucentoptics.com.(cheaper than wickedlasers and has good safety devices built in) I already have a green 5mW, but you can't use that to light black powder, matches, or fuse from a distance can you. :D

If you plan on "modding" a laser be careful as the higher output can ruin your laser w/out a good heatsink and excess IR light will leak out and potentially ruin your eyes. Most higher powered lasers on ebay (for example 100mW) are actually say 80mW IR light and only 20 mW green, and aren't properly filtered so you can hurt your eyes without knowing it.

the laser I am interested in

http://www.lucentoptics.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=17

awesome, glad to see some good interest here. I was a little worried. If anyone knows electronics and can tell me how to modify the laser below to put out its max output that would be awesome. It looks like a modulated laser since it has 3 connectors from the diode itself. So my guess is they are routing the positive back into the 3rd prong to modulate the laser to a lower level. Just a note for those who don't know, with a modulated laser you can control the output power but adding voltage to it. IE. +3v = 0 output : +0v = Max output I just have no idea which resistor is the one that is regulating the limiting voltage, all I'd have to do is fry it and make it non functioning then I'd get the most out of the laser that I could. Anyone?

post-10-1176957687_thumb.jpg

Here's a better look at the resistors, no idea which one, I'm thinking its not one of the lower three as that is the negative polarity from the battery. The modulation comes from + which is at the top and appears to be direct into the diode, meaning the switch button only completes the circuit at the negative end. There are two at the top, one looks like the other three, the second one, more to the right, looks a bit more important, bigger and whatnot, man I really wish I knew more electronics, and I'm a lead computer technician too.... *sigh* anyway, perhaps someone already knows...

post-10-1176957903_thumb.jpg

i think id need a higher definition pic to realy see whats going on there tbh as i hacnt seen that circiut design before

Actiontek, make sure your camera is in macro mode (flower icon) when you take pictures of things that close to the lens with a point-and-shoot camera.

awesome, glad to see some good interest here. I was a little worried. If anyone knows electronics and can tell me how to modify the laser below to put out its max output that would be awesome. It looks like a modulated laser since it has 3 connectors from the diode itself. So my guess is they are routing the positive back into the 3rd prong to modulate the laser to a lower level. Just a note for those who don't know, with a modulated laser you can control the output power but adding voltage to it. IE. +3v = 0 output : +0v = Max output I just have no idea which resistor is the one that is regulating the limiting voltage, all I'd have to do is fry it and make it non functioning then I'd get the most out of the laser that I could. Anyone?

Actually, I think there is an easier mod available for you. I'm suspecting that sqaure thing with a circle thing in it is the potentiometer. If it is take a small potentiometer and slowly turn it counter clockwise and keep testing out the laser after you move it a little bit. Keep on turning it and once it stops working, move the pot back a little and you have reached the highest output level available on the pot mod (20-35 mW if it was a <5mW). I tried some other methods to mod my first laser and I busted it so now I just use that mod.

Actually, I think there is an easier mod available for you. I'm suspecting that sqaure thing with a circle thing in it is the potentiometer. If it is take a small potentiometer and slowly turn it counter clockwise and keep testing out the laser after you move it a little bit. Keep on turning it and once it stops working, move the pot back a little and you have reached the highest output level available on the pot mod (20-35 mW if it was a <5mW). I tried some other methods to mod my first laser and I busted it so now I just use that mod.

Its hard to tell but it looks more like the microswitch to turn it on, in which case it has no potentiometer that i can see which would mean making alterations to the circiut itself.

Sorry about the picture quality, I did have my camera on macro but if I left the flash on it was way too washed out, and when I left it off the camera auto adjusts and keeps the lens open longer so my little movements make it blury like that. I'll try and see if I can change that setting. Anyway, as far as a potentiometer, there are not movable/turnable parts in this thing. I really wished there was it would be so much easier. Would it be possible to do away with the curcuit board entirely? I mean I can wire my own switch it should just be a matter of not over powering it and determining the diodes polarity right?

It would be nice if there was a mod for those crappy red lasers you get for a few bucks on fares.

http://www.walshcomptech.com/repairfaq/sam/slasptr.jpg

One like this.

There is, I just don't know it. So, anyone here know the specifics on how to construct a CO2 laser? Such as what kind of mirrors are needed possibly where to get them, which side of the mirror the lense goes on? Here is a very rough paint diagram of one of those lasers.

post-10-1177011223_thumb.jpg

One of the mirrors has to be semi-transparent to the radiation. That's where the beam exits and thats where you put the lens. On the outside of the mirror that is. If u would put it inside the resonator chamber you would break the path of the beam and scatter it. The toughest part is getting the mirrors perfectly alinged and keeping them alighed to make it work in the first place.

One of the mirrors has to be semi-transparent to the radiation. That's where the beam exits and thats where you put the lens. On the outside of the mirror that is. If u would put it inside the resonator chamber you would break the path of the beam and scatter it. The toughest part is getting the mirrors perfectly alinged and keeping them alighed to make it work in the first place.

Gotchya... makes sense. Most likely a sealed pre-filled tube with internal mirrors would be best.

I would not have thought so even though my experience is based in dpss lasers. Possibly increasing the voltage or current may do something but im just guessing