APC Forum

CIA versus Pulverone

AlteredMatter

I have one of those as well and other than turning a bit slow it works well. That uses Lloyd's jar!

I have one of those as well and other than turning a bit slow it works well. That uses Lloyd's jar!

My jar is clearly pvc pipe and ends glued together.

vizi

I saw a mill on one of the forums that had a 24"+ drum and the guy was using pool balls. I don't remember if he was milling BP or just components but the pic made my junk draw up and I was a complete newbie at the time.

My jar is clearly pvc pipe and ends glued together.

vizi

We affectionately call that the Sponenjar. Here's a pic from Lloyd's book "Ball Milling and Theory" from 1995:

post-20116-0-65598700-1495761304_thumb.jpg

post-20116-0-31033300-1495761395_thumb.jpg

Edited by OldMarine

One of the advantages of screen-mixed black powder is that at a moments notice one can whip up a few grams (or pounds) of good black powder in a few minutes- if the potassium nitrate and charcoal are already milled. Done it lots of times. Little or no storage, eh :)

Mumb,

I've never challenged the 'explosion limit' on jar size. I personally have never used one larger than 10" in diameter.

But there are so many variables, it might be hard to get to a 'number' that made it clearly safe® or clearly dangerous. All I know is, except for lids coming off, most explosion accidents have been with very hard media, or very large jars.

If you've read the 'stuff', we DID do an 'explosion of a mill jar' test, just to see what sort of damage it might do.

The PVC was the dangerous part. The lead media didn't travel far, or with enough velocity to do much damage.

Lloyd