APC Forum

Spolette for 2" can shell

DaMounty

Last night while rolling and ramming I came across an issue of the first inner roll of the tube coming down on itself when ramming. Has anyone had this issue? Is there a trick to eliminate this?

Before ramming the ram slid easily through the tube no resistance.

...DaM

first turn not glued well enough, thick paper suffers more from adhesion issues than thin paper as it doesnt bend around a tight radius as easily. Did you roll the tube with the grain running parallel to the former?

Edited by Col

I never even thought oh gluing the first turn...I guess just a thine line of Elmers on the first 1/2" of paper would do the trick?

Thanks...DaM

I would glue the entire sheet generously, roll it rapidly and slide it off the former gently while wet.

I prefer to use virgin kraft for small id tubes, these are 6mm id x 8mm od with 12mm (inner ring) and 15mm (outer ring) of bp grain.

post-10522-0-31472300-1453044371_thumb.jpg

timing test with the tubes using willow bp, 3 sec/inch

https://youtu.be/_fBPtMSgc_4

Edited by Col
  • Like 1

OldMarine what do you mean with a definitve aource for spolettes? The only commercial product i know of, that commes close to a spolette is spolette.ina.0, which is nothing else then monetti fuse in shrink tubing.

And why do you think timefuse is going to be banned, i heard that rumar now quite often, but also a lot that that is nonsense and the non belivers (that it get banned) usally have more and better arguments. Like lloyd just posted short time ago at passfire.

I meant a tutorial on rolling/ramming spollettes, not a source to purchase from. I want to make all I can myself rather than relying on a prefab product. If I can make it? I wanna know how.

viking pyrotechnics has a tutorial on rolling your own. that is the way I do it. I looked on u tube for it and could not find it. ask him he might have the link.

memo

You know i used to hate spoolets, i had a delayed action sometimes. Then i watched Paul molders video and found the problem. Now i like them. You may have found out why your powder is burning so fast DA.

OldMarine what do you mean with a definitve aource for spolettes? The only commercial product i know of, that commes close to a spolette is spolette.ina.0, which is nothing else then monetti fuse in shrink tubing.

And why do you think timefuse is going to be banned, i heard that rumar now quite often, but also a lot that that is nonsense and the non belivers (that it get banned) usally have more and better arguments. Like lloyd just posted short time ago at passfire.

I don't think OldMarine meant banned in the literal sense.

Just recently one of the best suppliers was shut down by the ATF for selling and shipping time fuse. At about the same time, Cannonfuse and Pyrodirect pulled the time fuse listings from their respective pages. I don't know all the details other than the supply looks to be bleak for those who aren't licensed, or able to pick it up in person.

• Like 1

Thanks Frederick, I thought I'd made my intentions clear when I posted Paul Moulder's tutorial on spollettes and bees earlier in the thread.

I can buy time fuse now but would rather learn to make my own stuff. Figuring it out and making it happen is one of the best parts of this hobby.

• Like 2

OldMarine you have passfire acces? They have a good tutorial in the maltese 6" 3-break cylinder article.

Memo the tutorial of vikingnis missing since he deleted his channel and started a new one, where he didn't reupload everything. Just pm himon youtube and I'm pretty sure he can reupload it.

Ok I glued the entire paper rolled it up and rammed with 1.25" worth of BP. By my count 2.035 sec of burn time. Good enough for me. Now time to get some shells up. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfWWm_2UFoQ&feature=youtu.be

DaM

Edited by DaMounty

I wonder if my powder size has anything to do with the rate of burn?

I just purchased some Goex 4FG and the particle size of the commercial compared to mine is night and day. I use everyday aluminum window screen to granulate the BP I was using for the spolettes.

Can't wait till tonight to see the difference.

DaM

Better test it with a nozzle before you put it on a shell. It might come back to you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Store bought Goex 4Fg rammed to 1". 5/16" id tube rolled from manala file folder. On the frame by frame I get 2.035 seconds. Works for me :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c211XvHxb3s

DaM

Edited by DaMounty

Now that's more real, but i still don't see a nozzle.

dyno, are you talking about a nosing? You mentioned earlier in this thread that a nosing with BM will slow the timing down, I have never experienced that. How are you finishing your spolettes?

WB

Putting a nosing with Black match on mine slowed the timing down from 2.28 to 2.64sec. per inch.. When you get up to 5or 6 increments that can through your timing off as much as a sec., if my math is right.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/dynomike1/20160207140701.jpg

Dyno,

That's been somehow 'misinterpreted' on your part. A nosing cannot do anything except speed the burn, if it does anything at all.

Any time you do anything whatsoever to increase back-pressure on BP, it burns faster.

Lloyd

Yea Lloyd that's true. It might be because of the length of the BM in the tube and the nosing. I really don't know why, i just know it went from .81 to .66 sec. per 1/4" (out of the same batch of powder) by putting a nosing on it.

I can't tell from the photo, are you using a single strand of black match in the nosing?

WB

Edited by WonderBoy

I really don't know why, i just know it went from .81 to .66 sec. per 1/4" (out of the same batch of powder) by putting a nosing on it.

------------------

Wait a minute! I just re-read your post. You keep flip-flopping your story. First it gets slower, now it gets faster!

All along, you've been telling us it got SLOWER when you added the nosing. What you just wrote is evidence that it got FASTER when you added nosing, which is exactly what would have been expected, if the nosing was too strong, or the spolette powder not pressed hard enough.

Also, your powder seems extraordinarily slow! Spolettes benchmarked with Goex Meal-D tend to burn somewhere around 2 seconds per INCH. Yours is roughly half as fast. You earlier posted figures for 2.28-2.64 sec/inch. Now you're posting 2.64-3.24 seconds per inch.

1) Please get your story straight, or there's little chance that anyone can help you, rationally.

2) What IS the real story?

3) What are you using for powder?

Lloyd

Ok i guess i got my numbers mixed up, since Al dropped off the grid i have been having charcoal issues and trying to allow for this. Anyway my last test came out to 2.64sec. per in. I am good with that right now since 1.5" gives me .3.96sec. Now i am milling ERC so i will have to retest my new spoolets. WB that was 7 strands of BM. Oh i forgot my timing stops when the fire starts out of the nosing. I also might have choked the nosing down also.

You could try to vent your nosing. This is a pretty common practice actually. Pierce the nosing below the tie off and above the tube with an awl. If it's not vented, there can be a very slight apparent delay while the end of the spolette is pressurized, but hasn't burned through yet.

I'm not saying this is responsible for the potential difference in timings, just something to think about.

Another thing to think about is the tube you're using. I often had trouble with those thin spiral wound tubes. Some sources were fine, and others were not. I don't know what sort of quality ones you have, but honestly I haven't seen the good ones in almost 10 years. They're easy to split, and if there's a groove on the interior it can cause small jumps. They also tended to compress in my experience, which may affect the accuracy of your BP column length, depending on how you're measuring.